ArchPup 13.2.2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
flamehazeshana13

Help me!

#61 Post by flamehazeshana13 »

First of all Great Pup, I've longed for an ArchLinux installation but don't have much bandwidth or I'm just too lazy.. So thanks for this! :)

Kind of a noob question, how do you change the video drivers in this Pup. I have an old PC and an old video card NVIDIA GeForce MX4000, I had no luck in Compiling the official driver as I think it is not compatible with the Xorg version included (my computers getting old.. :oops: ,no it IS old :lol: ) , the reason I'd like to have the drivers is because I use it for developing games, multimedia development stuff and gaming (light gaming of course)

If anybody has luck compiling the official drivers please inform me, if the official driver just won't cut it, I think I'll settle down for the NOUVEAU driver. But I don't know how to install this too :oops: , I have packages but don't know how to configure them. I became too used to XORGWIZARD :lol: . I tried using XORGWIZARD by getting them from my previous Slacko but Xorg breaks as it screws up xorg.conf ; so if anybody has the same problem or anything near it and has found a solution please please please inform me immediately! BTW the NVIDIA official drivers and NOUVEAU drivers works like a charm in my previous Slacko 5.4 Installation.

oh BTW this is my PC specs (aging computer :oops: ) if needed and if anyone is interested in finding a solution:

ArchPup 13.2
3.06Ghz Intel Celeron Processor
256MB RAM DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce MX4000 128MB
Realtek AC'97 Audio Card

Thanks and Cheers for ArchPup :D

simargl

#62 Post by simargl »

Hi flamehazeshana13 and thanks for using Archpup 8)

I also had nvidia graphic card, and after Xorg upgrade to 1.10 it became incompatible (that is reason why I left Arch Linux)

Tried to use nouveau driver but it wasn't very stable at that time, monitor would sometime start to flicker or even poweroff, 3D acceleration worked but everything was too dark and with lower FPS than using standard nvidia driver, so I switched to one slackware based distibution

Now, all of this relates to nvidia 96 driver - that will definitely not work, unfortunately we can't do anything about it, if nvidia decide not to support own company products..

Still, if you need newer drivers than 96 series, they are probably well supported and they should work

stifiling

#63 Post by stifiling »

i got an old nvidia card that uses the same driver. it's hard to get it to work but it can work by installing from the archpup repo the package 'downgrade'....and downgrading xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev, to older versions.....and then compiling and installing the proprietary nvidia driver. i'm messing around with it right now and will post the solution when i get it working.

xstylezx

#64 Post by xstylezx »

Im on Nvidia 6150se and the graphics driver on archpup for me is just terrible. I haven't had any luck, with nouveau or nvidia driver myself. I can't get correct monitor resolution with nvidiafb in use. Thats what it tells me is in use for driver. I will watch this carefully and hopefully someone gets a decent working solution for either nouveau or nvidia. The only issues at all I really have with archpup is this driver problem and also a udev problem that I haven't been able to iron down yet, other than it seems to flag any hardware that it can't find drivers for and if I don't delete these folders it seems to not correctly save to my savefile.

So basically if I don't go into udev folder and delete a couple folders with strange names then when i restart it will attempt to save to savefile but wont be able to locate the content of these folders and will throw up errors. If I delete the folders before restart everything proceeds and saves as normal. I have to remember to delete the folders before every restart or it wont save. I've had this same issue from the very first archpup to the current version. I've posted about it here before but my posts always go ignored. It is amazing to me that not even one other single person has this problem.....any ideas??

stifiling

#65 Post by stifiling »

I'm able to get xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev downgraded and working using the nv driver, but can't try it with the proprietary nvidia-96xx driver because the driver won't compile. it appears to be something with the linux-3.4.28_src.sfs file. i tried installing the default 3.7.5 linux-headers and can get a little further using that source....but of course, not far enough to successfully compile the nvidia.ko module.
xstylezx wrote:I can't get correct monitor resolution with nvidiafb in use. Thats what it tells me is in use for driver.
i ran into this as well. rivafb.ko or nvidiafb.ko was grabbing the nvidia card before nv could. so i unsquashed the main.sfs....deleted the folders that holds the .ko files:

/lib/modules/3.4.28-ARCHPUP/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia
/lib/modules/3.4.28-ARCHPUP/kernel/drivers/video/riva

and resquashed the main.sfs. nv then has a chance to grab the nvidia card and your screen resolution should be normal after this.

simargl

#66 Post by simargl »

@xstylezx, I went to www.nvidia.com to search for 6150SE graphic card drivers

Seems like it is version 173, and it has support for xorg-server 1.13
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

Did you try to compile that one?

simargl

#67 Post by simargl »

ArchPup 13.2.2 will be released very soon, if you think something should be added/removed/fixed add your comments today.

For next version gtk3 will be default - most of the programs support it already (spacefm, sakura, lxtask, yad....), and gtk2-only
applications (geany ?) will be replaced.

stifiling

#68 Post by stifiling »

i'm still wondering if anyone has installed 'any' of the nvidia drivers. not nv or nouveau, the proprietary one...that's made by the company. from the old one, to the newer one....

i don't think any of the nvidia drivers are installing. 173, 275, 304.....can someone confirm if this is correct or not...

