A few words of thanks (long post)

Promote Puppy !
Ptarmigan

A few words of thanks (long post)

#1 Post by Ptarmigan »

Hi everyone,
I would like to thank all the peeps involved in sorting out how to get internet via 3G dongles working in Puppy, thanks to the pupdial popup and a few hints on passwords etc. from another forum, I now have a working LiveCD Puppy on the internet.
I can now start learning Linux !

------ cut here if you are sort of time ;) ! ------
Over the decades I have had several goes at getting into Linux but all have been thwarted by the need, when a problem arose, to switch back to Windoze to connect and to then Google for answers.
Then to have to switch back to Linux (Puppy, Knoppix DamnSmall, etc&etc, I tried them all) !! Very tedious.

All because I could never find a Linux that could handle a WinModem :(
If I remember correct there was a project to create a wrapper for winmodems, but I dont know if it got anywhere?
I also, once, found a driver source for one of my winmodems, but compiling and installing it defeated me (above my pay-grade at the time !)

Then we graduated from things 56k and got broadband(-ish) via 3G (cos the landline here is not reliable)
For the past few years I have watched the linux community research into switching dongles from filesystem to modem mode, all involving cryptic linux commands of which I had no knowledge!
I was not even convinced that any of such commands might stop my dongle from working in windows :(
So I adopted a watch, wait and see policy, well afterall, my windows did all I needed, I only wanted Linux cos I was curious !!!!

Now, thanks to Puppy 5.4.3, I am linuxing on the internet,
well done guys,
nice :) :)

Ray MK

#2 Post by Ray MK »

Likewise - would like to add my thanks and gratitude for the choice of Puppies available to us.

I currently multiboot 18 Puppies - on a 10yr old laptop.

Attatched is a menu.lst showing my prefered selection of Puppies for this machine.

All are outstanding in thier own unique way - and all run extremely well on my 10yr old, ram challenged laptop.

There are others that are equally good and that also work extremely well (any NOP or Saluki are 2 that come immediately to mind, Slacko and lupu too) but at present, these are my favourites.

We are truly fortunate to have such a wide selection to choose from - much appreciation and many thanks to all that give so freely thier time and expertise - so that we may enjoy what is probably - the best OS on the planet.

Special thanks also to BK our Puppy Master, who continually strives to improve Puppy and to JM, who so generously provides this forum.
Attachments
menu.lst.gz
not a gz. rename to menu.lst
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.