PupRescue_Precise

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
wimpy

#31 Post by wimpy »

Yes! You're quite right. The iso file I've been using is PupRescue_2.5.iso. I may have referred to it differently above, but it is the same file and the md5sum check is correct. I have already supplied above a template of the menu.lst entry for all the distros I've tried.
I've since deleted all the files in that iso/PupRescue_2.5 folder (bar the iso file which I unarchived in that folder). Without changing menu.lst, I rebooted and this time it went through OK and it boots from grub4dos. Thanks for your help.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

CatDude

#32 Post by CatDude »

Hello wimpy
wimpy wrote:Yes! You're quite right. The iso file I've been using is PupRescue_2.5.iso. I may have referred to it differently above, but it is the same file and the md5sum check is correct.
Fair enough, but it saves any confusion if you refer to it correctly.
wimpy wrote:...You say that you have successfully done a frugal installation of this iso.
Correct.
wimpy wrote:...If you are able to boot it from grub4dos would it not be more appropriate for you to supply your menu.lst entry.
I never mentioned anything about using grub4dos, i did say "The following stanza works for me using Legacy Grub:"
But just for you i made a quick install on a flash drive using grub4dos,
i was able to boot it using either of these two stanza's:

Code: Select all

title PupRescue 2.5 (sdb1/pr25)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /pr25/initrd.gz
  kernel /pr25/vmlinuz   psubdir=pr25 pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /pr25/initrd.gz

title PupRescue 2.5 (sdb1/pr25) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /pr25/initrd.gz
  kernel /pr25/vmlinuz   psubdir=pr25 pfix=ram
  initrd /pr25/initrd.gz
I have attached the complete menu.lst below (remove the fake .gz)

wimpy wrote:...Of all the puppy distro isos I've tried this is the only one without a isolinux.bin and a isolinux.cfg.
That's because it is set up to use Grub.

CatDude
Attachments
menu.lst.gz
Remove the fake .gz
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

wimpy

#33 Post by wimpy »

I was busy editing my post while you were answering it. I thought that my post sounded a tad rude, and in any case I had confirmed that grub4dos will boot the iso. I am grateful for your help.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

Gooplusplus

Two YUMI ISOs for Pup Rescue 2.5 and Precise PupRescue

#34 Post by Gooplusplus »

Two new USB YUMI-compatible ISOs for Pup Rescue 2.5 and Precise Pup Rescue

http://www.gooplusplus.com/pup-rescue-2.5-yumi.iso --- ( lupu-PupRescue_2.5-YUMI.iso )
http://www.gooplusplus.com/precise-pup-rescue-yumi.iso --- ( Precise-PupRescue-YUMI.iso )

Download the ISO, start YUMI and select Lucid Puppy Linux or Precise Puppy Linux.

The original CDROM ISO for PupRescue 2.5 and Precise PupRescue lacked any isolinux files to help it work with YUMI USB Multiboot software.

Since we plan to add PupRescue to one of our new USB Multiboot KUDOS collections, we added a few files to enable YUMI use.

You can find Gooplusplus USB Multiboot collections at this link: http://www.gooplusplus.com/multiboot-collections/

We have not tested everything in these YUMI-compatible versions of PupRescue but the basics seem to work.

We noted that while networking works, there is no default web browser in PupRescue 2.5 so you will have to add one.
Fortunately, Precise Pup Rescue includes the SeaMonkey (Firefox) web browser.

Unfortunately, after YUMI installs the distro files to your USB flash drive, YUMI might not add the new entry to syslinux.cfg

You can manually edit /multiboot/syslinux.cfg to ADD THIS TEXT:
#start lupu-pupRescue-2.5
LABEL Puppy Rescue 2.5
MENU LABEL Puppy Rescue 2.5
MENU INDENT 1
CONFIG /multiboot/lupu-PupRescue_2.5-YUMI/isolinux.cfg
APPEND /multiboot/lupu-PupRescue_2.5-YUMI/
#end lupu-pupRescue-2.5
#start Precise-PupRescue-YUMI
LABEL Precise Puppy Rescue
MENU LABEL Precise Puppy Rescue
MENU INDENT 1