Puppy in Linux Journal

News, happenings
James C

Puppy in Linux Journal

#1 Post by James C »

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ubu ... ntos-oh-my

And, not to ignore the smaller side of the distro world, this week saw the release of not one but three new versions of Puppy Linux. First out of the kennel was Quirky 6.2 "Unicorn", built from packages in the Ubuntu 14.10 repositories. Following that were Tahrpup 6.0 CE, built from Ubuntu 14.04, and Fatdog64 700, a 64-bit version of Puppy based on Linux From Scratch which uses Slackware-style packages. Woof!

L18L

Re: Puppy in Linux Journal

#2 Post by L18L »

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ubuntu-suse-centos-oh-my wrote:...and Fatdog64 700, a 64-bit version of Puppy based on Linux From Scratch which uses Slackware-style packages. Woof!
It is a beta
and it is not a Puppy
and not built from woof
Fatdog wrote:Fatdog64 700 series - the latest iteration of Fatdog64 - is hand-built based on recipes from Linux From Scratch, version 7.5 (the latest when the Fatdog64 700 alpha1, the first public release of Fatdog64 700, was released).

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

based on Linux From Scratch

Slackware-style packages

Woof!

neerajkolte

#4 Post by neerajkolte »

L18L wrote:it is not a Puppy
What makes any distro, a puppy? What criteria Fatdog doesn't fulfill?

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

L18L

#5 Post by L18L »

neerajkolte wrote:I am using ...... Fatdog64.
Read [url]file:///usr/share/doc/home.html[/url] please.

neerajkolte

#6 Post by neerajkolte »

Well my question was more about what is a puppy.
puppylinux.org says
What is Puppy Linux?

Puppy Linux is an operating system for computers. Other well-known operating systems are Microsoft Windows, Apple OSX, and MS-DOS. Puppy Linux is based on GNU/Linux. It is completely free and open source software.
How is Puppy Different?

Small size, ~100MB! This lends itself to some very useful and unique features.
'Live' booting from CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives, and other portable media.
Runs from RAM, making it unusually fast even in old PCs and in netbooks with solid state storage media.
Very low minimum system requirements.
Boot time is well under a minute, 30-40 seconds in most systems.
Includes a wide range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games, image editors and many utilities. Extra software in the form of dotpets. There is a GUI Puppy Software Installer included.
Puppy is easy to use and little technical knowledge is assumed. Most hardware is automatically detected.

What are Puppy's Goals?

The Puppy Linux goals (adapted from Barry Kauler) are:

Puppy will easily install to USB, Zip, hard drive or other storage media.
Booting from CD (or DVD), Puppy can load itself totally into RAM so that the CD (DVD) drive is then free for other purposes.
Booting from DVD (or CD), Puppy can save all work to the DVD (CD).
Booting from USB flash drive (or other flash media), Puppy will minimize writes to extend its life.
Puppy will be extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
Puppy will boot up and run extraordinarily fast.
Puppy will have all the applications needed for daily use.
Puppy will just work, no hassles.
Puppy will breathe new life into old PCs.
Puppy will load and run totally in RAM for diskless thin stations.
Yes, I hav read the home.html in fatdog. I know it's made from LFS uses slackware styled packages. I agree it's different, but at the same time similar too. It also fulfils all the goals of puppy.
That's why I think it's still Puppy.
I hope I am making any sense, It's 1a.m. here. Got to sleep now and wake up at 6a.m. in morning to go to work. (Yup got to work on Sunday, I am in maintenance dep).

Goodnight brother.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

oui

#7 Post by oui »

L18L wrote:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ubuntu-suse-centos-oh-my wrote:...and Fatdog64 700, a 64-bit version of Puppy based on Linux From Scratch which uses Slackware-style packages. Woof!
It is a beta
and it is not a Puppy
and not built from woof
Fatdog wrote:Fatdog64 700 series - the latest iteration of Fatdog64 - is hand-built based on recipes from Linux From Scratch, version 7.5 (the latest when the Fatdog64 700 alpha1, the first public release of Fatdog64 700, was released).
and not available in very analog 32 bit version so that user having both can not use in both the same environment (you can use a 32 bit version on an AMD64 but not a 64 bit version on a poor pentium! it is a great difference!)

the detail built from woof or not has no significant value: Nutyx (the typical SFS-distro build in automatic) can be built from script FULLY COMPILED from A..Z from the sources of SFS for both 32 or 62 bits or installed from own Nutyx binaries (both not actually because the transition from Rel. Sekong, only French support, to Rel. Saravanne, French, English and more support). That is possible from own system (Saravane or Sekong) and from foreign distros (but not from usual Puppy having in bash not all options used by SFS, so that the Nutyx scripts can not success! But Ubuntu, Arch Pup if you can continue to actualize it :wink: , -Arch did change terribly and how can save all olds package to extend it later?- would be good...). it would be possible to build a Puppy FROM SFS / BSFS SOURCES using and changing a bit the scripts of Nutyx: they are under Creative Common License!