[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
joewing

#211 Post by joewing »

Argolance:

Backgrounds seem to be working fine for me; did png support not get compiled in perhaps?

- Joe

Argolance

#212 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Thanks for replying.

Code: Select all

# jwm -v
JWM vgit-901 by Joe Wingbermuehle
compiled options: confirm fribidi icons jpeg nls png shape svg xbm xft xinerama xpm xrender 
:oops:
What is wrong?
Trying to find... :?

Cordialement.

SFR

#213 Post by SFR »

No probs here, either - see screenie.

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(144.32 KiB) Downloaded 1277 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Argolance

#214 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
This is my configuration file, called /root/.jwm/jwmrc-logout and punctually included inside jwmrc.personal this way:

<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-logout</Include>
Here is the jwm configuration file contents:

<JWM>

<Desktops width="1" height="1">
<Background type="gradient">#3c3c3c:#414141</Background>
</Desktops>
<WindowStyle>
	<Inactive>
		<Text>red</Text>
		<Outline>red</Outline>
	</Inactive>
</WindowStyle>
<TaskListStyle>
<Foreground>red</Foreground>
</TaskListStyle>

</JWM>
When user closes his session, titles and outlines of currently (if exist) running applications windows become red and are gathered inside a single virtual desktop (instead of 4 virtual desktops under normal circumstances). Desktop becomes blank (gradient color). This to prevent him from loosing data. User can then "Continue" or "Cancel".
What is strange is that I get windows colors (red), a single vitual desktop but not the gradient background!
This worked fine with jwm 576 release.

Any idea?

Cordialement.

Argolance

#215 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
So, I compiled jwm 905 with debug enabled and this is what I get:

DEBUG: main.c[113]: debug mode started
DEBUG: Unknown event type: 33
DEBUG: main.c[234]: debug mode stopped
DEBUG: MEMORY: no memory leaks
DEBUG: ClientMessage to unknown window (0x6000aa): _NET_WM_STATE
DEBUG: Unknown event type: 34
DEBUG: XError: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
DEBUG:    Request Code: 42 (X_SetInputFocus)
DEBUG:    Minor Code: 0
DEBUG:    Resource ID: 0x2800003
DEBUG:    Error Serial: 55984
DEBUG: CHECKPOINT LIST (oldest)
DEBUG:    event.c[110]
DEBUG:    event.c[125]
DEBUG:    grab.c[19]
DEBUG:    grab.c[20]
DEBUG: END OF CHECKPOINT LIST (most recent)
DEBUG: XError: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
DEBUG:    Request Code: 25 (X_SendEvent)
DEBUG:    Minor Code: 0
DEBUG:    Resource ID: 0x2800003
DEBUG:    Error Serial: 55985
DEBUG: CHECKPOINT LIST (oldest)
DEBUG:    grab.c[19]
DEBUG:    grab.c[20]
DEBUG: END OF CHECKPOINT LIST (most recent)
:shock:

Cordialement.

joewing

#216 Post by joewing »

Argolance:

I wouldn't worry too much about the debug output from JWM unless there is a lot of it or it happens along with something else. There are some fairly benign things that can cause JWM to report errors (for example, JWM sending a message to a window that has just gone away). I did fix the "Unknown event type" thing though (in snapshot 908).

As far as the background issue, is there another background entry somewhere else in the configuration that might be overriding the background? The way it is currently implemented, the older desktop entry will override the newer entry, which seems backwards to me. So I'm going to change it so newer entries override older entries.

- Joe

Argolance

#217 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
@joewing
:!: I noticed it is not possible (anymore) to activate any ROX panel while dragging the mouse cursor to the up or down corner of the desktop if panel is hidden by a maximized window.
is there another background entry somewhere else in the configuration that might be overriding the background?
To my knowledge, no! The new background is working but is not visible: If I set it to a flashy pink solid color, I see it during a short moment when restarting JWM.
Other thing: If Conky is running and if I remove the desktop background set by Rox, the transparent Conky system monitor window shows the pink background.

In any case something makes a mess in my running application windows that cannot be displayed while clicking on their title in the task bar (as if they were present but hidden) unless I restart JWM again.

Sorry, I don't know if this issue is particular to a personal misconfiguration somewhere or if this may generally happen to someone else in a same but "regular" situation :oops:.
The only thing I can say is that it works fine with JWM 576 with exactly the same configuration...

Question: what is the difference between reload and restart JWM?
Thank you so much!

Cordialement.

joewing

#218 Post by joewing »

Argolance:

JWM now makes maximized windows take up the full screen. It used to leave the borders, which would allow you to click behind the window despite it being fullscreen.

