XFCE/LXDE/MATE Desktops for ArchPup 13.2/13.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rg66

Re: Archpupy 13.2

#31 Post by rg66 »

rameshiyer wrote:While booting Arch Puppy XFCE Desktop, I am getting below mentioned error message on by one.

1. Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages.
2. The wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly until it is restarted.
Stifiling, I'm getting the same errors. This is my 3rd save file now with them, they show up after the second reboot. I have to delete /var/run/wicd/wicp.pid and restart wicd to get it working again.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rameshiyer

Arch Puppy

#32 Post by rameshiyer »

Stiffing

I would like to inform you that I got working Chromium 25 and Java runtime through SFS loading. Any limitation loading SFS ? Can we load any number of SFS file. Is it possible to make use of open box extras as given link

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1018840966

stifiling

Re: Arch Puppy

#33 Post by stifiling »

rameshiyer wrote:Stiffing

I would like to inform you that I got working Chromium 25 and Java runtime through SFS loading. Any limitation loading SFS ? Can we load any number of SFS file. Is it possible to make use of open box extras as given link

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1018840966
you have java working in chromium? which java and chromium sfs files are you using?

archpup i believe supports up to 24 sfs files.

did you get the Mobile 3g modem working the way u want?

as far as the openbox extras go, no reason why they shouldn't work. they're in .pet format though. mavrothal wrote a script to install .pets in archpup. although the openbox extras aren't specifically written for ArchPup, you could 'make' them work, the way you want them to work, with determination.

rameshiyer

#34 Post by rameshiyer »

Stiffing

you have java working in chromium? which java and chromium sfs files are you using?

Yes. Perfectly. ( jre-1.7.0.07.sfs. ). About 3G modem, so far no result. I will try tomorrow morning and let you know the status.

mavrothal wrote a script to install .pets in archpup

I tested the script. showing error. I will explore possibility to convert pet to sfs. I have seen some package for converting pet to sfs.

Thank you for extending your support.

stifiling

#35 Post by stifiling »

you can also do numerous apps in one sfs....rather than having 30 lil sfs files....you can pack them all in one.

rg66

#36 Post by rg66 »

Using the updated xfce sfs, looks good.

I'm still getting the crashing from auto hide panel, sometimes even after running xfwm4 --replace. I've tested it about 4 or 5 times now.

A few other small issues but not so important, firefox is under network instead of internet and mplayer still has a menu entry.

I will do a save file and see if there are any wcid issues.

Edit: Still getting the crashing even after savefile but wicd/dbus seems to be fixed
I didn't see an md5sum for the new sfs
also, is it possible for you to do delta files as well so people don't have to dl the full sfs evertime?

stifiling

#37 Post by stifiling »

rg66 wrote:Using the updated xfce sfs, looks good.

I'm still getting the crashing from auto hide panel, sometimes even after running xfwm4 --replace. I've tested it about 4 or 5 times now.
i have two archpup_132.sfs files. the one using the original 3.4 kernel, this doesn't happen on. but the one using retroprecise's 3.2.32 kernel, it does. it's the same behavior even if not using the sfs. installing xfce by 'pacman -S xfce4' produces the same behavior. not sure what to make of that but it's appearing as though the 'concrete' fix, is beyond my reach.

what video driver does your machine use?
rg66 wrote:A few other small issues but not so important, firefox is under network instead of internet and mplayer still has a menu entry.
i think i'll just do away with the 'Internet' submenu and let everything fall under Network. I like the Internet submenu, but the web browsers when installed from pacman are showing under both Internet and Network. the firefox.desktop file from archapps.sfs must have been edited in some way by simargl to only show under Network. same with mplayer.desktop, it's in the archapps.sfs and should be squashed out.
rg66 wrote: I didn't see an md5sum for the new sfs
also, is it possible for you to do delta files as well so people don't have to dl the full sfs evertime?
i'll add the md5sum now. delta files, new to me. i'll have to read up on them, and see exactly how to use them.

