Take a Shot! - yet another screenshot utility...

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
musher0

#76 Post by musher0 »

Hello SFR!

Again congratulations on your new version!

In the French version, as a translation for
Toggle extra options
I'd suggest
Plus d'options
The context will serve as the verb.

"Toggle" is a difficult verb to translate in French. We don't have the exact equivalent.
We have to use two verbs side by side, something like:
Révéler/masquer plus d'options
or
Afficher/cacher plus d'options
which both convey the correct meaning, but I think there is not enough space on
the button.

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

SFR

#77 Post by SFR »

Thanks Musher0, I just uploaded the updated NLS package.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

musher0

#78 Post by musher0 »

Thanks for including it, SFR.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

MochiMoppel

#79 Post by MochiMoppel »

SFR wrote:I may add an appropriate checkbox in next version.
May be the best compromise. I now see the usefulness for shooting sequential frames and for Quickshots, both options not available in my previous old version.

Our little discussion reminded me where I really miss audio feedback: I set the delay to 5sec to catch cascaded menus which take time to prepare. 5 sec can be very short when I make a mistake and have to redo the preparation. Makes me really nervous when I don't know how much time is left until the shooting. A ticking *something* would be nice like the blinking self-timer lamp on cameras or the time signal before the evening news.

But never mind, these are petty details. I now tweaked v.1.10 a bit and have it the way I like it:

1) Changed the terrible beep with the shutter sound of a Canon 350D :lol:
2) Let a femal voice do the count down. It's now "Five...Four...Three...Two...One...Katchan!!".
3) Changed the save directory for Quickshots from the hardcode $HOME to the save directory specified in the config file.

BTW: For the voice files I use the ones offered here. They play well in mplayer, but not in aplay. Any idea what's wrong with them?

greengeek

#80 Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote:2) Let a femal voice do the count down. It's now "Five...Four...Three...Two...One...Katchan!!".
Keen to hear how you set that up. Could be handy.

musher0

#81 Post by musher0 »

greengeek wrote:
MochiMoppel wrote:2) Let a femal voice do the count down. It's now "Five...Four...Three...Two...One...Katchan!!".
Keen to hear how you set that up. Could be handy.
This is Puppy. He should use barks, not a human (even female) voice.
(Where's that tongue-in-cheek icon?!) :D

@Mochi: Here's your explanation:

Code: Select all

aplay 18.wav 
aplay: test_wavefile:898: can't play WAVE-file format 0x0007 which is not PCM or FLOAT encoded
I simply loaded it in mhWaveEdit, and have it play once. Then I re-saved it as file
"18a.wav", and it played fine. Here's my proof: :)

aplay 18a.wav 
Playing WAVE '18a.wav' : Float 32 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
The new file will be 4.5 times bigger than the initial one. (Gnahahahaha!) :twisted:

I hope this helps. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

step

#82 Post by step »

musher0 wrote: "Toggle" is a difficult verb to translate in French. We don't have the exact equivalent.
or
I'm just curious, could the single verb commuer be used instead?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

MochiMoppel

#83 Post by MochiMoppel »

musher0 wrote:I simply loaded it in mhWaveEdit, and have it play once. Then I re-saved it as file
Did you say "simply"? :lol: But thanks anyway, this would be one way to solve the problem, though somewhat brutal.
I now use ffmpeg. Lighter than mplayer and already part of the TAS tool list. It bothers me a bit that I don't know why it works (ffmpeg -i /path/to/sound.wav -f alsa ""), but at least it does.

SFR

#84 Post by SFR »

MochiMoppel wrote:I don't know why it works (ffmpeg -i /path/to/sound.wav -f alsa ""), but at least it does.
Nice trick! Sadly, doesn't work with avconv, so I used avplay/ffplay instead (see the changelog).

Version 1.11:

- disabled beep for Quickshot (it's taken immediately, so there's no point to have it)
- added checkbox "Beep on Shot" (thanks to MochiMoppel)
- can use avplay/ffplay (they support more formats than aplay) as a player for BEEPFILE - aplay as a fallback
- standard beep command as a fallback, if /usr/share/audio/beep_high.wav doesn't exist (thanks to MochiMoppel)
- the default BEEPFILE as well as DEFAULTIMAGEVIEWER and DEFAULTIMAGEEDITOR can be specified in ~/.take_a_shot.rc config file (no need to edit the code anymore)
- added checkbox "Show timer" - it displays a timer in the center of the screen if DELAY > 0

First post updated!

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(18.34 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

MochiMoppel

#85 Post by MochiMoppel »

Looks good! I like the new animated timer. And interesting use (or misuse?) of a notebook widget. :lol:
SFR wrote:- disabled beep for Quickshot (it's taken immediately, so there's no point to have it)
Oh, there is a point: Quickshots happen in the background. A keyboard shortcut which appears to do nothing can be irritating. But a beep could be even more irritating. I hate beeps which let me guess what happened. Maybe I'm spoiled: Japanese appliances speak. My oven speaks and so does my rice cooker and my boiler ("Water temperature is now set to 60 C. Be careful. Water will be hot!"). None of them beeps. So instead of a beep I prefer a short splash to let me know where the shot has been saved. Don't take this as a request. It's only an idea for my own tweaks.

