Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 22:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Wireless driver packages for Puppy2
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 7 of 7 [105 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
rafa1215


Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 84
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep 2006, 18:30    Post subject:  

tempestuous,

I have a motorola wireless router WR850GP and a motorola wireless pci card
WN825GP

Motorola has Linux drivers on their site
Should I use their's or yours?
http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm
I used the wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup and it lit up my card and recognized it
Now i have to configure that conf file to get it to commuinicate with my router which sends out DHCP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5270
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep 2006, 19:19    Post subject:  

violetdream,
No, sorry, I won't be updating these drivers. As I mentioned in an earlier post on July 29 in this thread, they remain useful as a reference for people who compile their own drives in the future. By unzipping these dotpups, you can often find extra firmware files and utilities not included in the main driver source code.

rafa1215
Your wireless router, of course, requires no driver at all.
The Motorola WN825GP PCI card has a Broadcom chipset, so the bcm43xx-softmac driver is the one of choice.

wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup is a package of Windows drivers for use with ndiswrapper, so is unrelated to my Linux driver packages.
There are many other threads on this forum regarding ndiswrapper.

The download link you provided is for (old) Motorola SM56 soft modem drivers, nothing to do with wifi at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rafa1215


Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 84
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep 2006, 20:07    Post subject:  

Thanks for clearing that up


tempestuous wrote:
violetdream,
No, sorry, I won't be updating these drivers. As I mentioned in an earlier post on July 29 in this thread, they remain useful as a reference for people who compile their own drives in the future. By unzipping these dotpups, you can often find extra firmware files and utilities not included in the main driver source code.

rafa1215
Your wireless router, of course, requires no driver at all.
The Motorola WN825GP PCI card has a Broadcom chipset, so the bcm43xx-softmac driver is the one of choice.

wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup is a package of Windows drivers for use with ndiswrapper, so is unrelated to my Linux driver packages.
There are many other threads on this forum regarding ndiswrapper.

The download link you provided is for (old) Motorola SM56 soft modem drivers, nothing to do with wifi at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
violetdream

Joined: 15 Apr 2006
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep 2006, 00:27    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
violetdream,
No, sorry, I won't be updating these drivers. As I mentioned in an earlier post on July 29 in this thread, they remain useful as a reference for people who compile their own drives in the future. By unzipping these dotpups, you can often find extra firmware files and utilities not included in the main driver source code.


I'm not sure where your original post stating this is, but I'm disapointed at your choice. Of course, it is up to you whether you choose to maintain these drivers or not and I appreciate all you've done so far, but many Puppy users are beginners and are quite intimidated by compiling their own things. I'm not quite what you would call a beginner but even I couldn't figure out how to get things to compile - I'm just not a long term linux user. I know a solution would be to use ndiswrapper, but often the range is pathetic compared to the native drivers. I'm just disapointed because I would like to update puppy, but I'm held back because of wireless drivers unavailable for the most current versions (2.10 now). Would anyone else be willing to step up and take tempestuous's place? It would be a great service to all the Puppy users who are still beginners and cannot compile on their own (or don't have a good enough computer to consider compiling on).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5270
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep 2006, 22:22    Post subject:  

Two recent synergies may make it easier for wifi drivers to be updated in the future:
- the new T2 development system
- several wifi drivers are being merged into the mainstream Linux kernel from version 2.6.18
See http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=69635

violetdream, if MADWiFi is what you want, it was included in the package list for Puppy 2.10alpha http://www.puppyos.net/news/comments.php?y=06&m=08&entry=entry060827-093218
Barry has explained that this means the MADWiFi driver will be in the next Puppy release AFTER 2.10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5270
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2006, 08:02    Post subject:  

If/when additional wifi drivers become available in future Puppy releases, I will package the necessary firmware and hotplug "extras".
For the current release (2.10) 5 such packages are needed now, so I thought I would start the ball rolling by packaging these: Atmel, HostAP, IPW2100, IPW2200, Prism54.
These dotpups are at Mark's site http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/wifi-driver-firmware/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2006, 12:48    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Barry has explained that this means the MADWiFi driver will be in the next Puppy release AFTER 2.10.


I do not see MADWiFi in 2.11

Did it get delayed or is it somewhere I am not looking, please?

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2006, 15:42    Post subject:  

edoc wrote:
tempestuous wrote:
Barry has explained that this means the MADWiFi driver will be in the next Puppy release AFTER 2.10.

