Slacko 5.5 Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
zigbert

#16 Post by zigbert »

Yes, I am a dummy, so please enlighten me.
I let Opera save username and password for this forum. Next time I enter the login-page, the usrname/password fields are now yellow, but no preloaded username nor password string. What am I supposed to do? This is probably (hopefully) logical. Since both Opera and me are made in Norway, I thought we should think equal, but NOT. :)

Sigmund

SFR

#17 Post by SFR »

zigbert wrote:rox /root/within.mp3 --> works
rox "/root/within temptation" --> No good
I too noticed this some time ago, in 5.3.3 yet...
My "fix" was to add double quotes in /usr/local/bin/rox:

Code: Select all

exec /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun "${@#*file://}"
though dunno if that doesn't break something else in return..?
Anyway since then I haven't encountered any problems...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:and one more...

No message that Flash is missing.
I used getflash to install, but still Opera wouldn't play youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLHXLAG_l0)

Sigmund
Is that supposed to be a video? I hear the music but only get static pic (I'm guessing that's it.. stock included flash here)
the usrname/password fields are now yellow, but no preloaded username nor password string
How should I know? They are Norwegian.. ..seriuosly though.. the key at top left. But you knew that didn't you? I'm not going back to seamonkey, it's size is ridiculous.
Attachments
capture31876.png
(189.57 KiB) Downloaded 988 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#19 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:Is that supposed to be a video? I hear the music but only get static pic (I'm guessing that's it.. stock included flash here)
No music for me - No video work at youtube. I'll take a look later and report back. (in 5.3.3 now).
01micko wrote:. ..seriuosly though.. the key at top left. But you knew that didn't you?
Actually, I didn't - Suddenly Opera becomes useful :lol:

Sigmund

Billtoo

Slacko 5.4.1 Beta

#20 Post by Billtoo »

While playing Kpatience in jwm the window reacts everytime I click on
a card, jumps a little, I haven't seen that before.
I installed icewm and gave that a try, it works normally.
Also, when the cursor is over the corner of a window in jwm it changes
shape to a square, never seen that before either but maybe it's
supposed to do that?

Jades

#21 Post by Jades »

Heh, good timing! I'd noticed that the System Properties screen on XP said "Physical Address Extension" at the bottom so was going to try the PAE version of Slacko 5.4 to see if it had any better luck with the WN111v2. I'll give this a shot instead.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#22 Post by Jades »

Testing on Merlin, Pentium D 3.4GHz. Slacko 5.4.0.2 PAE.

Initial pfix=ram boot passed without incident. Usual settings on the initial setup screen, Set up networking with Network Wizard. Netgear WN111v2 seen by Puppy and working. Using Static IPs as normal. Downloaded and installed latest Flash Player, set up Opera.

I notice that the default cache size for Opera is 50MB, 20MB may be a more conservative size if users are having relatively small save files.

Surfed for a couple of minutes to verify network was working. Manually copied Slacko 5.4.0.2 to PuppyFiles directory on sda1 (NTFS hard drive) and rebooted. Created new save file - 512MB ext4 saved into sda1/PuppyFiles - as normal.

Initial boot from newly-created save file completed without incident, the SFS Load screen came up as normal and all settings have been remembered. Networking still functioning. Downloaded a few pets from PPM.

Pidgin from PPM hasn't created a menu icon but can be run from the console.

Looking good so far, will keep an eye on the wireless networking during an extended surfing session with a lot of data use.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Sage

#23 Post by Sage »

weird by Puppies is the default mouse-setting
...especially the little meeces. ?Definitely manufacturer & connection dependent. USB more bother than PS/2 - usual problem with the trade: one step forward, you know the rest.
Also getting problems with FP. Opera prefers one of the older ones - choose the middle option in the PPM selection or the 11.x.x.235, often a series 9 or 10 works better. It's the fault of Adobe.
Couple of other issues - later.