As far as the background thing goes, there have been changes to how JWM handles the background. It should actually play nicer with other programs now. My best guess is that you have some program (perhaps Rox?) that is setting the background. If some other program changes the background after JWM starts, JWM will leave the background alone. JWM should force the background to be redrawn if restarted though. I'll have to play with Rox to see if I can reproduce this behavior.

I'm not sure what you mean by application windows not being displayed.

"jwm -reload" will only reload the menus whereas "jwm -restart" reloads all of the configuration. The "reload" option exists to avoid the "flicker" that occurs with a restart (which can be quite annoy, especially on slower systems).

- Joe

Argolance

#219 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
... Great! :D
I'm not sure what you mean by application windows not being displayed.
About the "mess":
  • For example, I am viewing a picture with my default image viewer. After running the extra jwm configuration file (background desktop color) and back to the normal state, application window disappears (as if it were reduced to the task bar). Then, if I click and click again on the title of any opened (invisible) application inside the task bar, nothing occurs, the application window is not displayed but is duly present because while right clicking on what seems to be the desktop, I get the right click menu of the application itself (and not the usual menu that I get normally when I right click on the desktop).

Sometimes the drop-down menu of some applications, for example "File" (or any other) from Gimp (or any other) is not sensitive, or if I try to use the middle button of the mouse to zoom in or out (default image viewer), it doesn't work.
Hope this can really help and not make you waste your precious time...

Thanks!

Cordialement.

joewing

#220 Post by joewing »

It appears that rox controls the background when displaying icons on the desktop even if you don't have a background set, in which case rox will set the background to a (configurable) solid color. I don't know if there's a way to change that behavior, so I guess the easiest solution is to have rox control the background.
For example, I am viewing a picture with my default image viewer. After running the extra jwm configuration file (background desktop color) and back to the normal state, application window disappears (as if it were reduced to the task bar). Then, if I click and click again on the title of any opened (invisible) application inside the task bar, nothing occurs, the application window is not displayed but is duly present because while right clicking on what seems to be the desktop, I get the right click menu of the application itself (and not the usual menu that I get normally when I right click on the desktop).

Sometimes the drop-down menu of some applications, for example "File" (or any other) from Gimp (or any other) is not sensitive, or if I try to use the middle button of the mouse to zoom in or out (default image viewer), it doesn't work.
When you mention extra configuration, are you changing the JWM configuration file and restarting JWM? If rox is running, I wonder if the application window is somehow getting buried under the desktop window that rox creates. Could you provide a screenshot of what's happening perhaps?

- Joe

dejan555

#221 Post by dejan555 »

joewing wrote:It appears that rox controls the background when displaying icons on the desktop even if you don't have a background set, in which case rox will set the background to a (configurable) solid color. I don't know if there's a way to change that behavior, so I guess the easiest solution is to have rox control the background
This is configured in rox options under "Pinboard" -> Appearance
Argolance, how did you remove the background image? You didn't kill rox desktop? If rox session is still running then it will show this color that is configured in options.

BTW Joe, thanks for jwm and your work on it, I have the git-887 version compiled for my puppy and it's working nicely, also now that there's -reload option without that annoying flickr.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

scsijon

v910 32bit test

#222 Post by scsijon »

I've built Version 910 my way as a 32bit package.

I'm back for a short while (I hope very short like only a month or so) and will get back into puppy things I put on hold as i'm seriously behind on my list.

Please let us know if there are problems with this build via the thread as i've slated it to move to release next month at Easter.

jon
ps Do the 64bit puppy people want a separate 64bit built version?
I'll do that with slacko 5.7 when I get it downloaded and my head around it next week if so.

SFR

Maximized/fullscreen windows on external screen

#223 Post by SFR »

Hi guys

There's a problem with maximized/fullscreen windows on external display, it seems to be confirmed that it's a JWM issue:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=768926
However Precise-5.7.1 has JWM s819, so maybe it's been already fixed..?
Slacko-5.7 has this patched SDL included, the .pet is here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 5-i486.pet

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

scsijon

RE: Maximized/fullscreen windows on external screen

#224 Post by scsijon »

SFR and Joe

as I read it, it's not a JWM problem!

It's either the version of SDL, or total absence of the libsdl, in the puppy version being used.

A wary pet for libsdl is available already for 1.2.14 when needed, and slacko has 1.2.15 for 64bit, maybe the applications concerned just need to have their prerequisites ammended so it's added if not already installed.

As some are using later versions of SDL / libsdl, and downgrading would force errors, the same ocurrs for those using earlier ones with applications built against their version.

It's not included for wary/racy at least so the prerequisite path could be used, I shall fire up my test boxes over the next few days and see which others don't have it by default before I consider it further.

