Slacko 5.5 Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tlchost

getlibre is broken

#31 Post by tlchost »

get libreoffice is now broken with bootable usb drive...tells me it does not support DVD or low ram installs....works fine in the non-beta versions of Slacko.

Note: This problem cropped up with the upgrade pet for the ppm that was pulled because it was defective.

Video, sound, internet, 16 gigs of memory and 2 tb drive all show up and work as they should.

Thom

Billtoo

Slacko 5.4.1 Beta

#32 Post by Billtoo »

I moved my 8gb flash drive install over to my acer desktop pc, it went
straight to the desktop using the nouveau driver.
I downloaded the latest proprietary nvidia driver and after removing
the nouveau driver I compiled that:

video-info-glx1.5.1 Mon 4 Feb 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.4.0.2 Linux3.4.28-PAE i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller:nVidia CorporationG84[GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 2880x900 pixels (746x231 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.09

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @1603 1: @1603 2: @1603 3: @1603 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/video-info-glx'.

This pc also has a Hauppauge pvr card in it.
That was fairly easy :)
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(48.72 KiB) Downloaded 1288 times

JustGreg

#33 Post by JustGreg »

I burned the ISO to a CDROM and tried it.

On my Acer Aspire Rev R1600. It work fine, booted directly into the desktop without a hitch. The correct driver was selected for Nvidia card.

On my ASUS EeePC model 1201 HAB, it was a different story. The xorg server failed to be configured correctly. I had to do a manual setup using xorgwizard after the failure to the console. I selected "modeselect" driver and the standard 1368 by 768 by 16 graphics mode. I did not test the configuration, but, finished. The xwin command started the xorg server started correctly. I did have the block cursor. After going through the start screens for time, keyboard and internet, zcedar script was shown and hitting enter corrected the mouse cursor to the normal pointer. A restart after creation of a save file showed no problems.

The only problem area is the start screens that are shown before the start of zcedar.sh script. One has to know the upper left hand corner of the box cursor is the same as the tip of arrow pointer to select items. Without this knowledge, it is confusing on how to select items in the two startup configuration windows.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Sage

#34 Post by Sage »

If flashplayer woes continue
Not worth abandoning Opera because the user has problems selecting the correct FP version! Trial & error always works. It's not video card/driver specific - it's the cr*p Adobe company. Yet another Yank $$$ syndrome!

01micko

Re: getlibre is broken

#35 Post by 01micko »

tlchost wrote:get libreoffice is now broken with bootable usb drive...tells me it does not support DVD or low ram installs....works fine in the non-beta versions of Slacko.
This is strange, but I guess there is some conflict. I'll resolve it soon because I want the program ready for when libreoffice-4.0 is released some time soon, perhaps very soon. Currently it does download (4.0-rc) but it is slightly broken, PLUS, they have in their infinite wisdom added dependency on gconf (heaven knows why), a bloated crappy gnome library that does nothing more than sort out some configuration files.. :? I'll have to throw in a warning to grab that package from PPM and install it.
JustGreg wrote:On my ASUS EeePC model 1201 HAB, it was a different story. The xorg server failed to be configured correctly. I had to do a manual setup using xorgwizard after the failure to the console. I selected "modeselect" driver and the standard 1368 by 768 by 16 graphics mode. I did not test the configuration, but, finished. The xwin command started the xorg server started correctly. I did have the block cursor. After going through the start screens for time, keyboard and internet, zcedar script was shown and hitting enter corrected the mouse cursor to the normal pointer. A restart after creation of a save file showed no problems.
It may be my bad there as I had 24 colors set in the xorg.conf-poulsbo template. We'll try it once more in the next beta and see if we can't get X starting without xorgwizard and if it fails then we'll add a note to the "official" known issues. Thankfully, intel has dropped production of laptops with those fickle chipsets, which may be bad luck for you and thousands of others as they receive less attention from developers. Alan Cox is the main guy who has done most of the work on this issue (A,C is a recently "retired" kernel dev, intel, red hat employee and X.org dev.)
JustGreg wrote:The only problem area is the start screens that are shown before the start of zcedar.sh script. One has to know the upper left hand corner of the box cursor is the same as the tip of arrow pointer to select items. Without this knowledge, it is confusing on how to select items in the two startup configuration windows.
I'll shift zcedar.sh up the pecking order, actually to /usr/sbin and call it from /usr/sbin/delayedrun before any of the other timezone/keyboard/locale gui's.
Sage wrote:Not worth abandoning Opera because the user has problems selecting the correct FP version! Trial & error always works. It's not video card/driver specific - it's the cr*p Adobe company. Yet another Yank $$$ syndrome!
Hopefully ziggy's issue is isolated and only related to his graphics driver. As said, I'll likely use the slightly older kernel from 5.4 for the next beta and hope it doesn't break JustGreg's above situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check this out.. <-- http://code.google.com/p/svg-edit/

