Wireless driver packages for Puppy2

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
tempestuous

#76 Post by tempestuous »

donde wrote:So, as I understand it, the WPA supplicant you show in your drivers list should work with my zd1211b, by following the readme?
Yes.
The correct command line parameter for wpa_supplicant to interact with the Zydas driver is the generic "wext", so your main command will be -

wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

donde

#77 Post by donde »

tempestuous wrote
Yes.
The correct command line parameter for wpa_supplicant to interact with the Zydas driver is the generic "wext", so your main command will be -
Thanks very much. Would not have known about "wext". Another question:
Once encryption is enabled, is there a way to disable it, and then enable it again?

Don

tempestuous

#78 Post by tempestuous »

Encryption settings are contained within your wifi access point/router. Refer to your router's documentation.
Normally you access these settings with a web browser from an ethernet-connected workstation.

When setting up a wifi driver for the first time, it's certainly a good idea to initially disable encryption, to isolate potential problems.

Spindoctor

#79 Post by Spindoctor »

I just tried to use the bcm43xx-devicescape driver with my Belkin F5D7011 PCMCIA-Card.
It doesn't actually work...
It says

Code: Select all

sh-3.1# modprobe bcm43xx-d80211
WARNING: Error inserting 80211 (/lib/modules/2.6.16.7/net/d80211/80211.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx_d80211 (/lib/modules/2.6.16.7/net/wireless/bxm43xx-d80211/bcm43xx-d80211.ko): Invalid module format
I'm going to use ndiswrapper again, which is - as some people say - not so good.

Any suggestions?

PeteTX

#80 Post by PeteTX »

donde wrote:Looking at the ZyDAS site...
donde, I don't know that I'ld be getting the latest drivers from their site any more. Atheros apparently just bought them out a few days ago, and the ZyDAS site is now a mirror of the Atheros site. There is no information for the ZYDAS products, the old download links are now broken, and the new URLs have been changed and pretty much hidden.

(To get there, click "Products & Technology", scroll down to the bottom of the links on the left and then click -
"Taiwan Research & Development Center", then click "Downloads".)

My understanding is that while the original Linux driver was contributed by ZyDAS, the ZD1211 driver is being actively maintained by the open source community -

http://zd1211.ath.cx

and the download page at -

http://zd1211.ath.cx/download/

A quick check confirmed that the most recent files contained in the driver on the ZyDAS site are several months older than the latest version (r83) found at the link above.

These same folks are also working on a complete rewrite of a new, improved Linux driver, called ZD1211rw, see -
http://zd1211.ath.cx/wiki/DriverRewrite

They gave a short presentation about this at the Linux Wireless developers summit, see -
http://www.deine-taler.de/zd1211/zd1211-wisu.pdf

Which says, among other things, that...
"Zydas was not capable of writing a decent driver"
Their new rewrite version has now been included in the official mainline Linux kernals as of 2.6.18-rc1.

Unfortunately, they are not providing backwards compability for the older kernals, and I think Puppy is still a few versions behind that?
donde wrote:I'm using the AirLink AWLL3026 wireless adapter...
As indicated on that site, there are different versions of the AirLink 101 AWLL3026 with different USB ID's, some (mine) require the 1211 driver, others the 1211b.
donde wrote:...but done so in 2.01r2...
That works great for me as well, using the previous Puppy drivers tempestuous was kind enough to provide, I just can't get 2.02 to work!

The only ZD1211 driver that I could find for 2.02 was provided by kirk, who for some reason included only the ZD1211b version and not the ZD1211!
donde wrote:...Went back from 2.02 because other issues.
What other issues were you having with 2.02? If there are good reasons to avoid 2.02 for now and just use 2.01r2, I would be interested in hearing about them!
MU wrote:We have renamed the folders on the server, to avoid confusion about different Puppyversions.

If you try to download a file, and it is not available, go here and search in the subfolders:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi
Mark, I looked there, but I could find no distinction between the completely incompatible Puppy V2.01 vs V2.02 drivers, just a generic directory called "drivers-for-Puppy-2".
Spindoctor wrote:I just tried to use the bcm43xx-devicescape driver with my Belkin F5D7011 PCMCIA-Card.
It doesn't actually work...
It says...
Invalid module format
Mark, apparently I'm not the only one still confused. Spindoctor, did you download that driver from the site Mark mentioned above? I'm just guessing, but I suspect that the reason for the error message may be that the driver you downloaded is not compatible with the current version of Puppy?

Are any of these drivers compatible with the current version of Puppy?

Where do I need to go to get a Puppy ZD1211 driver that works with V2.02?

Spindoctor

#81 Post by Spindoctor »

I downloaded the file from here:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers- ... escape.pup

I am currently using Puppy 2.02

MU

#82 Post by MU »

the Puppy2-drivers are for 2.00/2.01 only.
I renamed the folder now correspondingly.
Mark

donde

#83 Post by donde »

What other issues were you having with 2.02? If there are good reasons to avoid 2.02 for now and just use 2.01r2, I would be interested in hearing about them!
I found at the time WAG didn't work. I think now that has been corrected with a patch. Also, could not get devx_202.sfs to mount. Not sure where that stands. And no .pup for my zd1211b. I think kirk has one now, but no WPA supplicant for 2.02 yet. Thinking maybe wait for a 2.03. For now 2.01r2 seems OK for me.
Don

tempestuous

#84 Post by tempestuous »

wpa_supplicant should work fine in Puppy 2.02.

tempestuous

#85 Post by tempestuous »

I have just taken a radical approach to this module-compatibility problem. I have remastered Puppy 2.02 with the kernel and modules taken from Puppy 2.0/2.01. I have called this customised version "puppy-2.02-regression".
It's at Mark's site here http://htb65.de/puppylinux/puppy-releas ... ession.iso
Now these wifi drivers are usable again.

