Puppeee 4.4 revisited

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ally

#76 Post by ally »

sorry mike - my bad.....
Where does Isobooter put the unpacked iso files after unpacking the iso into a temporary partition? I didn't see unpacked iso files on my pendrive after I ran isobooter, just menu.list. (This is all rather confusing ,grin>.)
isobooter creates partition '4' for the unpacking, on my systm it showed as sdb1 (main boot area) and sdb4
ou mean a different Linux iso, right?
a puppy, I ALWAYS use puppy slacko-5.3.3-4g-SCSI.iso as a fall back as it has worked on EVERY machin I've ever tried it on, including an older eeepc than yours, available here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.3.3/
But one can make them hybrid by running the isohybrid app on them. I still don't know if Isobooter does the same thing. Some versions of Syslinux do, maybe all of them. And it is my undertsanding that the iso used for a pendrive installation must be hybrid. So, either Isobooter needs to hybridize the iso, or the iso needs to be hybridized before running isobooter on it. Anything else just does not make sense to me.
don't know never used it but isobooter works so just use it instead

nip round to a neighbours, steal some hot water and while you're there borrow a pc, burn cd, boot and use puppy installer to create usb - simples!!

:)

Mike7

#77 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Ally.

Still no hot water. But at least it hasn't been raining recently <grin>.
isobooter creates partition '4' for the unpacking, on my systm it showed as sdb1 (main boot area) and sdb4
Are you creating three 1Gb FAT32 partitions on a 4Gb pendrive? Is that why the Isobooter partition is number 4?
I ALWAYS use puppy slacko-5.3.3-4g-SCSI.iso as a fall back
I'm going to try slacko with Isobooter as soon as I can get another stick, as I have run out of them. (I still don't know how to put more than one iso on a stick. I'm wasting a lot of good USB memory.) Tell me, what do the SCSI and 4g mean?

Here's an off-topic question that maybe you can answer and save me a lot of grief: How do I keep Puppeee from saving RAM to the eeesave.sfs file all the time. It's driving me nuts <grin>.

BTW, I got that Slitaz iso to boot through a series of manouevers including changing the use of my BIOS. I've written an explanation of a BIOS bug I have that might help others with a similar problem, and will post it apart.

Cheers!

Mike

ally

#78 Post by ally »

hey mike
Are you creating three 1Gb FAT32 partitions on a 4Gb pendrive? Is that why the Isobooter partition is number 4?
no, mine was an old 256mb, if you read the isobooter instructions that were provided here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 250#517250 it explains

it creates it's own 4th partition to do the work
I still don't know how to put more than one iso on a stick.
read the instructions!!
Here's an off-topic question that maybe you can answer and save me a lot of grief: How do I keep Puppeee from saving RAM to the eeesave.sfs file all the time. It's driving me nuts <grin>.
puppeee is configured to save periodlically so as not to load/wear the disc, how to turn it off? - dunno, doesn't bother me

Mike7

#79 Post by Mike7 »

if you read the isobooter instructions that were provided
I've read it, Ally. A number of times. And followed the procedure, as you should remember.

The text on that page says: " If you have a large drive, you may want to make two or three partitions to organize your ISOs. But leave Partition #4 empty! The system uses it for temporary storage". But the image there shows two iso's in the same partition! ???

Also, suppose you haven't made three partitions. Does Isobooter still create a partition #4?

Not very clear, is it Ally?
read the instructions!!
Are you aware of how insulting your tone is here?
puppeee is configured to save periodlically so as not to load/wear the disc
Saving all the time doesn't wear the "disc"? Tell me another.
how to turn it off? - dunno, doesn't bother me
Thanks a lot for all your help. (Not.)

What do you say we call a truce, Ally? I'm not really up for being insulted and having my time wasted. If you feel the need for a scapegoat, go try somewhere else please.

Bye.

ally

#80 Post by ally »

hey mike

sorry you were upset, it really wasn't my intention.

I too had never used isobooter until I was asked to try to confirm it was working correctly

to do so I had to read the thread which provided all the information needed and answered the questions you were asking

I wasn't trying to be flippant but you were asking questions that had been answered

for example:
The text on that page says: " If you have a large drive, you may want to make two or three partitions to organize your ISOs. But leave Partition #4 empty! The system uses it for temporary storage". But the image there shows two iso's in the same partition! ???
from isobooter
3. If you have a large drive, you may want to make two or three partitions to organize your ISOs. But leave Partition #4 empty! The system uses it for temporary storage.
it says 'you may want to' not you have to

and
Also, suppose you haven't made three partitions. Does Isobooter still create a partition #4?
I answered one post previous
it creates it's own 4th partition to do the work
I had never used isobooter until asked by rcrsn51 to help you so no expert by any means but found it created a 4th partition on it's own

you had asked, I had answered and you asked again, I found the information by reading the isobooter thread and trying isobooter

I created one partition, it made another, it gave it a partition number 4

Quote:
I still don't know how to put more than one iso on a stick.
I won't copy this one as it's a large piece of text but it also shows an image with more than one iso
Are you aware of how insulting your tone is here?
if it upset you I apologise, again it wasn't my intention
Quote:
puppeee is configured to save periodlically so as not to load/wear the disc
I think you chose not to read this, 'puppy is configured to save periodically

defined as 'from time to time' or 'at regular intervals' - it does NOT save ALL the time, the system is running in ram and it will save to the disc periodically not at every change
Saving all the time doesn't wear the "disc"? Tell me another.
I know 'cos I said
so as not to load/wear the disc
Quote:
how to turn it off? - dunno, doesn't bother me
I didn't ignore your request for help, I answered - I said I don't know, if you want to know and I don't know, I have told you I don't know how can I help?
What do you say we call a truce,
there no need for a truce, you asked questions, people tried to help
I'm not really up for being insulted
I wasn't being insulting, if you felt insulted I apoligise again, it was not my intention
having my time wasted.
how is people giving up their time to answer your questions wasting your time?
If you feel the need for a scapegoat, go try somewhere else please.
a scapegoat for what? very confused

anikin

#81 Post by anikin »

Oh Mike, that was quite a dressing down.
As if you chastised a waiter for substandard service. Next time, ally will think twice, before getting back to someone in need of help.

James C

#82 Post by James C »

Congrats Mike7 ..... you've won the " being an ass to someone who took time to try to help" award. Way to go. :lol:

rhadon

#83 Post by rhadon »

About saving periodically:

rightclick any drive icon -> Run Desktop Drive Icon Manager -> button 'Show full Event Manager' -> tab 'Save Session' -> set Save interval to 0. :wink:

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

anikin

#84 Post by anikin »

Hi rhadon,

do you happen to know, where exactly the save session script is? I would like to make the "zero save interval" setting permanent before remastering a fresh frugal install.

Thank you in advance

rhadon

#85 Post by rhadon »

It's in /usr/sbin/eventmanager (tested in slacko-5.4). I think it's the same in Puppeee, but not sure. If there are problems, ask again.

Look for RAMSAVEINTERVAL :wink:

HTH
Rolf

anikin

#86 Post by anikin »

It must be this one:

Code: Select all

#make sure that RAMSAVEINTERVAL is an integer only...
[ "$NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=30 #412
NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=`echo -n "$NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL" | sed -e 's/[^0-9]//g'`
#do not allow too-frequent saves...
[ $NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL -gt 0 -a $NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL -lt 5 ] && NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=5
is there a way to set a straight zero here. No intervals. No choice. Just unconditional NO SAVE.

this is being done on upup precise, not puppeee.

rhadon

#87 Post by rhadon »

I would try to change line #30 (seems to be the initial setting)

[ ! $RAMSAVEINTERVAL ] && RAMSAVEINTERVAL=30
and #300 (is a workaround, someone exited with invalid settings)

[ "$NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=30 #412
setting to 0 instead of 30 and see what happens.

I'm not sure about this one

#do not allow too-frequent saves...
[ $NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL -gt 0 -a $NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL -lt 5 ] && NEWRAMSAVEINTERVAL=5
Sorry, but I'm not so skilled in bash programming :oops: .

In general, setting to zero means, it will only save at shutdown. If you want to prevent this also, we must dig deeper, IIRC it's in the initrd.gz and I would try to find the proper thread.

HTH
Rolf

Mike7

#88 Post by Mike7 »

Ally-

I appreciate your help and I apologize for reacting abruptly. My frustration with all this got the better of me. But the truth is that I 've read all the Isobooter stuff a number of times and it still isn't clear to me. Being told to go read it again flipped me.

I don't understand about making partitions and what the difference is between putting more than one iso in the same partition and putting them in separate partitions.

If I could get Isobooter working for me, maybe I could figure out how all this works. But I haven't been able to.

I won't bother anyone here with more questions on the subject until I have.

Thanks again, and sorry for my bad temper.

Mike

Mike7

#89 Post by Mike7 »

Anikin-

I'm sorry you see it that way. The fact is, I wasn't getting helped. Being told to go read something again, after you've read it ten times, isn't helping.

These forums cause problems when the people in them expect everyone to know what they do. I don't know. And frequently the documentation makes things even more confusing, when a short explanation by someone here would solve the problem.

I'm doing the best I can. I think Linux is great, and I love Puppeee 4.4. I'm struggling to learn, and I only ask that I be respected for my efforts.