I do not see MADWiFi in 2.11
Did it get delayed or is it somewhere I am not looking, please?


OK, found MADWiFi. Downloaded and installed.

Per the instructions I opened Console (rxvt), entered the first code and
received the following result.

Code:
sh-3.00# modprobe ath_pci
WARNING: Error inserting ath_hal (/lib/modules/2.6.16.7/net/wireless/madwifi/ath_hal.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting wlan (/lib/modules/2.6.16.7/net/wireless/madwifi/wlan.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting ath_rate_sample (/lib/modules/2.6.16.7/net/wireless/madwifi/ath_rate_sample.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting ath_pci (/lib/modules/2.6.16.7/net/wireless/madwifi/ath_pci.ko): Invalid module format
sh-3.00#


It breaks eth0. I had to issue "ifconfig eth0 up" and then walk through
Setup-Ethernet/network Wizard to restore a wired connection until I
am able to get wireless working again.

This did not happen in prior versions of MADWiFi.

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5270
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2006, 00:08    Post subject:  

edoc wrote:
I do not see MADWiFi in 2.11

This was Barry's intention, at the same time as Puppy moves to the new 2.6.18.x kernel, but 2.11 became an "intermediate" release.
Wifi drivers (and some others) for Puppy 2.12 have been announced on the developer forum http://www.puppyos.net/news/comments.php?y=06&m=10&entry=entry061019-222209
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2006, 18:16    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
edoc wrote:
I do not see MADWiFi in 2.11

This was Barry's intention, at the same time as Puppy moves to the new 2.6.18.x kernel, but 2.11 became an "intermediate" release.
Wifi drivers (and some others) for Puppy 2.12 have been announced on the developer forum http://www.puppyos.net/news/comments.php?y=06&m=10&entry=entry061019-222209


Thanks! I see the post. Is the failure to compile the 'linux-wlan-ng' package a temporary
problem or does it mean that it will not be included in 2.12?

Wireless modules compiled
Thursday, October 19, 2006, 10:22 PM
I've compiled more modules for the 2.6.18.1 kernel. This time it is wireless modules.

I was unable to compile the 'linux-wlan-ng' package.
Compiled the Texas Instruments 'acx100' driver okay.
Compiled the Admtek 'adm8211' driver.
Compiled the Atmel 'at76_usb' driver, for the at76c503a chip.
Compiled the Madwifi drivers, for the Atheros chips.
Compiled the Ralink 'rt2400', 'rt2500', 'rt2570' and 'rt61' drivers.
Compiled the Zydas 'zd1211' driver.

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5270
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2006, 21:05    Post subject:  

Further down that developer forum post you will see that I suggested to Barry that only the PCMCIA version of the linux-wlan-ng driver might be failing to compile, and it's possible to disable this particular driver in order to compile the other versions.
As to the outcome? Wait until 2.12 is released, and run "modinfo prism2_usb" to see if the USB version is available.
If your Prism2-based device is NOT USB, then you don't need linux-wlan-ng. Use the HostAP driver instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2006, 23:03    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Further down that developer forum post you will see that I suggested to Barry that only the PCMCIA version of the linux-wlan-ng driver might be failing to compile, and it's possible to disable this particular driver in order to compile the other versions.
As to the outcome? Wait until 2.12 is released, and run "modinfo prism2_usb" to see if the USB version is available.
If your Prism2-based device is NOT USB, then you don't need linux-wlan-ng. Use the HostAP driver instead.



I have an internally mounted NL-5354MP Plus Aries2(F) - 1.00
The chip is labeled Atheros AR5213A-00 A19911C 1804

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5270
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2006, 01:51    Post subject:  

Well your device is neither USB, nor Prism2-based. linux-wlan-ng has no relevance to your situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2006, 08:42    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Well your device is neither USB, nor Prism2-based. linux-wlan-ng has no relevance to your situation.


It is all very confusing to me! I went through a bunch of wireless nics before installing
this one internally and getting it to work.

Now that it has stopped working in 2.11 I am back on wired until I figure out what to do
to get it working again.

If not possible under 2.11 does it appear that 2.12 will restore the lost functionality, please?

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
setecio

Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 326
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 17:13    Post subject:  

Bookmarked for info.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 7 [105 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0898s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0057s) ][ GZIP on ]