alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
imago

#376 Post by imago »

Hi, simargl, i have not extra.sfs, i copyid systems fils from iso and maybe forgot abaot extra.sfs

simargl

#377 Post by simargl »

I compiled spacefm latest from git, and that will replace spacefm-0.8.7 in next version. It brings
many improvements if you need icons on desktop like: set borders, align to grid, moveable
icons, change text label color. Version 6.0 will be released tomorrow (changelog is pretty big).

After that will upgrade some packages in repository, so alphaOS is not just Puppy From Scratch it is rolling release Puppy.

ndrancs

new release

#378 Post by ndrancs »

simargl wrote:I compiled spacefm latest from git, and that will replace spacefm-0.8.7 in next version. It brings
many improvements if you need icons on desktop like: set borders, align to grid, moveable
icons, change text label color. Version 6.0 will be released tomorrow (changelog is pretty big).

After that will upgrade some packages in repository, so alphaOS is not just Puppy From Scratch it is rolling release Puppy.
Thanks a lot sim, i have waiting for it. ;) :)

Familyman

alphaOS 6.0

#379 Post by Familyman »

Dear simargl,

There are reasons why I eagerly look forward to the goodies in the new rolling release of alphaOS 6!

Besides the improvements mentioned by simargl to spacefm, new packages in the repository; it is the tiny little things that make a huge difference to old systems like the EeePC 2G Surf netbook that I still use.

I have noticed while logging in with the latest Firefox 20.0.1 browser using Windows XP on the netbook, Yahoo Mail would intimate me that the screen size is not optimal (they apparently need a minimum of 1024x768 pixels).

But logging in with Firefox ESR 17 browser on alphaOS gives me no such warning message in Y!Mail. It possibly notes that the 800x480 pixel screen is native to my EeePC!

I look forward to the package Skype being included in the repository so that one could use it for internet calls (possibly -spkg upgrade should do the trick).

~Familyman~

Familyman

Logo Idea for alphaOS Linux

#380 Post by Familyman »

simargl wrote:If someone has any idea about the logo it would be very appreciated, also if you want to contribute good choice is to use svg format from inkscape.
While the suggestion I have might not qualify as great, I would be more than happy if this could initiate an discussion about the philosophy behind the image to be projected by this distro.

The word "alpha" is integral to the logo for the OS.

After a scan of the images of various Linux distros I noted that none of them have appropriated the symbol for infinity.

I believe the infinite possibilities for the alphaOS - be it small size, fast operation from memory, versatility of choices for configuration, the rolling release nature of the alphaOS all could be best conveyed by using the INFINITY symbol.

:idea: I am not an expert on artwork. Hence I suggest that some other PuppyLinux community member who is using this distro come up with the .svg format of our alphaOS logo with an artistic interpretation of the symbol for infinity.

It might get incorporated by simargl in alphaOS version 7 (since ver.6 is due tomorrow and it might be too late to use this now).

~Familyman~

futwerk

#381 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
alphami11,1b.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(30.93 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
alphami11,1a.jpg
(24.32 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
alphami11,1.jpg
(30.36 KiB) Downloaded 721 times

simargl

#382 Post by simargl »

Version 6.0 has been released with new GNU C Compiler (4.8.0), modern desktop notifications (notify-osd), spkg upgrade function... Full changelog here http://alphaos.freeforums.org/announcements-f9.html

yr1945

abiword and gnumeric

#383 Post by yr1945 »

over the years of using puppylinux, i have accumulated numerous abiword and gnumeric documents... i tried using libreoffice to open and utilize these documents... but, with little success... will someone point me in the direction of an abiword and gnumeric sfs that i can load so that i can continue using alphaos? thank you

simargl

#384 Post by simargl »

You can try with converting arch packages, and then save files to compatible format (.odt) for Libre Office.

spkg -gi enchant
paka -Syu
paka -S abiword-2.8.6-8-i686.pkg.tar.xz
paka -S wv-1.2.9-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
paka -S libgsf-1.14.26-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
paka -S goffice0.8-0.8.17-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz

yr1945

#385 Post by yr1945 »

thanks, but didn't work, i installed all packages and changed the abiword file format to.odt

does an abiword and gnumeric sfs exist?

thanks again...

Familyman

alphaOS Version 6.0 Bug Report

#386 Post by Familyman »

simargl wrote:Version 6.0 has been released with new GNU C Compiler (4.8.0), modern desktop notifications (notify-osd), spkg upgrade function... Full changelog here http://alphaos.freeforums.org/announcements-f9.html
I tried out the new rolling release of alphaOS and found the following packages broken in my system:

1. Yarock: Apparently the new exploit of having Simple Radio display song title (I found this worked only with 2 radio stations - and that too not continuously updated. For this one needs to select the radio station again manually to see the song title currently playing) results in the Radio Browser button not being displayed.

2. Internet Problem: Even though my netbook is connected through ethernet LAN, I get the message that the internet is not connected and hence no spkg updates shown.

3. Date Problem: Linked to this is the related setting of hwclock. My system no longer adjusts to the local time as it is not synced to the net at the outset.

But the real dealbreaker has to be the missing shoutcast and icecast radio stations which I listen to live rather than indexing my existing music collection. Incidentally using the save file from alphaOS Version 5.0 only remedied the situation in the limited sense that my favourite radio streams were there and played with ver 6.0. But as soon as I move to some other view - library, playlist or history; the whole thing disappeared and even then the Radio Browser button was not visible at the top even though the radio stations played from my bookmarks.

Hope these issues are sorted out in a later release.

