Lucid Puppy no longer auto connects

Booting, installing, newbie
Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

You could probably tinker around with the time value: dhcpcd -t 30.. I'd drop down to ten even..

tytower

#17 Post by tytower »

I've got to take that back. As it loaded it gave messages about" making file system useable......failed" a few times but eventually set up the xwindow fine . It created some problems for me in that I lost the retrovol icon in the tray and lost sound.

When I closed down I got these messages too and on reboot it insisted on checking the hard drive and the save file so file errors must have been present each time . It did that consistently.

I tried making a script with those lines in it in "Start" but this did not connect properly , so I'm back to where I was. At least though I have some clues as to how this must be done.

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

Refresh my memory.. your savefile's an extension what?

If two- you might've had corruption.

With three? I doubt it..

Paul Earland

#19 Post by Paul Earland »

Hello. Did another download of Lucid onto a formated USB drive. Then used Frisbee for my network connection. Very impressed with Frisbee it was certainly the easiest and fastest way to connect that I have used. Worked without problem for first couple of times I used it. Now problem with wireless has again returned. When I log into Lucid all wireless networks have been lost, mine and all my neighbours that I can normally see!. Paul

Paul Earland

#20 Post by Paul Earland »

Hello. I am using a Dell Inspiron 1545. One of my keyboard keys switches my wireless card On and Off. What would appear to be happening under my Lucid start up is that somehow that is also switching off my my wireless card, so that I am left with no wireless connectivity. If I should do a restart of my computer (not turning it off) and remove my USB before it re connects I go back into windows 7. Checking my wireless connectivity I find that again I have lost it all and there is no way to connect to it unless I turn the computer off, remove power cable and restart it. The problem is also, according to doing a google, is that the connection key for wireless under windows does not work for Linux. It would also appear to be a not uncommon problem. Paul

tytower

#21 Post by tytower »

Yes 2 Semme -I had it backed up so copied it back to fix it.will try again when I feel courageous

Paul I too use a Dell but Desktop Optiplex 740 and 745 - I bought 6 of them for less than $100 each Malaysian I think .

Do you know which key is responsible? I too have a lot of wierd keys but I tried them all without effect
However I have no knowledge of Windows or Keyboard keys so I must bow out and wish you the best luck sorting it. See u along the way I hope.

Paul Earland

#22 Post by Paul Earland »

Hello. On my computer the key that swiches the wireless mode On and Off is the F2 button, although you dont have to use the function (Fn) key to use it. Has a little picture on the key, which I believe is of an Aerial mast, if you use a bit of immagination! This only works under Windows. I think to use under Linux, you need to input another (or more than) key with the Wireless key to use it. Paul

Semme

#23 Post by Semme »

I'll bet this happens because Pup's confused, not as you say. Someone *might* need blacklisting..

If you had taken the time to go through that earlier link I left, you'd be determining this yourself.
One of my keyboard keys switches my wireless card On and Off. What would appear to be happening under my Lucid start up is that somehow that is also switching off my my wireless card, so that I am left with no wireless connectivity.

Paul Earland

#24 Post by Paul Earland »

Thanks all for trying to help. Might have to give up on Puppy for the time being. Might try again when and if any new downloads become availlable for Lucid. Dont ask for much, just want a stable wireless/internet connection to look at my emails and check Google out, the ability to write a letter and print it out and the ability to download photos and print them out. Thats about it. Thats why i was coming back to Linux, Windows just has too many options and takes too long to start up each day! Paul