Problems remastering and saving file to DVD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Rope

#16 Post by Rope »

Ok thanks. I don know why if I left seesion open I cant edit it. maybe low quality.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Once written to normal DVD it can't be undone, just ignored and not reloaded if same file exists in the newest directory, but its still there which is great if you really have need to recover a file that you overwritten, or changed.
for example I use a friends wifi with a password, later a different friends wifi and pass. I multisession save changes between trips locking those setup files into sessions via a DVD. Same DVD but different friends 'borrowed' computer.
Go back to first wifi friends house, copy network files from that date directory into active RAM area and wallah no need to retype or ask for password.

Ted Dog

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=6

Here is a link for the subforum dealing with multisession, covers many ways of using multisession with puppylinux.

Multisession saveback with a live bootable CD/DVD and hopefully soon BluRay is unique to puppylinux, and takes a different look on how to expand hardware usage.

Once you get over the learning hump, multisession will appear as a simple no brainer, why doesn't other liveDistros and/or M$ Windows steal the concept & methods, continually floors me. <that over 7 years of being floored>

I most likely posted the simple burn script sometime in the past in that subform. But I will follow up here until I post the burn script, then lets move to a new thread over there.

Ted Dog

sloppy reburn script

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

Code: Select all

------ START LINE for file called reburn ---- 
#!/bin/sh
growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -R -D -quiet -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ./
eject /dev/sr0
---- END LINE
save as script in same folder as the rest of the main puppy files and either click from there, or open terminal program into the same directory and run like ./reburn

reburn script MUST be in same folder as main puppy files and MUST be started there if run from terminal.

I generally run 'reburn' script from terminal so I can read the msgs being kicked out by the growisofs command, there is a lot of lag time before burning starts if you click on script stuff does not occur for several seconds.

Rope

#20 Post by Rope »

In Pburn what should I select? Burn ISO or copy data?

I put all the files from the old remastered DVD with the new sfs in a directory and selected that directory in "select data from here" I guess I have to select those file to the other column "burn content of this list" Except pburn_symlink_tree right?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#21 Post by Flash »

Ted, I can move this whole thread to the Multisession subforum. I think that's where it belongs, what about you?

Ted Dog

#22 Post by Ted Dog »

Uhhhh, pBurn looks different then I remember, but what you typed sounds right, just besure to locate 'make bootable' flag when shown.

Yes FLASH,Rope we are move this thread to the location posted earlier, we have moved past 'noobie' long ago... :lol: your a quick learner.

Rope

#23 Post by Rope »

But should I chose burn ISO or copy data? I think it is burn data right?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Ted Dog

#24 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes, but I am unable to find the make bootable checkbox in pBurn. It's amazing the pBurn is just a script Mr. Berglund has worked a masterpiece he adds lots of intelligence to this script to make it bulletproof, he may have removed make bootable option since its easy to tell if the files needed are in the iso file list.

I almost tried to burn puppy to a redbox rental disc.... :oops:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#25 Post by Flash »

If you're trying to make a multisession Puppy optical disk, Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd works a treat no matter what kind of disk you're burning (CD, DVD or Blu-Ray.) May I suggest using a rewritable disk to test? I've been doing that for many years without any problems.

By the way, Ted Dog, I made a multisession Puppy Blu-Ray disk (BD-RE) which seemed to work just fine. In fact it seemed to boot faster than from a DVD. What is it you're trying to do that's different?

Ted Dog

#26 Post by Ted Dog »

Support burning past the 4G size limit

Using bluray disc as a quicker DVD is ok until you try to save past that 4G, also DVD does not allow files larger than 4G, you can write them but they are not 'shown' correctly (mod 4G) a 5.12G file would appear as a 1.12G file and so on. Also UDF has a better/larger safety area, which would remap bad sections of the disc reducing corruption problems, and has a cleaner method of added session and directories.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

Ah., I see. Thank you. I had no idea. :lol: I've not tried to save a file larger than a few hundred MB on a multisession disk.

Rope

#28 Post by Rope »

TOTAL FAIL

The DVD I burned with Pburn (with the sfs made with the script and the files from the old remastered DVD) does not boot.

I must have done something wrong with Pburn. I selected burn data.

Anyone can make it clear for me please?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#29 Post by Flash »

Pburn has a "Burn ISO" tab. Have you tried that?

Rope

#30 Post by Rope »

Flash wrote:Pburn has a "Burn ISO" tab. Have you tried that?
No, because I was not burning an ISO AFAIK. There are LOTS of options, I need to know which one, I can't try all :)
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Ted Dog

#31 Post by Ted Dog »

Did not find make bootable checkbox either in pBurn !

Wonder whats up with pBurn...

Been there done that... If I had a dollar for every..

I make coasters even after 6 yr playing with puppy, but you can still use non-bootable discs to save stuff, if its worth keeping its worth saving twice.

Also I use DVD-RW until they wearout, which can take many, many reburns.

Also a point for Flash Blu-ray ReWr burns much slower than write once.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

Ted Dog wrote:... a point for Flash Blu-ray ReWr burns much slower than write once.
I know, but if you're only experimenting with Puppy that doesn't make much difference. Puppy is so small that it takes no time to burn to a BD-RE.

gcmartin

#33 Post by gcmartin »

@Rope this may help: And, @Ted Dog correct me if I'm wrong for I have not run your remaster script, but from this discussion it seems that the remaster creates a SFS of everything that exist in the running system.

So, for example if I had just remastered my running Slacko5.5 system using @Ted Dog's "big" script, I would have a SFS file in my /tmp directory. To begin, I would rename his SFS that he created for me to "puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs"

Then, I would do the following:
  1. Make a test folder ===> mkdir /tmp/work-folder
  2. Copy the everything on the boot CD/ISO to that folder. BUT do NOT copy the "puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs" from the CD/ISO because you DONT WANT THAT ONE.
  3. Now, the final step for your folder is to copy Ted Dog's SFS (the one your renamed, above) to the folder /tmp/work-folder
The /tmp/work-folder is the folder that will be used to create the ISO so that you can burn it to a CD/DVD.

Its at this point that you'll use @Ted Dog's 2-liner to create the ISO which you will burn onto a CD/DVD

Please correct if any of this is wrong. I hope the picture, below, helps and is accurate for this discussion.

Here to help
Attachments
capture10746.png
This is the contents of your FINAL FOLDER BEFORE YOU MAKE THE ISO.
Note: the newest &quot;puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs&quot; file is from @Ted Dog's Remaster script
(31.1 KiB) Downloaded 734 times

Rope

#34 Post by Rope »

Yes gcmartin, the steps I followed are like you detailed.

But: why would you rename the file? There is no need as it takes the name of your puppy.whatever version.sfs file if I remember well.

What is Ted Dog's 2-liner?

And the problem for me is how to burn the DVD so it boots.

edit: oh, this script
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 427#690427
I did not see that post, maybe because I was writing the following question

Thanks you mentioned it. So I missed a step.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Ted Dog

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes to both posts, the 'big script' can figureout what its running in for versions newer than a year ago.

in the same working /tmp/work-folder as the rest of the files place the 2line script (called reburn) and open a terminal <press the ~ while mouse focus is showing files>

Code: Select all

#cd /tmp/work-folder    <=== not needed if you '~'ed
#ls                     <=== check if  at the right place and reburn exists
#./reburn
growisofs progress will be shown, does throw lots of warning looking stuff, but thats harmless.

The 2line script produces the iso on-the-fly while burning it to DVD so no additional RAM is used.