For the time being I'll stay with v1.10. I added a Delete button. This was really easy since it fits into the program flow: After hitting View I can examine the shot. After closing the viewer I'm back at the dialog and if I didn't like what I saw I can hit Delete and your next dialog tells me that "Screenshot.png no longer exists!" and I'm back at the main dialog. Perfect for me.

Thanks again!

musher0

#86 Post by musher0 »

step wrote:
musher0 wrote: "Toggle" is a difficult verb to translate in French. We don't have the exact equivalent.
or
I'm just curious, could the single verb commuer be used instead?
Hi step.

Please read the index card again? The current context and meaning is legal.
It was used in the sense of "transform" by 19th Century writers, but not since.

"Commuter" is tempting, but of rather specialized use in the field of electricity.
And again, in the legal field.

Maybe "Afficher +/- d'options" ? But it looks and sounds weird...

Thanks for trying to help, though. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#87 Post by musher0 »

MochiMoppel wrote:
musher0 wrote:I simply loaded it in mhWaveEdit, and have it play once. Then I re-saved it as file
Did you say "simply"? :lol: But thanks anyway, this would be one way to solve the problem, though somewhat brutal.
I now use ffmpeg. Lighter than mplayer and already part of the TAS tool list. It bothers me a bit that I don't know why it works (ffmpeg -i /path/to/sound.wav -f alsa ""), but at least it does.
Did you say "brutal"? :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

peebee

#88 Post by peebee »

The advent of bash-4.4 exposes 2 lines in TAS that need amendment....
01micko wrote:'read' should not assign vars on the newline.. the default delim is $IFS (default IFS is usually a space char) so the original in TAS is wrong
In tas-1.11 these lines should be changed:

49: read -d "\n" MAXX MAXY <<< `xwininfo -root | awk 'NR>=8&&NR<=9 {print $2}'`

486: read -d "\n" XPOS YPOS WIDTH HEIGHT <<< `xwininfo -frame | awk 'NR>=8&&NR<=9 {print $4} NR>=12&&NR<=13 {print $2}'`

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#89 Post by 01micko »

Nah, default IFS is
<space><tab><newline>
.. so why does it fail in bash 4.4?

The -d ='\n' doesn't look right to me (although it probably is ok) but maybe using printf in the awk routine would be better.

like so:

read XPOS YPOS WIDTH HEIGHT <<< `xwininfo -frame | awk 'NR>=8&&NR<=9 {printf "%s ", $4} NR>=12&&NR<=13 {printf "%s ", $2}'`
and

read MAXX MAXY <<< `xwininfo -root | awk 'NR>=8&&NR<=9 {printf "%s ", $2}'`
(not tested on bash-4.4)

:?:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

SFR

#90 Post by SFR »

Hmm, that's strange indeed. The behaviour was consistent since at least bash-3.0 and suddenly changed...
Maybe it wasn't intentional..?
Anyway, I'll fix it in next release, but I want to change a couple of other things, too, and am little short on time these days, so it may take a while.

Thanks for the heads up &
Greetings!

SFR

#91 Post by SFR »

Version 1.12:

- fix for different treatment of newline by 'read' cmd in Bash-4.4 (thanks to peebee & 01micko)
- fix for newer ffmpeg that does not recognize '+nomouse' option anymore
- can make use of xrectsel, if available
- ditched xmessage; everything's done in Gtkdialog now
- minor corrections/fixes

First post updated!

Greetings!

SFR

#92 Post by SFR »

Version 1.13:

- removed 'Add datestamp' and 'Add timestamp' checkboxes; instead a user can freely insert date's % parameters into filename, e.g. Screenshot_%Y-%m-%d will become Screenshot_2016-10-19
- fix: some ancient versions of ffmpeg may not support '-draw_mouse' option
- minor corrections

First post updated!

Greetings!

musher0

#93 Post by musher0 »

Oh well. I did like the date-stamp checkboxes...
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

SFR

#94 Post by SFR »

musher0 wrote:Oh well. I did like the date-stamp checkboxes...
Hey Musher0

Well, I liked them, too, but they weren't flexible enough.
Now you can freely move the date/time around the core filename, date format is no longer hardcoded to YYYY-MM-DD, some users also may prefer 12h time format with AM/PM, and so on...
Oh, and the GUI is now less cluttered and looks clearer IMHO.

To regain practically the entire functionality of date/timestamp checkboxes it's merely a matter of appending %F (for date) and/or %T (for time).
Using the 'Info' button next to the filename you can preview how the actual, output filename's gonna look like.

Anyway, hope this change is not a deal-breaker for you. ;)

Greetings!

musher0

#95 Post by musher0 »

Hello SFR.

No, of course it's not a deal-breaker: your TAS is still the most versatile
screenshot utility around! Just my basic laziness I guess... ;)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~