Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 08 Aug 2020, 13:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
alphaOS [closed]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 39 of 47 [697 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
simargl

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul 2013, 03:13    Post subject:  

Kickshaw is menu editor for Openbox based on Gtk3. That type of application was missing, I thought only GUI menu editor for Openbox is obmenu which needs python and pygtk. This has no other dependencies except Gtk3, so it will be added in next version.

You can try it with: packer -S kickshaw.

Scooby

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul 2013, 12:26    Post subject:  

I figured how to put an icon in Tint2 panel but how do you put an icon/program-launcher
on the desktop itself?

Is there any good programs in repo to do this?
simargl

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul 2013, 15:51    Post subject:  

You can replace line imlibsetroot... in /root/.start with spacefm --desktop &, as spacefm can manage desktop wallpaper and icons/launchers and it does it better than rox-filer. For example, icons sizes are not hard coded to 48 pixels as for rox desktop. Then if you add lxpanel instead of tint2, set mint-x gtk and icon themes result will essentially be LXDE desktop for example something like Mint screen shot bellow.

Scooby

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 02:59    Post subject:  

Is there a way to add a menuitem to spadefm desktop-menu that opens the original
AlphaOS menu, The one I get when I right-click Tint2 panel?
simargl

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 03:18    Post subject:  

Scooby wrote:
Is there a way to add a menuitem to spadefm desktop-menu that opens the original
AlphaOS menu, The one I get when I right-click Tint2 panel?

Right click - choose "Desktop Settings", and there is "Right click shows WM menu" checkbox

Edit:
Next version Alphaos 9.0 with new kernel, frisbee instead of pwriless and other changes will use Arch packages from 2013/08/01. Plan is to make new version for every month - same as Arch release their installation CD.

Scooby

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 07:40    Post subject:  

simargl wrote:

Right click - choose "Desktop Settings", and there is "Right click shows WM menu" checkbox

Thanks, That works for sure but I wanted access to both menus. I can easily add menu item
for spacefm desktop menu but I dont know the command for running WM menu.

Asked this question on spacefm forum

Maybe it is easier the other way around? add a spacefm desktop menu to wm menu?

Seems like spacefm --desktop crashes sometimes when changing wallpaper and sometimes it doesnt redraw the background for conky.

simargl wrote:

Next version Alphaos 9.0 with new kernel, frisbee instead of pwriless and other changes will use Arch packages from 2013/08/01. Plan is to make new version for every month - same as Arch release their installation CD.

Does this mean you have to change savefile everytime?

If so I will have to hack a script that does all the usual stuff setting up my system for me!

Is new kernel pae?
simargl

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 08:04    Post subject:  

Scooby wrote:
Does this mean you have to change savefile everytime?

If so I will have to hack a script that does all the usual stuff for me!

I think you can use same savefile only if you didn't change system files like /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and /etc/distro_specs, because everything from save file comes on top and then system can't boot with wrong distro_specs - it searches for wrong files. If you installed packages in save file they can upgraded with: pacman -Syu without problems.

Quote:
Is new kernel pae?

.. will be non-PAE, I doubt anyone with more that 4GB of RAM will use Puppy Linux, and especially Puppy and Arch derivative, that is not even listed on Distrowatch

Scooby

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 08:15    Post subject:  

simargl wrote:

.. will be non-PAE, I doubt anyone with more that 4GB of RAM will use Puppy Linux, and especially Puppy and Arch derivative, that is not even listed on Distrowatch

Anyone but me then Shocked !

I have 6GB of RAM Confused
pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 09:57    Post subject:  

Since there has been a lot discussion about different Puplets, I have tested alphaOS 8.0 now about 4 hours, without break. Overall...after initial difficulties, there are plenty of good features and it show that a lot work, dedication, experience and time has been used. Pacman and arch repositories is the strongest feature which this Puplet offers.

http://pastebin.com/H0mw2uh0

Cheers.
simargl

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 10:56    Post subject:  

Pemasu, I can agree with all of your observations after that short period you tested this system. Pwireless is indeed outdated, that's a fact, but it worked OK until latest version, so I thought no reason to change with something else. Now it will be replaced with Frisbee in next version, reports show that Frisbee works much better. Cups is not included at all, I think printing support should be in separate package of sfs module for those that need it. Again, you have right that most of system configuration is done with editing text, but I'm used to that and that's why Arch is targeted to competent Linux users.

Regarding your comment about minimalism (from The Arch Way) “a designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”

Cheers!

pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 11:08    Post subject:  

I checked what init scripts there are:

/etc/init.d/cups

This lead me to thinking that cups has been included. My mistake. I suppose there isnt many Puppies or Puplets which does not include Cups, so...I made my conclusion with this backround and with this init script finding.

Thank you of correction.
tony

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 11:17    Post subject:  

Hi simargl,

adding a wl wifi driver into alphaOS 9.0 would help me a lot.

Regards Tony.
simargl

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 13:55    Post subject:  

tony wrote:
adding a wl wifi driver into alphaOS 9.0 would help me a lot.

If you explain how to do that, I will add driver you need. I mean what exactly should be enabled in kernel config. Is that driver available in Puppy Precise, because I used same kernel config in the beginning as in Puppy Precise. Later config file was slightly changed, but nothing at all really important for wireless drivers.

pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 14:48    Post subject:  

Still playing with this build, so I downloaded devx sfs and kernel source sfs. I patched wl source with needed patches and compiled the wl.ko module.
wl.ko means proprietary broadcom proprietary wireless driver which supports chip id`s which are not supported other way...or wl.ko provide alternative support.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Nowadays there is also brcmsmac and brcmfmac drivers in official kernel, but there are still chips which work only with wl.ko.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Chip id`s and supporting driver are found from above page.

Cave out. wl.ko does not like ssb and b43. They need to be blacklisted or unloaded before loading wl.

Some kind logistic system would be recommended if you include both...wl.ko and b43.ko.

I have just struggled with stubborn broadcom support without knowing why it does not load. Puppies has rerwin`s provided logistic files for friendly coexistence of b43 - ssb - brcm - bcma and wl.

Here is older logistic init scrip attached for partial logistic support for inspecting. It unfortunately does prohibit the usage of some b43 needed chips. So...it is not perfect. Rerwin`s logistic files are better. In pure Puppies.

It looks like you havent included brcmfmac driver, brcmsmac driver only.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless

Including wl.ko module to the build is tricky, that is what I try to post. Lol.

Here is the compiled wl.ko gzipped: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Temp/wl.ko.gz

And as attachment the ssb -b43 removal - wl compliant chip detection init script, which is only partially correct. Some excluded chips would have wanted b43.
remove_ssb_at_start.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  remove_ssb_at_start.pet 
Filesize  609 Bytes 
Downloaded  227 Time(s) 
smil99

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 14:54    Post subject:  

Hi tony and all,
Pardon my ignorance but if wl wifi is the same as iwlwifi, then as per Marv's:
Quote:
If wireless is intel iwlwifi, to get wlan0, you have to modprobe iwldvm and mac80211. I place them in the modules line in /etc/rc.conf.
This has been confirmed by scooby to work on page 38 of this thread. So the drivers seem to be already present. Just a matter of automating the modprobe process.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Page 39 of 47 [697 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: