ArchPup 13.2.2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
darkcity

#91 Post by darkcity »

I would like to make an SFS containing all those lovely sound apps for archpup - but I haven't got time at the moment ; -(

unni

How to install this ?

#92 Post by unni »

How can I install this ? I tried some steps given in some other threads of this forum like partitioning my drive & formatting it with ext4 . Then copied the 3 files some *.sfs , vmlinuz and initrd . Atlast , ran the grub4dos config . But on restarting the virtual machine ( yes , its on a VM ) , I get a window manager not found error . Is it some trouble with xinitrc ? Please help !

simargl

Re: How to install this ?

#93 Post by simargl »

unni wrote:How can I install this ? I tried some steps given in some other threads of this forum like partitioning my drive & formatting it with ext4 . Then copied the 3 files some *.sfs , vmlinuz and initrd . Atlast , ran the grub4dos config . But on restarting the virtual machine ( yes , its on a VM ) , I get a window manager not found error . Is it some trouble with xinitrc ? Please help !
Did you copy all 3 sfs files, with only archpup_132.sfs it will boot just to tty because window manager is in other sfs module - inside adrv-openbox_132.sfs.

unni

#94 Post by unni »

Thanks for that ! I think I didnt copy all the sfs and that's what created the problem .
Now Im trying to install Guest Additions and when I tried to do

Code: Select all

pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils 
I get an error cannot resolve "linux>=3.7", a dependency of "virtualbox-guest-modules" .
So I thought the error was due to the old kernel ( 3.4.28 ) which is the one which is currently present in ArchPup . So tried to do a full system update through Pacman -Syu but it turned out that core and all others like community , extra and archpup are update to date . Now I am trying to update the kernel through

Code: Select all

pacman -S linux
. Is this the right way of doing it ?

simargl

#95 Post by simargl »

Kernel from Arch Linux unfortunately cannot be used in archpup because it doesn't have aufs support,
so to get functional Virtual box modules it is required to recompile them with archpup kernel source sfs loaded.
I tried to do it once and got some udev related error.

unni

#96 Post by unni »

So it is . As I earlier told , I tried installing linux kernel from arch repos but nothing happened as the arch thingy didnt have aufs support . Thanks for your support !

nooby

#97 Post by nooby »

kind of odd error? playing .wma music file.
Nothing show up that one can use to shut it down.
I tested using mplayer and nothing shows up.

even if I go to menu and chose mplayer from there nothing shows
it just play the music but nothing to click on to stop it.
Very annoying if one have a file from a 60 minute speech
Esc does not help either
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Scooby

#98 Post by Scooby »

MAybe its time to move from old archpup version to the latest.

Is this stable -- will not be greatly changed in the near future?

You couldnt run new with your old savefile huh?

nooby

#99 Post by nooby »

Are you sure that the new one have a different way for how the GMplayer works
with wma files?

I wanted to use it without a save file inspired by Oui but I am not as tech savvy as he is.

So it is just a test I do. I try to download latest and see if it behaves different?

Hm are not the gmplayer in the archapps-12-12.sfs okay maybe the new one has
its own archapps-13-xx.sfs

simargl

#100 Post by simargl »

Scooby,
I think current version is more stable than any one before, you can do what ever you want with it 8)
Only things missing are drivers for nvidia cards, original packages from Arch obviously don't work...

nooby,
That's strange error, if you started mplayer from terminal it should stop when you close it.
But if it's started with file manager it would open smplayer that one is just graphical fronted
it is still using mplayer. btw, this is original mplayer2 package from Arch with all codecs enabled, so it will play everything. :P

Edit
If you want to test new UI framework QT5, instructions are here http://archpup.freeforums.org/general-d ... on-f3.html

Scooby

#101 Post by Scooby »

I saw somewhere that you've added a repository for ArchPup, What was the reason for this?

Do the new version of Archpup work with Mavrothals inpet and outpet for .pet files?

Im sorry to hear Mavrothal decided to leave this project. He was good for balance.

Why exactly do you hate the puppy stuff like yaf-splash and so on? Takes to much space?

simargl

#102 Post by simargl »

I do not hate yaf-splash - it is already included as pwireless needs it. Only I don't like when there
are 10 scripts with different names that do the same thing, and it is 'show system notifications using gtkdialog'.

Is it so hard to every script use one notifications system - yaf-splash, gtkdialog-splash or whatever, just choose one and stick to it.

Mavrothal's decision to quit is his right and I respect it, although not quite understand.
I'm not sure that yaf-splash was only reason for him to quit, it's not logical - so there must have been something else.
Who knows maybe he will return once, but if he doesn't, it's not big problem... world is still spinning around as you see. :wink:

nooby

#103 Post by nooby »

oop ssorry then it is my fault. I prefer mplayer so I did not knew
about the other one. I truly am a noob. So no problemo
none other most likely do such stuff me did. So nothing to worry about

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#104 Post by Flash »

Will Archpup run from a multisession DVD, like Puppy does?

stifiling

#105 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:Mavrothal's decision to quit
Just want to make sure you know that i'm still here. I've been trying to get a 64 bit version working using the Fatdog64-521 kernel and initrd.gz. I have pacman working just fine. the init script is so different in Fatdog64 though. i'm having a hard time getting an adrv or ydrv working. I edited the init file and got the adrv to load...but when i had that success, the archpup-132.sfs was not found. it's got something to do with psubdir in the init script that's throwing it off. so i can get archpup-132.sfs to load without the adrv.sfs...or the adrv.sfs to load without archpup-132.sfs. I'm still trying hard to get them 'both' to work.

simargl

#106 Post by simargl »

Archpup have original init from standard Puppy so LOADING savefile from DVD will probably
work, but rc.shutdown is edited and simplified, to save session on reboot only if PUPMODE is equal 12 or 13 (hard disk and USB flash).
I thought no one will need anything more than that.

@stifiling: I can't work on 64-bit version, because no way to test the iso and obviously I have zero experience with 64-bit systems.
It is probably very similar to working with i686 only that lib folder is renamed to /usr/lib64.

stifiling

#107 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:It is probably very similar to working with i686 only that lib folder is renamed to /usr/lib64.
i would have thought so too. i tried using a regular init script and get nothing but 'kernel panic'. then i compared the differences between fatdog64's init, and a regular puppy's init....and they're 'completely' different.

/usr/lib64 is a symlink to /usr/lib....so looking at it from an overall....bird's eye view, it should work, but it doesn't.

they're similar in a lot of ways, but still different enough to not be able to easily (or even hardly) follow along and make the necessary adjustments to get adrv working.

i'm getting closer though, so we'll see.

anikin

#108 Post by anikin »

simargl wrote:Mavrothal's decision to quit is his right and I respect it, although not quite understand.
I'm not sure that yaf-splash was only reason for him to quit, it's not logical - so there must have been something else.
Who knows maybe he will return once, but if he doesn't, it's not big problem... world is still spinning around as you see. :wink:
Tell him, that his name will be mentioned in Distrowatch - and he'll be right back. Just kidding. Trying to lighten up the drama surrounding this venture. Hurt feelings, ruffled feathers, toys being thrown out of the cot. Sudden escapes and miraculous reunions. Very unusual for a Puppy project.

simargl

#109 Post by simargl »

New forum at http://archpup.freeforums.org/ is functional, but currently with only two users - darkcity and me,
so if you like Archpup please register, now I feel like talking to myself :P

Second thing I want to mention: thunor the developer of Gtkdialog is working on support for GTK3, when it is finished I will
compile it and include in next version.

New audio player will be audacious, version 3.4 alpha which allows to dock plugins (lyrics for example) into Gtk interface.

simargl

#110 Post by simargl »

This might be entertaining http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-a-follow-up
Allan McRae vs. Manjaro