666philb

#69 Post by 666philb »

When I installed the nVida driver from source, the driver compiled ok and seemed to install, however when x started I had no mouse or keyboard...
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

simargl

#70 Post by simargl »

666philb, on last question after it was installed "do you wan to run nvidia-xconfig" did you answer yes or no.

Maybe you could try to answer "no" there, I remember there was a problem with starting Xorg if these lines are missing from xorg.conf
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"
EndSection
No guarantee it will work this way either, but maybe nvidia-xconfig is overwriting those lines and that's why keyboard and mouse are not recognized

stifiling

#71 Post by stifiling »

the old 96xx module will build if you filemnt the saluki kernel source, extract the nvidia source files and cd into the nvidia source directory usr/src/nv and execute the command:

Code: Select all

[root@KMCs_Laptop3 nv]# make SYSSRC=/mnt/+mnt+home+kernel_sources-3.2.8-ski.sfs/usr/src/linux module
but it will not using archpup's kernel source like this:

[root@KMCs_Laptop3 nv]# make SYSSRC=/lib/modules/3.4.28-ARCHPUP/build module
it says:

[root@KMCs_Laptop3 nv]# make SYSSRC=/lib/modules/3.4.28-ARCHPUP/build module
Makefile:332: /lib/modules/3.4.28-ARCHPUP/build/Rules.make: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/lib/modules/3.4.28-ARCHPUP/build/Rules.make'.  Stop.
make: *** [module] Error 2

simargl

#72 Post by simargl »

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html
nvidia96 support xorg-server older than 1.12, so by default it will not work even if module did compile, but I was interested to see why that happens

Tried to compile it and got the same error as you, indeed /usr/src/linux-3.4.28/Rules.make is not there

Newer nvidia driver 173.14.36, with same command compiles successfully..

stifiling

#73 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html
nvidia96 support xorg-server older than 1.12, so by default it will not work even if module did compile, but I was interested to see why that happens

Tried to compile it and got the same error as you, indeed /usr/src/linux-3.4.28/Rules.make is not there

Newer nvidia driver 173.14.36, with same command compiles successfully..
That's true sim, that file is not there. but it's also not there in the saluki kernel source either, yet and still...the module compiles successfully.

also true that the 96xx nvidia module uses an older xorg-server...but that can be resolved by downgrading xorg-server to version 1.10, and also downgrading xf86-input-evdev to version 2.4 i believe. i've done it numerous times on arch linux and it works. it will work on archpup as well, just have to get the module to compile.

666philb

#74 Post by 666philb »

simargl wrote:666philb, on last question after it was installed "do you wan to run nvidia-xconfig" did you answer yes or no.

Maybe you could try to answer "no" there, I remember there was a problem with starting Xorg if these lines are missing from xorg.conf
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"
EndSection
No guarantee it will work this way either, but maybe nvidia-xconfig is overwriting those lines and that's why keyboard and mouse are not recognized
yes choosing no worked thanks :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

simargl

#75 Post by simargl »

New iso version 13.2.2 is available with some packages upgraded, archpup repository added into pacman.conf, plus
new audio player musique http://flavio.tordini.org/musique.

@666philb: Ok, I'm glad it's working now :P

xstylezx

#76 Post by xstylezx »

Congrats on the new release simargl!

Speaking of the graphics drivers, my nvidia 6150se runs great on latest lxpup slacko with nvidia driver 304.64 as shown in nvidia x server settings. I can run games like assaultcube reloaded and 0ad and similar games just fine. Nothing real intensive graphics wise, but they do run great. Personally id be happy getting nouveau working myself. I'm going to try a few things mentioned in this thread when I get a chance, been busy lately. Will try the new version soon as well! :D

oui

Hi

#77 Post by oui »

Hi

mavrothal

you are making a good thing a little «kaput»

the initial ArchPup was really something new, as a Puppy with the freshness of the initial Puppy's (witch you did probably not know). sigmarl make this time exactly the same error as Barry Kauler itself:

BK did invent the thing with the «save file», a terrible thing, easy to copy, unprotected or as well...

and sigmarl did build this UGGLY ficture in his concept... WRRRRRRRR.H!

sigmarl did build the first "modern" Puppy after years, without save file, without little windows killing the time, and you a few guy's did turn him so, that he did reintroduce the UGGLY FILE and more and more little windows killing the time of the user!

good luck: «You have the distribution on the conscience» (Sie haben die Distribution auf dem Gewissen)!

rgds

nooby

#78 Post by nooby »

oui interesting what you write here
"sigmarl did build the first "modern" Puppy
after years, without save file"

which iso are you talking about+ Can it still be downloaded?

Maybe you could start a new thread about the good and bad
about having save files? No criticism but this thread is about ArchPup
so will be split up if we start to talk about savefile good and bad on that one.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

oui

#79 Post by oui »

Hi nooby

which one? this one of course

I am using it daily with Icecat as you can see on the bar...

no smudge windows, no artifice, all best, small, fast and safe at the user side!

Kind regards

nooby

#80 Post by nooby »

oops sorry it is the picture at the http://sourceforge.net/projects/archpup/
http://c.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/archpup/ ... 2.12-1.jpg

kernel 3.6.8 but which version of Archpup is it? Maybe this one
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83064

ArchPup 12.12.2 archpup-12.12.2.iso
I actually have that one by accident :)

But I do use a savefile so maybe you
did a remaster so you don't need that one.

I need it to do Swedish like åäö and to get keyboard right .
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though