Marv

menu locations

#38 Post by Marv »

stifiling wrote:
i think i'll just do away with the 'Internet' submenu and let everything fall under Network. I like the Internet submenu, but the web browsers when installed from pacman are showing under both Internet and Network. the firefox.desktop file from archapps.sfs must have been edited in some way by simargl to only show under Network. same with mplayer.desktop, it's in the archapps.sfs and should be squashed out.
I can't run Archpup as I gifted my only PAE machine but editing the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications to change the Categories= line allows quite a bit of placement flexibility in xfce4.10 in 'lina. For example, the line in my opera.desktop is : Categories=WebBrowser; That puts the opera menu entry under internet only.

Cheers
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

stifiling

Re: menu locations

#39 Post by stifiling »

Marv wrote:I can't run Archpup as I gifted my only PAE machine but editing the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications to change the Categories= line allows quite a bit of placement flexibility in xfce4.10 in 'lina. For example, the line in my opera.desktop is : Categories=WebBrowser; That puts the opera menu entry under internet only.

Cheers
yes u are right. you can have the app names listed in any submenu u want by editing the /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files. that can wind up being a headache though. every new browser you install, or upgrade...you'd have to go manually edit the .desktop file again.

but if you want to use archpup with a different kernel, you absolutely can. you can switch to a non-pae kernel by using this method. a lot of steps, but nothing too hard. Although it's 15 steps, the payoff is worth it.

if you decide to try it on archpup 13.2.....at step 10.5, create folders 'pup_a' and 'pup_y'.

rg66

#40 Post by rg66 »

stifiling wrote: i have two archpup_132.sfs files. the one using the original 3.4 kernel, this doesn't happen on. but the one using retroprecise's 3.2.32 kernel, it does. it's the same behavior even if not using the sfs. installing xfce by 'pacman -S xfce4' produces the same behavior. not sure what to make of that but it's appearing as though the 'concrete' fix, is beyond my reach.

what video driver does your machine use?
lsmod shows nvidiafb. With the other sfs this issue could be fixed with xfwm4 --replace. What did you change exactly? I've never seen this choose panel thing before, I'm trying to see what file it changes and if I can get it to load a predefined panel like Saluki/Carolina etc....
stifiling wrote: i think i'll just do away with the 'Internet' submenu and let everything fall under Network. I like the Internet submenu, but the web browsers when installed from pacman are showing under both Internet and Network. the firefox.desktop file from archapps.sfs must have been edited in some way by simargl to only show under Network. same with mplayer.desktop, it's in the archapps.sfs and should be squashed out.
Ok it's an Arch issue, not a prob. I'm used to editing .desktop files.

simargl8

#41 Post by simargl8 »

Almost missed that problem with firefox.desktop. So please, If there are problems
with files from archapps.sfs report them on Standard ArchPup 13.2.1 topic not xfce related one.

Currently firefox has Categories=Application;Network;
it's listed under Internet in the Openbox menu.

Change it to Categories=Application;WebBrowser, and it moves to Other
Try with Categories=Application;Internet again it moves to category Other
WTF :evil:

Later:
Ok, think I've found it
Test this in XFCE:
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;

rg66

Edit SFS

#42 Post by rg66 »

Here's EDIT SFS gz or xz compression for Archpup XFCE, Thunar right click menu. Since I apparently suck at making Arch packages, just extract the files and put editsfs in /usr/bin, uca.xml in /root/.config/Thunar and squasefs-image in /usr/share/pixmaps then restart Thunar.

Normally it would use a pinstall for everything but since there isn't a uca.xml by default it won't work untill you make a custom action and a uca.xml is created.