For now, I'm not willing to either link SDL or add it into the JWM pet as a prerequisite as I don't believe it's a JWM problem.

At least for those puppy's that don't have libsdl it should be easy to add it as an application prerequisite, for the others I want to think the problem through.

1-As an after-thought, the error messages out of the application or jwm should be telling you, have a look at /tmp/xerrs.log and see if it says anything. This is rewritten on reboot/restart of X so copy elsewhere if you want to compare them.

2- afterthought 2 sdl needs a reboot/shutdown to be included/removed, a restart doesn't do it properly.

scsijon

SFR

#225 Post by SFR »

Hi Scsijon

I agree that most likely it's more SDL than JWM thing - I just pointed Sc0ttman (and those who may suffer this problem) to a solution that eliminates this problem in later JWM versions.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough...

As for the main problem (maximized/fullscreen windows on external screen) it doesn't seem to be related to SDL at all (eg. YT [Flash/HTML5] doesn't make use of it, I believe?).
Like I said in the other thread I don't use/own an external monitor, however I just recalled that 1.5-2 years ago when I set up Slacko-5.3.3 (JWM s578) on my mate's laptop and we were trying to get the display on his TV, the resolution was ok, but we wasn't able to force Gnome-Mplayer's window to fill the entire screen.
I think the occupied area was equal or close to the laptop's native resolution...

Greetings!

scsijon

#226 Post by scsijon »

SFR wrote:Hi Scsijon
As for the main problem (maximized/fullscreen windows on external screen) it doesn't seem to be related to SDL at all (eg. YT [Flash/HTML5] doesn't make use of it, I believe?).
Like I said in the other thread I don't use/own an external monitor, however I just recalled that 1.5-2 years ago when I set up Slacko-5.3.3 (JWM s578) on my mate's laptop and we were trying to get the display on his TV, the resolution was ok, but we wasn't able to force Gnome-Mplayer's window to fill the entire screen.
I think the occupied area was equal or close to the laptop's native resolution...

Greetings!
AH! that problem!

It will always default to the video devices internal native resolution unless it's set by the kernel or you tell puppy that you want another.

The setting is in the Puppy startup command by adding something like

puppy video=800x600 (or 1024x768, etc....)

alternately you can use the hex codes for linexcolumn.

puppy video=0xnnn

But it's only what ever you have available in the video chips set (not the full drivers set) which is usually smaller.

However if the kernel has been configured internally with a fixed size your stuck with what has been decided in the kernel.

sorry
scsijon

SFR

#227 Post by SFR »

Thanks Scsijon, I'll keep that in mind for the future. 8)

Greetings!

Argolance

#228 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Thank you guys for replying! :D
Sorry not to have answered earlier but I was not at home for more than a month. Though I was not in my "environment", I had all the time to think about... :wink:
joewing wrote:When you mention extra configuration, are you changing the JWM configuration file and restarting JWM?
So it is what I did...
But I made my decision to stand up for adapting my scripts to the new JWM behaviors, finally found something which gives the same result and much more simple: so, all's well that ends well!
JWM now makes maximized windows take up the full screen. It used to leave the borders, which would allow you to click behind the window despite it being fullscreen.
[EDIT1] I noticed maximized windows corners are now squared. In previous versions of JWM, rounded corners of maximized windows let user activate any Rox panel behind easily while dragging mouse cursor right or left, up or down maximized windows corners using free space, shown as red on the picture below.

Now, unable to "touch" anything!

Thank you for your attention and your so nice job!

[EDIT2]
SFR (Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 am about background) wrote:No probs here, either - see screenie.

Greetings!
I guess it works perfectly running Slacko!
I found time to test it running Puppy Precise 5.7.1: it doesn't work. So this is not specific to ToOpPy, based on Puppy Precise 5.4.3... Problem is somewhere else!

Cordialement.
Attachments
140425_190956_66x49_easyshot.png
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 2103 times

David Andrew

#229 Post by David Andrew »

Hello, can anyone advice me on how to get this working on Puppy Precise 7.1? I've tried to install all versions posted here without success:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93438

Jasper

#230 Post by Jasper »

Hi David,

There is Precise v 5.7.1 (if that is what you meant to type) and I have just updated my Precise 5.7.1 from jwm v 896 to jwm v 910 using the pet from page 1 of this thread and all is well.

Perhaps, if you have doubts, make a back up, then
after installing jwm2-910-w5c. pet restart X and type in your terminal:

jwm -v
to check your version No is updated to 910.

My regards

You could also try the latest jwm pet (currently test v 913) using the appropriate devx (from BarryK if Precise) and src2pkg (from amigo) to make your own pet.