~Familyman~

PS: GLAD TO NOTE THE ARTWORK LOGOS FOR alphaOS - WE SEEM TO BE ON OUR WAY!

simargl

#387 Post by simargl »

List of 22 upgraded packages, type spkg -upgrade and earlier installed packages will be replaced.
  • apr-util-1.5.2-1.spkg
    clutter-1.14.2-1.spkg
    converseen-0.6.2-1.spkg
    filezilla-3.7.0.1-1.spkg
    flashplugin-11.2.202.280-1.spkg
    freeglut-2.8.1-2.spkg
    garcon-0.2.1-1.spkg
    git-1.8.2.3-1.spkg
    gnome-calculator-3.8.2-1.spkg
    gnome-mines-3.8.1-1.spkg
    gnome-tetravex-3.8.1-1.spkg
    gnutls-3.1.11-1.spkg
    json-glib-0.16.0-1.spkg
    libgcrypt-1.5.2-1.spkg
    libxfce4util-4.10.1-1.spkg
    nettle-2.7-1.spkg
    qpdfview-0.4.3-1.spkg
    smplayer-0.8.5-1.spkg
    xfce4-panel-4.10.1-1.spkg
    xfce4-session-4.10.1-6.spkg
    xfce4-settings-4.10.1-3.spkg
    xfwm4-4.10.1-2.spkg
if you notice some problems please report
edit:
@Familyman
I tested yarock for icecast and shoutcast radio streams and they all worked, although this program seems very cpu intensive while building list of stations. There is a problem in that mplayer phonon backend does not support equalizer, gstreamer is required, but I guess we can live without that.

mark41844

#388 Post by mark41844 »

simargl,

I have try AlphaOS on my laptop everything since to be working except my netgear W511 pcmcia wireless card. It requires ndiswrapper with marvell 8335 windows driver. Please let me know where I can download the ndiswrapper for AlphaOS?

Thanks for your help!

simargl

#389 Post by simargl »

ndiswrapper-1.58-1.spkg compiled and added to the repository,

This does not have GUI helper, but it's not hard to setup if you follow Arch Wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi ... diswrapper

Familyman

#390 Post by Familyman »

simargl wrote:edit:
@Familyman
I tested yarock for icecast and shoutcast radio streams and they all worked, although this program seems very cpu intensive while building list of stations. There is a problem in that mplayer phonon backend does not support equalizer, gstreamer is required, but I guess we can live without that.
Hi simargl,

Thanks for the heads up!

I resolved my YaRock issue in a rather simple manner. I am sharing my story below:

YaRock in alphaOS ver 6.0 on my 7" screen was not showing the Radio Browser button at the top in the toolbar and was not accessible in the left column either owing to screen space issues. (This wasn't the case with YaRock in alphaOS ver 5.0 which had the Radio Browser button at the top right of the toolbar and hence I could access all the live streams).

I just maximised the App by pressing the centre button for minimising and closing the window. Voila! I had the scroll bars whereby I could click and wait for the Shoutcast stream to load - it took a while like you already mentioned.

So I can report that this release is free of issues on my laptop.

~Familyman~

simargl

#391 Post by simargl »

1. Yarock: Apparently the new exploit of having Simple Radio display song title (I found this worked only with 2 radio stations - and that too not continuously updated. For this one needs to select the radio station again manually to see the song title currently playing) results in the Radio Browser button not being displayed.
I will try to fix notifications on simple-radio to work continuously, not just on radio startup.

smil99

#392 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
Thanks for version 6 of alphaOS :D
This time around, I booted from a usb stick on a HP mini 5103 and I'm happy to report it booted to the desktop without any hitch. However, I noticed a few issues.
1. ppet is no more available hence unable to install my printer using rcrsn51's packages. :(
2. I'm unable to connect wirelessly on this mini HP. Apparently, broadcom-sta module needs to be loaded or compiled.
3. An iso file doesn't mount when clicked on.
Thanks as always.
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Familyman

AlphaOS ver 6.0: Stream Web TV with Gnome Mplayer/Smplayer

#393 Post by Familyman »

Dear simargl,

I have installed Smplayer and Minitube from the repository.

But was stumped with trying to play Web TV streams in Gnome Mplayer.

Looking up ideas to make this work, I spotted the below discussion:
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80021[url]

Is it possible to have an .sfs for this streaming video facility in alphaOS?

Thanks!

~Familyman~

Familyman

Alpha OS - Stream Web TV with Smplayer/Mplayer

#394 Post by Familyman »

Dear simargl,

I have installed Smplayer and Minitube from the repository.

But was stumped with trying to play Web TV streams in Gnome Mplayer.

Looking up ideas to make this work, I spotted the below discussion:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80021

Is it possible to have an .sfs for this streaming video facility in alphaOS?

Thanks!

~Familyman~

simargl

#395 Post by simargl »

Looks like ffmpeg needs recompiling with rtmpdump https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/rtmpdump/. Will do for next version, in meantime use mms or http streams - they work already.

I was stuck with getting permanent notification monitor in simple-radio, and started separate thread for that http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 707#703707
smil99 wrote:1. ppet is no more available hence unable to install my printer using rcrsn51's packages. :(
2. I'm unable to connect wirelessly on this mini HP. Apparently, broadcom-sta module needs to be loaded or compiled.
3. An iso file doesn't mount when clicked on.
- ppet was never included, and will never be, but you can extract any pet package with simple bsdtar -xf name.pet and copy those files manually
- mounting iso is not something done very often, usually I just open terminal and type: mkdir 1; mount *iso 1

Cheers!