ArchPup 13.2.2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dennis-slacko531

you guys shouldn't worry

#16 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Archpup is a hobby that users love. It's my featured Linux...

http://www.LNUX.com :lol:

simargl

#17 Post by simargl »

There are 10K downloads, and maybe 100 users or something like that. and it is all great, if there are two users again
it's very good. This cannot be put to the same league with linux projects that actually spend a lot of money on marketing,
beside it's not even added to distrowatch.

stifiling, I added you to archpup-repository members, did you manage to follow my confusing instructions

oui

#18 Post by oui »

Hi Sigmarl

I did try now this new release (minimal version of course). It has a great presentation, gratulation!

As I process very often land maps, the room in high direction of screen is always too short, even in full screen :x ... And the bar at the bottom is really very big. I suppose it would be easy to turn it back at the left side as it were initially in the first ArchPup?

(I am sorry, but it is so that new high resolution screen are a lot more wide than high. In text documents, it is no problem as we can scroll. But in pictural applications the scrolling hability is rarely available, more rarely in both visualisation and printing! You sacrify a lot of the more important screen direction as a lot of transfers of picture has to be made by screen print shots :idea: !)

My next problem as "save file non user", more "save file refuser" is the extremly slow exit from system:

step 1 hit right mouse key
step 2 move cursor to the 'exit' selector
step 3 hit left mouse key on it, new window appears
step 4 move cursor to the 'reboot' selector
step 5 hit left mouse key on it, new window appears for save file
step 6 move cursor to the 'quit' selector
step 7 hit left mouse key on it

5 five steps to much :wink:

instead CTRL+ALT+DEL and immediate rebooting as usual :oops: (don't react actually, probably filtered :roll: !)

An other question:

Is it possible to connect pacman to use those packages:

https://parabolagnulinux.org/packages/?q=icecat :?:

kind regards

simargl

#19 Post by simargl »

Hi oui,
long time no see :D.
For icecat you can download it from here https://parabolagnulinux.org/packages/l ... 86/icecat/
and then install it with pacman -U.

I moved panel to the bottom, was bored with it on the left, and needed some changes, but it is easy to move it back.
This might be useful http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure
You would need to change these two lines:
panel_position = top left
panel_orientation=vertical

And to call logout screen, there is shortcut keys combination win+x, :wink: that makes it faster.
If you want to make a remaster, but with disabled savefile dialog on reboot, open /etc/rc.conf and set needed variable to "no", you will see which one.

oui

#20 Post by oui »

Hi Sigmarl

Thank you very much, I will just try all that :lol: !

Last question: would ArchPup / pacman accept the Parabola depository? What would be to adapt?

Good evening!

Bye

darkcity

#21 Post by darkcity »

The way I see it is Archpup is a great base, which could have the tradition 'puppy experience' added on top. But I get the impression simargl isn't so interested in that, more the ability to frugally install.

The 'puppy experience' is really just a few apps and tools that do away with the need for a full blown desktop environment.

One of the problems is very nice 'community editions' come out but then half of the nice features are left out in next release. We can see this from Puppy 4 to Puppy Lucid 5.2x to Puppy Slacko 5.3+.

I see one possible solution being collecting all those features up and making them more configurable - to make something like a Puppy Linux Desktop Environment. This could then be tacked on to whatever Puppy versions come from Barry etc. It would be possible to even tack it on to standard Arch . . .

8)

Arefacti

#22 Post by Arefacti »

Hello, particularly a small problem, but I must not be alone in having an AMD processor.
That the management of energy.
So I understood the need to load the microcode and powernow-K7 in / etc / rc.conf.

the

Code: Select all

lsmod
tell me that powernow-K7 is loaded right

But then, I must establish a management policy for energy, and I did it in / etc / conf.d / cpupower :

# Valid governors:
# Ondemand, performance, powersave,
# conservative, userspace
governor = "conservative"
# Valid suffixes: Hz, kHz (default), MHz, GHz, THz
min_freq = "530MHz"
max_freq = "1.99GHz"
# Use freq to set up the exact cpu frequency using it with userspace governor
# freq =
but this does not work, I have to go into console and type :

sh-c "echo conservative> / sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor" So I said I'll make a executable:sh-c "echo conservative> / sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor"
so perhaps I must made an executable and launched by ~ /. start ?

but I don't know how I 'll do that !

Could you help me?

cordially

simargl

#23 Post by simargl »

Perhaps you could try to add that directly to /root/.start without making executable first. Simply add:

echo conservative> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
after volumeicon & and it should work.
Last edited by simargl on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

Arefacti

#24 Post by Arefacti »

Hello,
thanks for your answer.

There was some little difference on your line code and what I must type in console, so I corrected.
I'm not saying this to be incorrect with you, but to prevent another person who will perhaps said : "the code is not good."
I really appreciate your help !

So, unfortunately, even after my little corrections, it does not work.
the frequency-info command always returns a high frequency processor and the fan turns like crazy!

simargl

#25 Post by simargl »

[root@archpup ~]# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance
[root@archpup ~]# echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
conservative
To tell you the truth I've never used this before :roll:, if something more is needed I hope someone will come with more useful information
Edit: changed / sys to /sys in post above, guess that must have been problem

stifiling

#26 Post by stifiling »

sim,

wanted to ask...have you ever tried running the system completely as a user? the user arch or any other created user?

i messed around with it slightly and from that quick, few minutes test...it appeared to be working just fine...