It's an svg plug-in for most popular browsers. I don't even know how to install it but you can unzip it in a dir and run the index.html file. Pretty cool. Probably if it's installed in the browser and correct mime added to the browser it could be made to open svg files by clicking. It's less than 1 M.
Attachments
capture31006.jpg
(30.88 KiB) Downloaded 1219 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tlchost

#36 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:
tlchost wrote:get libreoffice is now broken with bootable usb drive...tells me it does not support DVD or low ram installs....works fine in the non-beta versions of Slacko.
This is strange, but I guess there is some conflict. I'll resolve it soon because I want the program ready for when libreoffice-4.0 is released some time soon, perhaps very soon. Currently it does download (4.0-rc) but it is slightly broken, PLUS, they have in their infinite wisdom added dependency on gconf (heaven knows why), a bloated crappy gnome library that does nothing more than sort out some configuration files.. :? I'll have to throw in a warning to grab that package from PPM and install it.
FWIW, I used getlibreoffice to create version 3.6.5 in the non-beta Slacko(OAE Opera) with no problems.

01micko

#37 Post by 01micko »

Please test this version of inkscape lite. I had to patch it to get it to compile, as I did with full inkscape. The binary is about 240k bigger, but if it woks well it's better than not working.

I also had to fluff around to get it to compile, some weird linker error, but it wasn't too hard to fix. I'll post the patch, it applies cleanly to BK's source.

Hope it works! (hmmmm.. been hoping THAT a lot lately!)

PET -- http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... 86-s14.pet 604k
Attachments
inkscape_glib_slacko.diff.gz
PATCH
(432 Bytes) Downloaded 397 times

zigbert

#38 Post by zigbert »

Hi

The updated inklite had no positive effect on my svg logo.
The plugin showed the svg correct, but acts very slow when it comes to editing.

Thanks a lot for your effort Mick
Sigmund

--------------
Edit:
Testing has been with Slacko 5.3.3

01micko

#39 Post by 01micko »

Sigmund,

Can you please try dia from the Salix repo, graphics section of PPM. It's 3.1M xz compressed, which, when dev and doc are stripped add 3M to the iso. Maybe I'll get the source and compile it, might get a better result, of course if it is a suitable app. (5.3.3 should have it too IIRC).

zigbert

#40 Post by zigbert »

I have tested Dia - Let's keep inklite :wink:
We know about the issue - and grab it, if we find another solution.

Sigmund

zigbert

#41 Post by zigbert »

Don't want to fuss too much, but have you tested the updated gtkdialog-splash. I mentioned it before 5.3.3, and you responded that there is an issue with the -margin/-border setting (see link). BUT - this is no issue to already existing splash-code which doesn't use these settings.

I have never had any issues with it, and I just install the newer one....
As said; No fuss - your choice!!!!

Sigmund

Billtoo

Slacko 5.4.1 Beta

#42 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to an ext4 formatted 8gb SDHC card using
grub4dos as the bootloader.
It went straight to the desktop using the radeon driver and sound etc.
was all working.
I ran the cpu frequency scaling utility.
I installed the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run
proprietary graphics driver:

Report Video 1.4-Tue 5 Feb 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.4.0.2 - Linux 3.4.28-PAE i686
Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS780 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Version 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Y_es
# glxgears
17422 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3484.281 FPS
17468 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3493.596 FPS
17479 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3495.781 FPS
Computer
Processor 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Memory 7975MB (195MB used)

I installed my favorite applications from ppm and pets.
It's working well so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(97.79 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times

zigbert

#43 Post by zigbert »

More Flash testing
- Can't get Opera to play youtube video with any of the offered Flash-versions in GetFlash.
- Both Firefox-18 and Chromium-25 works (only tested with the latest version of Flashplayer offered in GetFlash
- On the other hand, installing Chromium knocked out Rox pinboard and corrupted My gtk2. Using the default gtk-theme shows most of the gui, so I can still navigate. Wow - This is getting fun :D

