[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
scsijon

#226 Post by scsijon »

SFR wrote:Hi Scsijon
As for the main problem (maximized/fullscreen windows on external screen) it doesn't seem to be related to SDL at all (eg. YT [Flash/HTML5] doesn't make use of it, I believe?).
Like I said in the other thread I don't use/own an external monitor, however I just recalled that 1.5-2 years ago when I set up Slacko-5.3.3 (JWM s578) on my mate's laptop and we were trying to get the display on his TV, the resolution was ok, but we wasn't able to force Gnome-Mplayer's window to fill the entire screen.
I think the occupied area was equal or close to the laptop's native resolution...

Greetings!
AH! that problem!

It will always default to the video devices internal native resolution unless it's set by the kernel or you tell puppy that you want another.

The setting is in the Puppy startup command by adding something like

puppy video=800x600 (or 1024x768, etc....)

alternately you can use the hex codes for linexcolumn.

puppy video=0xnnn

But it's only what ever you have available in the video chips set (not the full drivers set) which is usually smaller.

However if the kernel has been configured internally with a fixed size your stuck with what has been decided in the kernel.

sorry
scsijon

SFR

#227 Post by SFR »

Thanks Scsijon, I'll keep that in mind for the future. 8)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Argolance

#228 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Thank you guys for replying! :D
Sorry not to have answered earlier but I was not at home for more than a month. Though I was not in my "environment", I had all the time to think about... :wink:
joewing wrote:When you mention extra configuration, are you changing the JWM configuration file and restarting JWM?
So it is what I did...
But I made my decision to stand up for adapting my scripts to the new JWM behaviors, finally found something which gives the same result and much more simple: so, all's well that ends well!
JWM now makes maximized windows take up the full screen. It used to leave the borders, which would allow you to click behind the window despite it being fullscreen.
[EDIT1] I noticed maximized windows corners are now squared. In previous versions of JWM, rounded corners of maximized windows let user activate any Rox panel behind easily while dragging mouse cursor right or left, up or down maximized windows corners using free space, shown as red on the picture below.

Now, unable to "touch" anything!

Thank you for your attention and your so nice job!

[EDIT2]
SFR (Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 am about background) wrote:No probs here, either - see screenie.

Greetings!
I guess it works perfectly running Slacko!
I found time to test it running Puppy Precise 5.7.1: it doesn't work. So this is not specific to ToOpPy, based on Puppy Precise 5.4.3... Problem is somewhere else!

Cordialement.
Attachments
140425_190956_66x49_easyshot.png
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 2103 times

David Andrew

#229 Post by David Andrew »

Hello, can anyone advice me on how to get this working on Puppy Precise 7.1? I've tried to install all versions posted here without success:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93438

Jasper

#230 Post by Jasper »

Hi David,

There is Precise v 5.7.1 (if that is what you meant to type) and I have just updated my Precise 5.7.1 from jwm v 896 to jwm v 910 using the pet from page 1 of this thread and all is well.

Perhaps, if you have doubts, make a back up, then
after installing jwm2-910-w5c. pet restart X and type in your terminal:

Code: Select all

jwm -v
to check your version No is updated to 910.

My regards

You could also try the latest jwm pet (currently test v 913) using the appropriate devx (from BarryK if Precise) and src2pkg (from amigo) to make your own pet.

David Andrew

#231 Post by David Andrew »

Jasper wrote:Hi David,

There is Precise v 5.7.1 (if that is what you meant to type) and I have just updated my Precise 5.7.1 from jwm v 896 to jwm v 910 using the pet from page 1 of this thread and all is well.

Perhaps, if you have doubts, make a back up, then
after installing jwm2-910-w5c. pet restart X and type in your terminal:

jwm -v
to check your version No is updated to 910.

My regards

You could also try the latest jwm pet (currently test v 913) using the appropriate devx (from BarryK if Precise) and src2pkg (from amigo) to make your own pet.
Yeah, Precise 5.7.1.

Terminal registers it as vgit-819, despite having the 910 pet from here installed (and restarting X)

I'll give the other suggestion a try anyway. Thanks.

Argolance

#232 Post by Argolance »

Hello David Andrew,
Don't you have 2 jwm files: one inside /usr/bin/ and another inside /usr/local/bin?
Puppy has usually its jwm file inside /usr/bin...

Cordialement.

OscarTalks

#233 Post by OscarTalks »

I have uploaded a build of JWM-913
Compiled in Wary so should be fine in most recent 32 bit Puppies including Precise 5.7.1

There is also version 871 which I have found to be OK. With some shortly after this I started seeing a problem with the tray icons, but I think that got fixed again later.

Regarding JWMconfig
JWMconfig 3 will only work in recent Woof-CE Puppies so will not work in Precise 5.7.1

I believe the latest BarryK variant of JWMconfig 2 is already in Precise 5.7.1
There are some other slightly later versions of JWMconfig 2 available, but they are designed for Slacko so would change the appearance of a few things.

Download from:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Always take the usual precautions when installing anything.
You must restart X server after installing JWM for the change to take effect.
Oscar in England

David Andrew

#234 Post by David Andrew »

OscarTalks wrote:I have uploaded a build of JWM-913
Compiled in Wary so should be fine in most recent 32 bit Puppies including Precise 5.7.1

There is also version 871 which I have found to be OK. With some shortly after this I started seeing a problem with the tray icons, but I think that got fixed again later.