Mike

Mike7

#90 Post by Mike7 »

james c-

I've been in forums before where there were lurkers waiting for a chance to attack someone, so I won't take your post too seriously.

Cheers!

Mike

Mike7

#91 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Rolf (rhadon). I hope you won't mind my asking a coupla questions re your post on changing the periodic save.
rightclick any drive icon -> Run Desktop Drive Icon Manager -> button 'Show full Event Manager' -> tab 'Save Session' -> set Save interval to 0
Looking around for a way to kill the saves, I actually found that. I didn't do it for two reasons:
1) Still not knowing the reason for the periodic saves, I hesitated to stop them.
2) Because it's called an "interval", a logical effect of making it zero could be to cause continuous saves.

Can you tell me why Puppeee or Puppy does periodic saves?

Have you or Aniken or anyone else set the Save Interval to 0 in the Desktrop Drive Manager, and proved that the result is no saves before shutdown, but a save at shutdown?

Thanks for your help with this.

Mike

rhadon

#92 Post by rhadon »

Mike7 wrote:Can you tell me why Puppeee or Puppy does periodic saves?
First, periodic saves only occure with pendrives and cards (maybe with usb drives in general, not sure). Usually Puppy runs in RAM. No matter you are installing programs or writing text, this happens first in RAM. Pendrives and sd cards are much slower than HDs and live time will decrease with many write cycles. So periodical saves are a compromise between live time, speed and safety. If there is any failure (e.g. power failure or system freezes), all your work since the last save is lost. On the other hand, if you're doing something wrong (e.g. deleting an important file by accident), an improper shutdown could save your ass (it did it often for me , but don't do it during a write process). It's your decision what you prefer. Remember the counsel 'allways have a backup of your save file'? If you have one, and maybe a 2nd pen drive with a working Puppy, you are on the save side.
Have you or Aniken or anyone else set the Save Interval to 0 in the Desktrop Drive Manager, and proved that the result is no saves before shutdown, but a save at shutdown?
Yes, but not in Puppeee (shouldn't make any difference).

Maybe some words about installing puppies. I don't know ISOBooter, but I know a lot of posts from rcrsn51 and he always gives good advice. If he says it works, it works. Why it doesn't work for you, I don't know.
Booting directly a ISO is a newer feature. Since I'm here in the forum, I do it in a more conventional way (Puppy wouldn't be Puppy if there would be only one way, others may prefer another ways):

Lets say I'm in a working Puppy and want to install a Puppy on a pen drive (mostly I want more than one on a drive).
I build a new folder on the pen drive with the name of the desired Puppy, e.g. slacko-5.4.
I mount the ISO by left click on it.
I copy the content of the ISOI to this folder (because 'm lazy, exactly you only need 3-5 files: vmliunuz, initrd.gz and Puppyxxx.sfs, and if available zdrv.sfs and adrive.sfs).
Left click the ISO again to unmount it.
Then I run Grub4Dos config, installing Grub4Dos to the pen drive and it shall only search the pen drive. Let it build a new menu.lst.
On my Eee900 I press ESC during reboot to get the BIOS Boot Menu (YMMV), select the pen drive for booting and get the boot menu of Grub4Dos. Here I can select the fresh installed Puppy (or others, if installed).
Installing more Puppies is the same. Copy the content of the ISO (or at least the important files) to a new folder and rerun Grub4Dos config or add a new entry in the menu.lst manually. That's all. Hopefully I haven't forgotten any important step.

I hope it's not too confusing,

Rolf

Mike7

#93 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Rolf. Thank you very much for your help with this stuff.

You wrote:
Pendrives and sd cards are much slower than HDs and live time will decrease with many write cycles.
That's interesting. I didn't know that pendrives are slower than HDs. Maybe that explains why a few Puppeee programs, like editors, are running slower than I expected.

What exactly does "live"mean? I've seen that word used a lot in connection with Linux distros and never understood it.
allways have a backup of your save file
I've seen that, but I couldn't figure out where to put the backup. Another folder or a different partition on the same pendrive, or a different drive altogether?

By the way, since Puppeee seems able to read all the files on my hard drive regardless of their format, I assume it can read any file on any filesystem, right?
Yes, but not in Puppeee (shouldn't make any difference).
I'll try that, then. I did go into the Drive Icon Manager and change the interval to 120, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Maybe putting a zero there instead will. If not, I guess I'll have to modify /usr/sbin/eventmanager, although I have no experience of changing configuration files and it looks scary. Would I do it using Geenie or the terminal?

Re Isobooter, I plan to try it again as soon as I have the time. Now that I discovered that for some boot loaders I need to press Escape instead of F2, maybe I can get it to work. (My current Puppeee loads without having to do anything at power on, as the BIOS is set to load from "Removable Media" and that's enough for it. The installations I made with Isobooter wouldn't do that.)

I found your description of installing a new Puppy very helpful. A few questions about it:
I build a new folder on the pen drive with the name of the desired Puppy, e.g. slacko-5.4
Would that be a folder in an ext3 partition that you created especially for that installation using Gparted?
I mount the ISO by left click on it. I copy the content of the ISO to this folder
It isn't necessary to use Isomaster to extract the files?
Then I run Grub4Dos config, installing Grub4Dos to the pen drive and it shall only search the pen drive.
I'm not clear on this. Do you copy grb4dos into the folder where the iso is before running it, or run it from whatever folder it's stored in (root, for example)? Or do you run it from the terminal? (My Puppeee 4.4 didn't come with grub4dos, but rcrsn51 gave me a download address for it and I put it in the "Downloads" subfolder of /root. Will it run in the terminal from there, or is there a special place it needs to be in order to run as a terminal command?)
the boot menu of Grub4Dos. Here I can select the fresh installed Puppy (or others, if installed).
Grub4dos gives a boot menu of all the iso's in the folder, is that right? I take it, then, that it composes the menu from them, so they need to be in that folder before you run grub4dos on it?

This question of where to put the various iso's is confusing. If they're all in the same folder, then you only need one copy of grub4dos, right? If they're in separate folders or separate partitions, you need grub4dos in each folder, and the same for separate partitions, right?

But if there are various copies of grub4dos on a pendrive, how does the BIOS know which one to boot from? If the BIOS selects the first one it finds (the one in the first folder or partition), then how can you boot iso's in another folder or partition?
Installing more Puppies is the same. Copy the content of the ISO (or at least the important files) to a new folder and rerun Grub4Dos config or add a new entry in the menu.lst manually.
Does this work if menu.list is in a different folder (the folder where the first iso was put)?

I'm going to give Isobooter another try, and if I still can't get it to work for me I'd like to try your method. That's why these details are important to me.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers!

Mike

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

FYI, when rhadon mentions Grub4Dos, he actually means the Grub4Dos Bootloader Config program. You don't have this on your puppeee.

All you got from the PET I provided were the core Grub4Dos files needed to run ISObooter.

rhadon

#95 Post by rhadon »

Well, a lot of questions.
Mike7 wrote:What exactly does "live"mean?
Sorry, I meant life time :oops: . English isn't my native language, so sometimes I use wrong words or words in a wrong context. The less you write on a sd card the longer it works.
... I couldn't figure out where to put the backup.
It's your decision, safety vs. comfort. If your partition with your save file gets corrupt, it's good to have the backup at least on another partition. If the drive gets corrupt, it's good to have the backup on another drive and so on. Sometimes I would be glad to have a recent backup at least on the same partition :lol: .
Would that be a folder in an ext3 partition that you created especially for that installation using Gparted?
Most of the time I use ext3, but again, it's your decision. You can also use vfat (fat32), ext2 or ext4. With ISObooter, I think you need fat32, but I'm sure it's written in the ISObooter thread :wink: .
I assume it can read any file on any filesystem, right?
No. I don't think so. There are so many different systems...
ntfs,fat16, fat32, ext2,3,4, raiserfs and btrfs (the last one only a little bit), yes. Maybe f2fs soon (hopefully).
It isn't necessary to use Isomaster to extract the files?
Yes, it isn't necessary.
Do you copy grb4dos into the folder where the iso is before running it, or run it from whatever folder it's stored in (root, for example)?
No. Usually I use a Puppy with build in grub4dosconfig (thanks rcrsn51, I really should be more exact :oops: ). Another way is to install grub4dosconfig. This installs the bootloader grub4dos. You can find it here. After download you install it ( or every other pet) with a simple left click. It doesn't matter, where you stored it. After installation, there should be a entry in the menu. If not, open a terminal (from menu or by click on console icon) and type 'grub4dosconfig'. Usually it will be found, no matter where you open the terminal. Will it work in Puppeee? I think so, but don't know. You have to find out by yourself :wink: .
Grub4dos gives a boot menu of all the iso's in the folder...
...This question of where to put the various iso's is confusing.
In my description there is no ISO on the pen drive. This part is different to ISObooter. As I wrote, "Copy the content of the ISO (or at least the important files) to a new folder...". Each Puppy has it's own folder. There is only one Grub4Dos installed. If you want a new Puppy after installation of grub4dos, you must edit the menu.lst by adding a new entry or by running grub4dosconfig again. The latter seems to be easier for newcomers :wink: .

Rolf