Sigmund

ally

#44 Post by ally »

5.4.02 running well with no hanging

powercut has resulted in a shorter uptime for testing but all ok so far

:)
Last edited by ally on Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

SFR

#45 Post by SFR »

Zigbert wrote:Can't get Opera to play youtube video with any of the offered Flash-versions in GetFlash.
As I have mentioned in Slacko-5.4 bug thread I've observed similar behaviour:
me wrote:If I launch Slacko in VBox, then indeed, Flash doesn't work at all and there are graphical glitches in Opera.
But then again when booted in real environment, everything's fine...
IIRC, I read somewhere that this can be caused by Xorg/Vesa differences, but most likely there's a lot more factors...
Anyway, out of curiosity, I launched 5.4.0.2 in VBox again paying attention for any differences.
In my Toshiba/Acer Slacko boots into desktop using 24 bitplanes, but in VBox - only 16 bitplanes...
So, using xorgwizard I changed color depth to 24 bitplanes...and YT started to work; graphical glitches have gone also (see screenshots).
It's quite a long shot, but maybe this is also the cause of your problems..?

@Mick: +1 for updated gtkdialog-splash - I'm using it since 5.2.8 without any troubles.

HTH
Greetings!
Attachments
16bitplanes.jpeg
(78.85 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times
24bitplanes.jpeg
(95.24 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#46 Post by 01micko »

-I'll update the chromium package, I already uploaded new google-chome-24xxx so should be at ibiblio and nluug by now.

-I just tested gtkdialog-splash. I remember there was an issue with -fg $color but that seems ok now, maybe that was the first version, anyway it can be in

-Sigmund, I remember your ATI card gives trouble since 431 IIRC, you included a special driver in Stardust puplet. Was that the radeon-hd xorg driver? If so I can compile it and put it in. I will message rurario (Norwegian Slacker, works at Opera) about the 16 bit colour bug in Opera. Also I'll post it in the Opera forum. Maybe it's an easy fix for them. You could also try opera-12.11 (pets @ ibiblio, nluug) and see if the issue is there. We are using now latest 12.13 (Feb 1 release).

-also uploaded are midnight commander by billtoo (plus slang dep), fixed umplayer. VLC-2.0.5 is packaged a bit weird billtoo, lots of stuff in /root.

peebee

#47 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

I am getting errors when copying files between directories using drag and drop in rox-filer in 5.4.0.2:

Code: Select all

cp: preserving permissions for '/mnt/home/test1/compile/lib/wlc_hybrid.o_shipped': Operation not supported
Failed to copy '/mnt/home/broadcom-sta/Broadcom-Sources-5.100.82.112-patched/lib/wlc_hybrid.o_shipped'
I am seeing the same errors in pemasu's recent dpup-wheezy - the file is copied correctly despite the error message

I have compiled the wl broadcom driver successfully for the 3.4.28 kernel - please say if you want it....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Billtoo

#48 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote: VLC-2.0.5 is packaged a bit weird billtoo, lots of stuff in /root.
Here's one that I compiled tonight in 5.4.0.2 after booting
pfix=ram,installing qt-482 from ppm, and installing a lua pet.
If it works well give credit to pemasu, it's his configure line, I
just added --disable-dbus to it plus the lua pet.
It's actually a little larger than the other vlc pet but the
vlc-2.0.5-i686.files is smaller.

Here's the download link:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-4c2cf0f4.html
Attachments
vlc205scrn.jpg
(35.84 KiB) Downloaded 565 times

tlchost

#49 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:
This is strange, but I guess there is some conflict. I'll resolve it soon
FWIW, as an experiment, I deleted the lines in the script that called the routine that said no low memory/usb.

As soon as I did that, the script worked....until the very end...when sfsload could not find the sfs file. So it appears to me that the script does not see the memory I have(16 gigs). When I find an older machine, I'll test it there and let you know.

Thom

James C

#50 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install on an old P4 test box. Looking good so far.

# report-video
Report Video 1.4 - Tue 5 Feb 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.4.0.2 - Linux 3.4.28-PAE i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)865G Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel

dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
378 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.400 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.141 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.144 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.138 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.149 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 2551MB (220MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Puppy Linux
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue Feb 5 20:12:14 2013