Regarding JWMconfig
JWMconfig 3 will only work in recent Woof-CE Puppies so will not work in Precise 5.7.1

I believe the latest BarryK variant of JWMconfig 2 is already in Precise 5.7.1
There are some other slightly later versions of JWMconfig 2 available, but they are designed for Slacko so would change the appearance of a few things.

Download from:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Always take the usual precautions when installing anything.
You must restart X server after installing JWM for the change to take effect.
Thanks, this one registered as the latest version in the terminal, but I'm still not getting the options for the new XP / Mac / UNIX-ish buttons. I'm assuming they are only available in JWMconfig 3.

OscarTalks

#235 Post by OscarTalks »

Upgrading the JWM package alone will not give you those extra window buttons. What you could do though I reckon is to take the button icon sets from Slacko 5.7 along with the switcher script, add in a couple of other bits and pieces to create a separate menu entry in the Desktop category which will launch the switcher GUI. I made a .pet which will do that.

Did a bit of testing and it seems to work, but as always:-

Take precautions (backups or whatever) before installing stuff or making changes to your system.
Attachments
buttons-menu.jpg
Window button changer is launched via a new MENU entry (not from within JWMconfig)
(103.27 KiB) Downloaded 2148 times
buttons-gui.jpg
Window button changer GUI with XP-ish already selected
(65.24 KiB) Downloaded 2179 times
jwmbuttons-0.1.pet
Add JWM Button Changer as a MENU item
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
Oscar in England

David Andrew

#236 Post by David Andrew »

OscarTalks wrote:Upgrading the JWM package alone will not give you those extra window buttons. What you could do though I reckon is to take the button icon sets from Slacko 5.7 along with the switcher script, add in a couple of other bits and pieces to create a separate menu entry in the Desktop category which will launch the switcher GUI. I made a .pet which will do that.

Did a bit of testing and it seems to work, but as always:-

Take precautions (backups or whatever) before installing stuff or making changes to your system.
That .pet seems to work fine, many thanks. I'll be creating some themes that match the new buttons that I'll share in the JWM thread. Here's an XP theme I've had in mind (poor quality .jpeg):

Is it possible to manually create additional buttons?

redandwhitestripes

#237 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Please,please, please

What's the simplest way to permanently disable the shading option?

Did a search, could only find a workaround relating to an older version and installation of two config pets that did not work for me at the time :-(

Many thanks

oldyeller

#238 Post by oldyeller »

How can I get a window to stay on all desktops? I know about groups but not on setting them up for anything like this.

Is there a way in jwm to have the window not be able to close. even though in gtkdailog it is set to have decorated="true"?

666philb

#239 Post by 666philb »

hi oldyeller

right click on title bar and choose stick
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#240 Post by 666philb »

i've been trying the latest jwm-976 and it fixes a bug that's been annoying me for ages. when watching a film in ful screen i used to get tiny white pixels in the corners of the screen. i think this commit fixes that

commit 16364dbfe8198815a7b3b3c2c9c3a21b1660cfc7
Author: Joe Wingbermuehle <joewing@joewing.net>
Date:   Fri Sep 5 13:52:04 2014 -0500

Don't use rounded borders for fullscreen windows.

M	src/border.c
however with the latest jwm, menu & taskbar items don't have an outline (see picture below) does anyone know the setting for this?

thanks
Attachments
older_jwm.png
older jwm
(44.97 KiB) Downloaded 1308 times
newr_jwm-1.png
new jwm
(57.6 KiB) Downloaded 1338 times
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

greengeek

#241 Post by greengeek »

666philb wrote:i've been trying the latest jwm-976 and it fixes a bug that's been annoying me for ages.
Where is the best source to get the newest jwm please? Is there a thread in this forum for 'approved' versions or do you get it straight from another website and apply it to puppy directly?

666philb

#242 Post by 666philb »

hi greengeek,

for tahrpup i got the latest from github https://github.com/joewing/jwm (this has borders on the menu and taskbar)

there wasn't any build scripts in the downloaded tar.gz so i also got the snapshot from here http://www.joewing.net/projects/jwm/ (this has no borders but has the build scripts)

and combined them using the build scripts from the snapshot to build the latest from github
Last edited by 666philb on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

anikin

#243 Post by anikin »

greengeek,

Compiling jwm is really easy, just follow this howto by scsijon:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 046#692046

Colonel Panic

#244 Post by Colonel Panic »

anikin wrote:greengeek,

Compiling jwm is really easy, just follow this howto by scsijon:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 046#692046
No disrespect intended to Jon who's obviously put a lot of work into this; but for newbies to software compiling, I think that needs to be simplified a lot. I'd suggest using a terminal such as urxvt which accepts copying and pasting from the clipboard, and then copying the instructions line by line onto the clipboard, and then pasting each one onto the terminal before executing each line.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Jasper

#245 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Using Precise 5.6 I have just updated "my" jwm version from 976 to 1002 (via a pet made with amigo's src2pkg).

For the first time on a jwm version update some window colours have changed. So, hardly a disaster, but I wonder if this has happened to any other Forum member(s)?

My regards

I have the same results whether I first delete my jwm v 976 pet or if I install the update on top of v 976.