Edit: It's not rebuilding the sfs so I've taken it down until I can sort it out
Last edited by rg66 on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 09:48, edited 3 times in total.

simargl8

#43 Post by simargl8 »

I'm now running XFCe

Setting firefox.desktop to
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
makes it show under both> Internet and Network

I'm not going to change anything, if you have some ideas let me know.

stif, will you add some different text editor, or should I move geany to arch apps
... or maybe It's good as is currently

stifiling

#44 Post by stifiling »

to tell u the truth sim, i'd like to see geany in archapps, and we keep the desktop.sfs files free of any text editor. because the users can be so particular about them.

i'd say the same for the network manager. i'd like to remove wicd/pwireless2 from the desktop environments...and have a universal one included in archapps.

and even though the Internet submenu looks kinda good in the list, it's not flowing well with the complete layout. So i'm going to edit it out of the applications.menu. the app names should then continue to fall under only 'Network'.

simargl8

#45 Post by simargl8 »

Just remembered that openbox version needs geany for displaying help file, plus there's geany launcher
in tint2 panel. I must have it in adrv_openbox or bellow sfs, so decision is that geany moves to archpup sfs.
For users with openbox WM, it doesn't make difference but this way geany will be available for all the others...

stifiling

#46 Post by stifiling »

simargl8 wrote:Just remembered that openbox version needs geany for displaying help file, plus there's geany launcher
in tint2 panel. I must have it in adrv_openbox or bellow sfs, so decision is that geany moves to archpup sfs.
For users with openbox WM, it doesn't make difference but this way geany will be available for all the others...
ouch!...moving it into the archpup.sfs makes it undeletable...only hideable. if geany is in the main.sfs.....that kills the 'BareBones' solution. Now if mousepad, or leafpad is really my favorite, and i happen to hate geany...i have to 'pretend' like geany isn't still there. There's got to be another way.

i could just put mousepad, which is xfce's default text editor, in the xfce.sfs. and geany in the openbox, and kwrite in kde... that may be the best that it can get. still the ultimate best would be if they are able to choose which editor, for any of the desktops.

there's also a few themes in the main.sfs, as well as the wallpaper, and the login sound.

i think you should keep the base, just as clean as a whistle.

simargl8

#47 Post by simargl8 »

You are right with goal of keeping base as clean as possible
I have reverted geany changes, it stays in adrv_openbox

And yes there are some themes in main sfs file
Archpup is default theme for gtk3, gtk2 and openbox
It is there as fallback because standard Clearlooks doesn't support gtk3

Archpup actually contains different themes (see readme file), but with my little modifications :wink:

stifiling

#48 Post by stifiling »

rg66 wrote:lsmod shows nvidiafb. With the other sfs this issue could be fixed with xfwm4 --replace. What did you change exactly? I've never seen this choose panel thing before, I'm trying to see what file it changes and if I can get it to load a predefined panel like Saluki/Carolina etc....
does lsmod show nvidiafb on carolina? i'm thinking that has something to do with it. on my computer i'm also seeing an nvidiafb, as well as rivafb. on archpup12.12...rivafb is in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.....in 13.2, the blacklist.conf file is empty. and manually editing it, saving the changes, and rebooting.....the changes vanishes. the file is completely again.

And i really...i didn't change anything. i was getting the crash with the first sfs, but not the second...so thought maybe the resquashing fixed it. that question about the panels on startup is not a script or anything that i wrote separately. it's coded somewhere in xfce. it pops up automatically when the folder /root/.config/xfce4...doesn't exist. i'm thinking if you were to do a pfix=ram, on carolina...and delete that folder, restart X....you'll see the popup. i tried downgrading the panel to 4.8...same issue....downgrade to 4.6...issue disappears. 4.8 would've been acceptable had it worked. 4.6 though is so dated and old school looking that it's totally out the question.

rameshiyer

Archpupy 13.2

#49 Post by rameshiyer »

I tried to install Bluetooth. However, lot of dependency problem. Please provide Bluetooth.SFS file. I don't have required knowledge in this regard. Hence my request. We can make use of Bluetooth when need arise.

I have not find any email client in Arch puppy ?

rg66

#50 Post by rg66 »

In Carolina it loads vesa and I change it to nouveau. But in my save file I installed the nvidia driver.
After some more testing and a hundred reboots, if you open xfce terminal auto hide works until the terminal is closed! Strange.

As for the question of having a text editor, YES PLEASE. It's a real pain testing and having to install one every time.

Edit:
I took out the nvidia card and am using the onboard intel graphics and problem solved, but I don't have this issue on Carolina with xfce 4.10 and nvidia card.