Arefacti

#27 Post by Arefacti »

simargl wrote:
performance
[root@archpup ~]# echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
conservative
To tell you the truth I've never used this before :roll:, if something more is needed I hope someone will come with more useful information
Edit: changed / sys to /sys in post above, guess that must have been problem
don't work..
(Edit : don't understand your edit" it doesn't matter..)

simargl

#28 Post by simargl »

Running as regular user always works good, if you open terminal and type: su arch
you can start any application as that user. But logging in as user arch never worked, xorg crashes with some
missing libraries error, and I really don't know why this happens

I added some packages to repository, built from AUR but with some edits to make them even more lightweight:
uget-gtk2 (disabled gstreamer dependency)
gnome-mplayer-gtk2 (disabled gnome-power-manager)

Also I tried to compile virtualbox, but unfortunately that didn't work, -ldevmapper complained
about missing udev 183, this one is to old (175)

simargl

#29 Post by simargl »

@oui,
For using Parabola linux repo - first add this to /etc/pacman.conf

[libre]
Server = http://repo.parabolagnulinux.org/libre/os/$arch/
and then install icecat 8)

pacman -S icecat

rcrsn51

#30 Post by rcrsn51 »

Printing in Archpup

I spent a day working on this and eventually got printing to work with one particular model. But there were so many hurdles.

1. CUPS is very specific about its environment. If the CUPS package was compiled in real Arch, then it wants to run in real Arch. Archpup is not real Arch.

2. Printers need driver packages. In Puppy there are lots of drivers ready-made as PETs. But in Archpup, you have to go to the repo. This introduces more compatibility problems with Archpup. And the Arch repo only appears to support a few vendors.

stifiling

user login

#31 Post by stifiling »

Take a look at this. this is on archpup 1204, xorg-server 1.12.1, using saluki's kernel.

I'm logged in as user 'k' and had to install and use sudo to gain root privileges. the two folders on the left are showing how you can't access /mnt/home as the user....and the two on the right are opened using sudo, showing how you can now gain access to /mnt/home.

i do prefer to run as root. it just makes life easier if you ask me. i also think running as a user would bring about some challenging tasks. but as we can see here....it 'can' be done, if you wanted to set it up that way.

simargl

#32 Post by simargl »

I think logging in like unprivileged user would just add unnecessary complications with for example: installing packages would then require always
to type sudo plus password, then we would need to setup users group and add permissions for mounting disk partitions.
I like running as root, and see user's arch role only for programs that don't allow to be executed as root for example vlc and 0AD:

@rcrsn51:CUPS package is compiled in Archpup (chroot) for Archpup, and it is exactly the same version like in original Arch, only that it doesn't need
some dependencies like avahi and krb5, plus cups daemon is started by /etc/init.d/cups, not with systemd like in Arch. I believe cups to be perfectly compatible with Archpup, because it was compiled there...

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

simargl wrote:CUPS package is compiled in Archpup (chroot) for Archpup, and it is exactly the same version like in original Arch, only that it doesn't need some dependencies like avahi and krb5, plus cups daemon is started by /etc/init.d/cups, not with systemd like in Arch. I believe cups to be perfectly compatible with Archpup, because it was compiled there...
Are you confirming that it works? Have you installed your own printer in Archpup?

simargl

#34 Post by simargl »

I don't have printer to start with.. Also I don't have wireless, but with users help we managed
to fix initial problems. For cups, I checked that cups background service is running on start and
that localhost:631 is accessible through web browser.
Also I see that you got it to work, and don't really understand what is the problem.
Cheers

oui

#35 Post by oui »

Hi Sigmarl
simargl wrote:Hi oui,
long time no see :D.
For icecat you can download it from here https://parabolagnulinux.org/packages/l ... 86/icecat/
and then install it with pacman -U.

I moved panel to the bottom, was bored with it on the left, and needed some changes, but it is easy to move it back.
This might be useful http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure
You would need to change these two lines:
panel_position = top left
panel_orientation=vertical

And to call logout screen, there is shortcut keys combination win+x, :wink: that makes it faster.
If you want to make a remaster, but with disabled savefile dialog on reboot, open /etc/rc.conf and set needed variable to "no", you will see which one.
no, dear Sigmarl, the difference is ridiculous, only 1 step less!

and I stay here:
oui wrote:step 3 hit left mouse key on it, new window appears
step 4 move cursor to the 'reboot' selector
step 5 hit left mouse key on it, new window appears for save file
step 6 move cursor to the 'quit' selector
step 7 hit left mouse key on it

5 five steps to much :wink:

instead CTRL+ALT+DEL and immediate rebooting as usual :oops: (don't react actually, probably filtered :roll: !)
I thing, it is a kind of «little-windows-terror» aligned against the user :lol: I am sorry, I can't agree!

as I restart till 10 .. 15 time pro day or more depending of my jobs, this detail is extremely important for me an probably for each user (less if they restart less as I more if they restart more as I, for ex. for security consideration: my screen doesn't stay open and running if I am not at my place)!

I did move to SliTaz and stay there if not installed Linux become so slow made by their creators!

I understand how impressive those windows are for you or other Puplet creators to present in all tranquility her work to other but it is absolutely not practical!

The way to an instant reboot (CTRL+ALT+DEL) or shutdown is MORE than important!