Is there a way to slow down my system?

Booting, installing, newbie
wimpy

Is there a way to slow down my system?

#1 Post by wimpy »

This is a bit of an unusual request. I run a fairly old amd system at a speed which I consider adequate. There are times when I would like to slow down the system so that I can see what is going on eg videos, games etc Is there any background program that can be used (preferably one with a speed adjustment) which would slow things down.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

L18L

Re: Is there a way to slow down my system

#2 Post by L18L »

wimpy wrote:... any background program that can be used (preferably one with a speed adjustment) which would slow things down.
You could try console utility htop changing PrIority of some tasks ( F7, F8 )

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Presumably you'd rather not slow down everything, but rather just the game or video you're interested in.

wimpy

#4 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for the replies.
@Flash It does not really matter since at the time I'm not actively multitasking. No doubt widgets, such as the clock, may be affected but I could always reboot afterwards.
@L18L I tried htop, but even with the lowest priority (nice set to 19) it seemed to make no difference. I tried to run a flv video in the background at the same time during the test, but that too made no difference. I'm testing by running autoplay in the solitaire game Seahaven Towers. I was hoping to slow up the play of the cards so that I could see how a solution is reached. It may be that autoplay doesn't actually run through a solution, but I will only know if I can get it to slow down.

Barkin

#5 Post by Barkin »

It's not an interactive real-time solution, but you could do a desktop recording and analyse the video in slow-motion, frame by frame.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

You're not trying to figure out how to cheat at solitaire? :lol:

wimpy

#7 Post by wimpy »

Flash wrote:You're not trying to figure out how to cheat at solitaire? :lol:
No!. Figured that out long ago. :) The statistics file is a text file easily altered in geany. However, I would like to see how the solvable ones, that I give up on, are solved.