01micko

#24 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:- A funny issue that also happend with Slacko 5.3.3 is with the jwmconfig script. I like the virtual desktops to be in 1 row and 4 columns instead of the default setting. First time I do this I get 4 rows and 1 columns (the oposit). If I do it once again, it works as expected.
Ok, it's fixed for next, just some bad coding.
zigbert wrote:- Testing the pseries, I see a strange behavior of Rox (new to me anyway). Doubleclicking a music track in pFind is supposed to play it in pMusic
Ok, got that one, quotes will be around the call now

exec /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun "${@#*file://}"
zigbert wrote:No music for me - No video work at youtube. I'll take a look later and report back. (in 5.3.3 now).
Hmmm.. may be the lack of decent video driver? While I really would like to keep this kernel I think I'll ditch it. I haven't time to compile all the video drivers and upload as well as other 3rd party drivers. I have to update a few apps too. At least for the other kernels all the drivers exist and are known working.
billtoo wrote:While playing Kpatience in jwm the window reacts everytime I click on a card, jumps a little, I haven't seen that before.
I'll report that to Joe, I see similar when starting browsers and other slow apps to start, but for a game it's not really acceptable. I think this crept in with the compositing fix in JWM.
billtoo wrote:Also, when the cursor is over the corner of a window in jwm it changes shape to a square
Yes, that's intentional, see the jwm changelog.
Jades wrote:Pidgin from PPM hasn't created a menu icon but can be run from the console.
icon=entry you mean? Same as zigbert's issue.

I will roll back to old fixmenus.. but why on earth is it so slow? Of course it runs icewm script even if icewm is not installed. This should be fixed. Anyone want to fix it? Either that or I'll remove /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.icewm_menu and make an icewm package with it included. Should halve the time it takes to run fixmenus.

01micko

#25 Post by 01micko »

If flashplayer woes continue we'll try a firefox (with sylpheed) iso next. We lose some neat features of Opera (has a cool dev mode) but there are a couple of useful wysiwyg html editors in PPM, bluegriffon and kompozer. It adds a bout 4M to the iso, but seamonkey adds about 7M and for what? A useless html editor! Have you ever seen the code Composer generates? Yuk! Actually I have been using chrome/chromium a lot lately but that's out of the question at 50M !!! :shock: It has some great plugins like remote desktop, I can run my full puppy desktop over the network with no lag, surely would lag on AU internet though!! It's extremely slow here compared to US/EU.

zigbert

#26 Post by zigbert »

Just for the record.... Rox shows the svg correctly

zigbert

#27 Post by zigbert »

Mick
I have no issues with Flash and Opera in Slacko 5.3.3 - it might be the graphic driver.

Sigmund

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

Sigmund,

I'll try to recompile inklite, it was compiled against 13.37 libs so maybe that will fix it.. if not I don't know what! There is no other light replacement, does your svg open in SFR's bdraw?

majorfoo

Slacko 5.4.1 Beta

#29 Post by majorfoo »

Full install to ext4 partition.

Boots to desktop and auto connects to internet

Added several pkgs - everything looks good
Attachments
capture27647.png
(187.17 KiB) Downloaded 793 times

SFR

#30 Post by SFR »

RE: InkscapeLite
01micko wrote:[...]does your svg open in SFR's bdraw?
It's unlikely that BDraw will open an ordinary .svg file, unless its (.svg) internal structure is 'one_object per one_line'.
Svg can be imported through "Import Clipart", however it'll be converted to .png+base64 before that.

But InkscapeLite definitely has some problems, eg.:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
    xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    <rect x="50" y="50" height="110" width="110"
          style="stroke:#ff0000; fill: #ccccff"
          transform="translate(50) rotate(45 50 50)">
    </rect>    
</svg>
will display:
- in ROX/Viewnior = a square, rotated 45 deg.
- in Inkscape Lite = just a square, not rotated

<svg width="32" height="32" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
  <line x1="16" y1="16" x2="16" y2="16" stroke="rgb(0,0,0)" stroke-linecap="round" stroke-width="15" />
</svg>
will display:
- in ROX/Viewnior = bold dot
- in Inkscape Lite = bold line from given coordinates upwards

Or maybe it's because of "Lite"..? :?

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

tlchost

getlibre is broken

#31 Post by tlchost »

get libreoffice is now broken with bootable usb drive...tells me it does not support DVD or low ram installs....works fine in the non-beta versions of Slacko.

Note: This problem cropped up with the upgrade pet for the ppm that was pulled because it was defective.

Video, sound, internet, 16 gigs of memory and 2 tb drive all show up and work as they should.

Thom

Billtoo

Slacko 5.4.1 Beta

#32 Post by Billtoo »

I moved my 8gb flash drive install over to my acer desktop pc, it went
straight to the desktop using the nouveau driver.
I downloaded the latest proprietary nvidia driver and after removing
the nouveau driver I compiled that:

video-info-glx1.5.1 Mon 4 Feb 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.4.0.2 Linux3.4.28-PAE i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller:nVidia CorporationG84[GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 2880x900 pixels (746x231 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.09

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @1603 1: @1603 2: @1603 3: @1603 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/video-info-glx'.