Runemaster

help.....

#86 Post by Runemaster »

Hi everybody, I;ve got an Atheros chipset D-link DWL-G630 wireless pcmcia card and ive got the driver and all that crap running by using the ndiswrapper but i have no friggin clue how to connect to my AP which is a matching D-link wireless router. I've done everything I know how to do but I just can't get it to connect to the AP.

Runemaster

#87 Post by Runemaster »

Hey guys I fixed it. What I think we should do is create a more user friendly ndiswrapper setup process and just do huge amount of research gathering every kind of install script and other driver information for wifi pcmcia cards usb wifi cards and so forth then we could make A giant database for those drivers and get it loaded into the next version of puppy.
Adventurer: I seek knowledge and strength.

Seer:Knowledge comes from experience.....Strength comes from battleaxes.

tempestuous

#88 Post by tempestuous »

Runemaster, I think a streamlined ndiswrapper installer has merit, especially for newbies ... but I encourage you to start a new thread about it. And wasn't wifi-beta2 supposed to achieve this? http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup

I created this forum thread to announce the availabiltiy (and troubleshoot) Linux wifi drivers. This is a distinctly different approach to ndiswrapper.
People who use Linux wifi drivers expect to spend some effort ... there is no installer-gui and it will never be easy, since most of these drivers are independently developed outside the mainstream kernel.

tempestuous

#89 Post by tempestuous »

Sep 7 2006. I updated the following:
- aircrack-ng to version 0.6.1, which now supports the linux-wlan-ng (Prism2 USB) driver.
- linux-wlan-ng driver patched to support packet injection with aircrack.
- madwifi to version 0.9.2
- Zydas zd1211 (a & b variants) to version r83

violetdream

#90 Post by violetdream »

Are these packages going to be updated for pup 2.10, or should I wait for another version?

rafa1215

#91 Post by rafa1215 »

tempestuous,

I have a motorola wireless router WR850GP and a motorola wireless pci card
WN825GP

Motorola has Linux drivers on their site
Should I use their's or yours?
http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm
I used the wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup and it lit up my card and recognized it
Now i have to configure that conf file to get it to commuinicate with my router which sends out DHCP

tempestuous

#92 Post by tempestuous »

violetdream,
No, sorry, I won't be updating these drivers. As I mentioned in an earlier post on July 29 in this thread, they remain useful as a reference for people who compile their own drives in the future. By unzipping these dotpups, you can often find extra firmware files and utilities not included in the main driver source code.

rafa1215
Your wireless router, of course, requires no driver at all.
The Motorola WN825GP PCI card has a Broadcom chipset, so the bcm43xx-softmac driver is the one of choice.

wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup is a package of Windows drivers for use with ndiswrapper, so is unrelated to my Linux driver packages.
There are many other threads on this forum regarding ndiswrapper.

The download link you provided is for (old) Motorola SM56 soft modem drivers, nothing to do with wifi at all.

rafa1215

#93 Post by rafa1215 »

Thanks for clearing that up

tempestuous wrote:violetdream,
No, sorry, I won't be updating these drivers. As I mentioned in an earlier post on July 29 in this thread, they remain useful as a reference for people who compile their own drives in the future. By unzipping these dotpups, you can often find extra firmware files and utilities not included in the main driver source code.

rafa1215
Your wireless router, of course, requires no driver at all.
The Motorola WN825GP PCI card has a Broadcom chipset, so the bcm43xx-softmac driver is the one of choice.

wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup is a package of Windows drivers for use with ndiswrapper, so is unrelated to my Linux driver packages.
There are many other threads on this forum regarding ndiswrapper.

The download link you provided is for (old) Motorola SM56 soft modem drivers, nothing to do with wifi at all.

violetdream

#94 Post by violetdream »

tempestuous wrote:violetdream,
I'm not sure where your original post stating this is, but I'm disapointed at your choice. Of course, it is up to you whether you choose to maintain these drivers or not and I appreciate all you've done so far, but many Puppy users are beginners and are quite intimidated by compiling their own things. I'm not quite what you would call a beginner but even I couldn't figure out how to get things to compile - I'm just not a long term linux user. I know a solution would be to use ndiswrapper, but often the range is pathetic compared to the native drivers. I'm just disapointed because I would like to update puppy, but I'm held back because of wireless drivers unavailable for the most current versions (2.10 now). Would anyone else be willing to step up and take tempestuous's place? It would be a great service to all the Puppy users who are still beginners and cannot compile on their own (or don't have a good enough computer to consider compiling on).

tempestuous

#95 Post by tempestuous »

Two recent synergies may make it easier for wifi drivers to be updated in the future:
- the new T2 development system
- several wifi drivers are being merged into the mainstream Linux kernel from version 2.6.18
See http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=69635

violetdream, if MADWiFi is what you want, it was included in the package list for Puppy 2.10alpha http://www.puppyos.net/news/comments.ph ... 827-093218
Barry has explained that this means the MADWiFi driver will be in the next Puppy release AFTER 2.10.