Puppy-to-Puppy LAN with Samba

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sparky2

#16 Post by Sparky2 »

I am experiencing the same problem as raffy. I feel that I am sooooo close but, as yet, no cigar.

I have installed Samba Server on both machines, changed the workgroup at the top of smb.conf and modified [homes] near the bottom of smb.conf to the following:

[Home]
comment = Home on ibm
path = /root/
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes
writable = yes
valid users = %S

I also tried modifying [public] to following:

#[public]
# path = /root/
# public = yes
# guest ok = yes
# only guest = yes
# writable = yes
# printable = yes

but it didn't seem to make any difference so I commented it out again.

I can successfully query the host in both directions and I seem to be making a connection in both directions but when I try to mount the share I get the "badpw" (bad password) error message. To my knowledge I don't even have a password.

NEWS FLASH: I commented out the "valid users = %S" line and everything works wonderfully. Instead of editing the [homes] section, I should have just followed the instructions on topic 6118 (link provided by duke below).

This is great! The forum community comes through again! I did some of the reading suggested by John Doe and the more I read, the more scared I got. It was looking like something I'd have to spend a lot of time on but in fact it all turned out to be amazingly simple and it works like a dream.

I now can share my Windows files with Puppy and my Puppy files with Puppy. Next up is sharing my Puppy files with Windows (not sure why I'd want to do that since I'll probably be using Windows less and less from now on) but I suspect that will be a piece of cake now that I have Samba Server running on my Puppies.

Thanks again everyone.

Kal

#17 Post by Kal »

Your welcome, Duke"s dad.
Good Luck, Kal

Sparky2

#18 Post by Sparky2 »

Hi Kal,

Your smb.conf file looks really good to me. I haven't specified everything you have so I guess I'm letting Samba use its defaults in a few areas but that's OK because it works.

You have the line:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

I have a vague idea that this might speed sending and receiving by increasing buffer sizes but where do you pull the numbers from? Would they change from system to system or NIC to NIC?

Sparky2

#19 Post by Sparky2 »

Kal,

"Duke's Dad"? Is that an inside joke that I'm missing or something?

Kal

#20 Post by Kal »

No Joke!
I understand from an expert on this forum, that it is not needed any more. He also said it wouldn't hurt anything. We tested both ways and decided to include it. The other distros, we checked have it in. Sometimes they cut the buffer in half, as in Mepis.
Good Luck, Kal
PS: You might mark this solved.

Sparky2

#21 Post by Sparky2 »

Now I think I get it - YOU are Duke's dad, eh?

I couldn't find the speed.txt referred to in the smb.conf example file so I googled it and found this: http://www.dd.iij4u.or.jp/~okuyamak/Doc ... glish.html I guess its a translation of a Japanese page but I got the gist ...... I did notice that they seemed to think there might be some significant performance differences with some NICs if the setting was 8576 instead of 8192. I had no idea of what that meant or why or in which situation (dependant upon mss or something ?????) so I ran away and posted my question.

I think I'll just leave it alone for now........

Mark

sunburnt

#22 Post by sunburnt »

The password thing is controlled be the line in the global section: security = share , or security = user
security = user is the normal setup & requires a user password, security = share is not secure... but I use it.
Also in global is needed: guest account = root

In the share definations for no password add the line:
public = yes (and/or) only guest = yes

browseable = yes (makes the share show up in a listing.
Attachments
rc.samba.gz
Heres a good Samba start file, it goes in: /etc/rc.d
It starts, stops, & restarts Samba server.
(413 Bytes) Downloaded 379 times