This pc also has a Hauppauge pvr card in it.
That was fairly easy :)
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(48.72 KiB) Downloaded 1288 times

JustGreg

#33 Post by JustGreg »

I burned the ISO to a CDROM and tried it.

On my Acer Aspire Rev R1600. It work fine, booted directly into the desktop without a hitch. The correct driver was selected for Nvidia card.

On my ASUS EeePC model 1201 HAB, it was a different story. The xorg server failed to be configured correctly. I had to do a manual setup using xorgwizard after the failure to the console. I selected "modeselect" driver and the standard 1368 by 768 by 16 graphics mode. I did not test the configuration, but, finished. The xwin command started the xorg server started correctly. I did have the block cursor. After going through the start screens for time, keyboard and internet, zcedar script was shown and hitting enter corrected the mouse cursor to the normal pointer. A restart after creation of a save file showed no problems.

The only problem area is the start screens that are shown before the start of zcedar.sh script. One has to know the upper left hand corner of the box cursor is the same as the tip of arrow pointer to select items. Without this knowledge, it is confusing on how to select items in the two startup configuration windows.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Sage

#34 Post by Sage »

If flashplayer woes continue
Not worth abandoning Opera because the user has problems selecting the correct FP version! Trial & error always works. It's not video card/driver specific - it's the cr*p Adobe company. Yet another Yank $$$ syndrome!

01micko

Re: getlibre is broken

#35 Post by 01micko »

tlchost wrote:get libreoffice is now broken with bootable usb drive...tells me it does not support DVD or low ram installs....works fine in the non-beta versions of Slacko.
This is strange, but I guess there is some conflict. I'll resolve it soon because I want the program ready for when libreoffice-4.0 is released some time soon, perhaps very soon. Currently it does download (4.0-rc) but it is slightly broken, PLUS, they have in their infinite wisdom added dependency on gconf (heaven knows why), a bloated crappy gnome library that does nothing more than sort out some configuration files.. :? I'll have to throw in a warning to grab that package from PPM and install it.
JustGreg wrote:On my ASUS EeePC model 1201 HAB, it was a different story. The xorg server failed to be configured correctly. I had to do a manual setup using xorgwizard after the failure to the console. I selected "modeselect" driver and the standard 1368 by 768 by 16 graphics mode. I did not test the configuration, but, finished. The xwin command started the xorg server started correctly. I did have the block cursor. After going through the start screens for time, keyboard and internet, zcedar script was shown and hitting enter corrected the mouse cursor to the normal pointer. A restart after creation of a save file showed no problems.
It may be my bad there as I had 24 colors set in the xorg.conf-poulsbo template. We'll try it once more in the next beta and see if we can't get X starting without xorgwizard and if it fails then we'll add a note to the "official" known issues. Thankfully, intel has dropped production of laptops with those fickle chipsets, which may be bad luck for you and thousands of others as they receive less attention from developers. Alan Cox is the main guy who has done most of the work on this issue (A,C is a recently "retired" kernel dev, intel, red hat employee and X.org dev.)
JustGreg wrote:The only problem area is the start screens that are shown before the start of zcedar.sh script. One has to know the upper left hand corner of the box cursor is the same as the tip of arrow pointer to select items. Without this knowledge, it is confusing on how to select items in the two startup configuration windows.
I'll shift zcedar.sh up the pecking order, actually to /usr/sbin and call it from /usr/sbin/delayedrun before any of the other timezone/keyboard/locale gui's.
Sage wrote:Not worth abandoning Opera because the user has problems selecting the correct FP version! Trial & error always works. It's not video card/driver specific - it's the cr*p Adobe company. Yet another Yank $$$ syndrome!
Hopefully ziggy's issue is isolated and only related to his graphics driver. As said, I'll likely use the slightly older kernel from 5.4 for the next beta and hope it doesn't break JustGreg's above situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check this out.. <-- http://code.google.com/p/svg-edit/

It's an svg plug-in for most popular browsers. I don't even know how to install it but you can unzip it in a dir and run the index.html file. Pretty cool. Probably if it's installed in the browser and correct mime added to the browser it could be made to open svg files by clicking. It's less than 1 M.
Attachments
capture31006.jpg
(30.88 KiB) Downloaded 1219 times