Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 01:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Compiling
Qt 4.5-4.7 on Puppy 4.3.1... is it possible?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 03:52    Post subject:  Qt 4.5-4.7 on Puppy 4.3.1... is it possible?  

Like the subject line says, is it possible to compile Qt 4.7 for vanilla Puppy 4.3.1? I've been told before that it wasn't possible to compile it (at least 4.5 or higher) against the 4.3.1 kernel... but I haven't really seen any indication on the Qt project site that it has to be compiled against a certain kernel version or higher. glib/c versions, yes, and that'll probably be what disqualifies Puppy 4.3.1. Razz

(Yes, I know I can technically update glib/c and other critical libs on 4.3.1, or use Puppy 5. Mr. Green I'm mostly curious, though.)

musher0

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 08:21    Post subject:  

Hi!

Yep! The compilation took about 36 hours on an ACER 31+ (yikes!), but it's possible. I did it 2-3 years ago for a mywolf puplet, if I remember correctly.
The mywolf series were based on the early Quirky's, so Puppy 4.31 is pretty close.

BFN.

musher0

8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 13:15    Post subject:  

I have an old Compaq laptop with 192megs of ram.
I am running Puppy 4.3.1 on it along with Qt and a disk image mounting program called aspeqt that requires it.
And I did not compile Qt for Puppy 4.3.1!
I used Qt4-4.8.0.sfs and Qt_DEV-4.8.0.sfs on it.
And it works!

By the way. aspeqt is for mounting Atari drive images for use with a serial port connected Atari PC.
I can access the mounted drives and even boot from the drive 1 image located on the Compaq PC.
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 22:22    Post subject:  

Hmm... are those pemasu's builds?

If so... is there an easy way to tell if it works? I've only installed Qt4-4.8.0.sfs (I'm at my SFS limit, and haven't installed any other sfs-loading method, yet)...
(if they are pemasu's builds, and they work, I'll probably swap out the sfs for the .pet versions. Embarassed )

I grabbed and tried a few Qt programs from pemasu's archive, and they all wanted a higher glibc version. Razz
Also, I tried the latest version of Skype for Linux (aren't they supposed to offer a static version? All I could find other than the distro-specific versions was a 'dynamic' version... and that gives me the infamous

Quote:
./skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

...error. Rolling Eyes )

simargl

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2013, 13:29    Post subject:  

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 10:55; edited 1 time in total
Makoto

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2013, 14:01    Post subject:  

It's not that old. Mr. Green

Actually, I'm using a specialized revision of 4.3.1, and everything I need more or less runs with no problems on it. Sure, there are programs I don't really need but wouldn't mind running, every once in a while, that'll gripe about the out-of-date glibc, but beyond that...

Also, I maintain builds of Pidgin for those still running 4.3.1. As for why they're still using it, you'd have to ask them. Very Happy

...and I don't have any real problems with the use of .pets. PPM could stand to be improved, sure, but it hasn't given me much problem. This is mostly off-topic, anyway, so...

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Compiling
Jump to: