[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
L18L

#181 Post by L18L »

anikin wrote:... What does it show, that's not already evident when one looks at the minimized tray?...
It is not always already evident, see my example with 6 apps in the tray, please
:wink:
Attachments
some_apps_in_tray.png
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 1247 times

anikin

#182 Post by anikin »

Hi Jasper et L18L,

I can't disagree with what you guys are saying :)

joewing

#183 Post by joewing »

So it turns out there is a way to change the spacing of components in "Dock". I forgot to put it in the online documentation, but there's a "width" parameter that sets a minimum width for components in the dock. So it should be possible to space out Dock components by setting the width larger than the height of the tray should do the trick for horizontal trays. Other tray components can be spaced out with the "Spacer" tray component.

I think the popup issue should be fixed in newer versions of JWM (845 and beyond). If you want to completely disable popups, you can set:

Code: Select all

<PopupStyle enabled="false">
</PopupStyle>
- Joe

recobayu

#184 Post by recobayu »

Joewing, thanks of many updates of jwm. I like this window manager because of his small and fast. :D
I want to ask, can I show desktop in terminal? What is the command?
Oh ya, I can change between the window by pressing ctrl + tab. But the order is not like what I want. The example, if i open abiword, then gnumeric, then mtpaint, then rox filer (so now the active window is rox filer). Could the window change to mtpaint directly when I press ctrl + tab?
Thank you.

joewing

#185 Post by joewing »

recobayu,

There's no direct way to have JWM show the desktop from the command line right now. Other X programs can tell JWM to show the desktop (as well as other things) using the EWMH, so it would be possible to have a separate program that just communicated with the existing version of JWM. Such a program may already exist, if not it would be fairly simple to write.

As far as the order of switching windows is concerned, there are four bindings: "next", "nextstacked", "prev", and "prevstacked". I think "nextstacked" should give you the order you want.

- Joe

MochiMoppel

Border selection and Alt+drag

#186 Post by MochiMoppel »

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried to make my point in this thread , but was advised to ask here.

In short: In maximised state shifting the mouse to the right edge hits the border, not the scrollbar. I consider this a bug, which makes it very difficult for me to scroll through long pages, particularly since the alternative way in my Opera browser, using Alt+Ctrl+drag to pan pages, is also impossible. JWM not only captures Alt+drag to move a window, it captures Alt+any key+drag - way too much and obstructive. In Openbox Alt+Ctrl works as expected, so this can't be a "standard behaviour" issue.

Regarding the possibility to resize in maximized state: This has now been fixed for the future version, but honestly this feature is odd, but brilliant. Without the annoying border selection issue this feature is very useful, especially the possibility to resize a miximized window with the keyboard.

OscarTalks

#187 Post by OscarTalks »

MochiMoppel wrote:In maximised state shifting the mouse to the right edge hits the border, not the scrollbar.
I upgraded all my machines to JWM version 869 yesterday and the borders have now been removed so in maximised state if you push the cursor all the way to the edge you are on the scrollbar and can move it.

Thanks to Joe for all the hard work in continuing to develop JWM.
Oscar in England

MochiMoppel

#188 Post by MochiMoppel »

OscarTalks wrote: if you push the cursor all the way to the edge you are on the scrollbar and can move it.
I installed jwm2-845-w5c.pet today, the newest (?) pet offered for download and still hit the border and when trying to drag the scrollbar an annoying dimension indicator pops up in the center of the screen. Where can I download an even newer version?

OscarTalks

#189 Post by OscarTalks »

MochiMoppel wrote:Where can I download an even newer version?
I just download the source code from:-

http://joewing.net/projects/jwm

The borders were removed at around version 859 so it needs to be that or a later one. The version number is up to 871 now as I write this. Are you OK with compiling? If not I can try to send a .pet to you via PM for you to test. Hopefully the OP of this thread will be uploading a .pet of a newer version soon as well.
Oscar in England

MochiMoppel

#190 Post by MochiMoppel »

Thanks, Oscar, that's very kind of you. Actually I've never compiled anything, but now I tried for the first time. I ran configure without any options, then make and came up with a single 719K jwm file. Is this correct? File version is 871.

I haven't yet tested much but it looks good: Borders are gone and even the Alt+any key+drag bug is fixed :D

What I find confusing though is the behaviour of the Maximize-... function. When I use a resized window and apply Maximize-y, the window height changes to fill the screen. That's expected, but what I don't expect is that I can't resize the left and right borders although they still show the resize cursors when I hover the mouse.Borders are fixed and the little icon on top (left of the close icon) indicates that the window is maximised. What I expect is that Maximize-y or Maximize-x simply stretches the window but keeps it in resize mode.

OscarTalks

#191 Post by OscarTalks »

Sounds like you are on the right track. Have a look at the properties of the jwm binary though. You may find that it is not stripped. Running

strip --strip-unneeded jwm
on the binary will reduce the size although it does not affect the function. Mine complied in Racy is 149k. The strip command is in the devx. Unusual for stripping to reduce size to that degree but it happens sometimes.

I see what you mean about Maximize-y. This function was introduced into JWM fairly recently. Joe does read this thread it seems, otherwise it may be worth e-mailing him to see if he wants to consider changing it to operate in the way you describe
Oscar in England

SFR

Fullscreen problem

#192 Post by SFR »

Hi Joe & Scsijon

This is an old bug, but today I found some time and patience to determine in exactly which version it appeared for the first time.

The problem is that some apps (e.g. xrick, milkytracker, hurrican) are not able to enter fullscreen mode correctly.
Hard to describe, the attached screenshot says it all.

Ok, and the version that introduces this behavior is s575. s574 and earlier are ok.

I hope it will be possible to fix this.

Thanks &
Greetings!
Attachments
jwm_xrick+fullscreen.png
(14.44 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

scsijon

I'm back.

#193 Post by scsijon »

thanks SFR, added your message to joe's git problem #101. Hopefully it will help him sort it out.

For the rest I will build a new JWM on my systems and test this week, it should be up this weekend if no show-stoppers are found. I hope to now continue with the JWM thread for a while longer but will only do 'things' on a weekly basis from now on.

For those wondering what other Puppy related things I am up too:-

Working with the folks on woof-CE adding stuff I have for mageia2/3, Opensuse12.3 and the like into their stream for builders.

I'm also starting the long process of building a RACY (?59) with T2's Version 9.0 (which is alpha/beta only at this stage (T2 I mean)). It will allow me to start the processes that will bring the Wayland/Westen server/desktop's into puppyland as I need the core packages to be later than T2's 8.0. I will be using Kernel 3.12.3 in any case and won't be worrying about overall size at this point of time. It will have it's own thread and should start to appear in March. All related Packages will live on my site. JWM will remain my xorg/X11 Desktop of choice.

Argolance

#194 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
I found this on the :arrow: JWM configuration page (not updated?):
Other Settings
The following tags may also be supplied.
Tag Description Default Range
ButtonClose An icon to use for the close button on client windows instead of the default.
ButtonMax An icon to use for the maximize button on client windows instead of the default.
ButtonMaxActivve An icon to use for the maximize button on maximized client windows instead of the default.
ButtonMin An icon to use for the minimize button on client windows instead of the default.
This worked well with previous releases of JWM and perhaps still works but I don't know how...
I usually used a file called jwmrc-extra in /root/.jwm:

<JWM>
   <ButtonClose>/root/.jwm/W_buttons/Current_ButtonClose.xbm</ButtonClose>
   <ButtonMax>/root/.jwm/W_buttons/Current_ButtonMax.xbm</ButtonMax>
   <ButtonMaxActive>/root/.jwm/W_buttons/Current_ButtonMaxActive.xbm</ButtonMaxActive>
   <ButtonMin>/root/.jwm/W_buttons/Current_ButtonMin.xbm</ButtonMin>
</JWM>
... And console says:

JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-extra[2]: Balise incorrecte dans JWM: ButtonClose
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-extra[3]: Balise incorrecte dans JWM: ButtonMax
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-extra[4]: Balise incorrecte dans JWM: ButtonMaxActive
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-extra[5]: Balise incorrecte dans JWM: ButtonMin
What's wrong?

@ joe
About tray(s) opacity:
Backgrounds and icons both become transparent. Under 0.8, it is quite impossible to see anything! Don't you think only the background should be affected by this opacity?

Thanks!
Cordialement.
Attachments
023725_104x207_easyshot.jpg
(6.99 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
Last edited by Argolance on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 18:27, edited 2 times in total.

Argolance

#195 Post by Argolance »

PS:
Configuration Changes
JWM no longer allows custom window buttons. These buttons are now custom drawn to an appropriate size using X graphics primitives.
:cry:
What a pity: not essential, indeed, but appreciated by many users...
Why not keep this feature, at least as compilation option? If JWM can do the big things, can't it do the little things as well?

Cordialement.
Attachments
140227_191526_174x91_easyshot.png
I was used to these minimalist buttons: they will miss me!
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Last edited by Argolance on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

SFR

#196 Post by SFR »

Argolance wrote: :cry:
No need to despair. ;)
Window buttons now can be i.a. in PNG or SVG formats.
Grab the latest jwmconfig3-140121 - it includes some themes and a GUI (by 01micko) to switch between them.

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(28.66 KiB) Downloaded 1383 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

Argolance

#197 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
Thanks! :D
No need to despair. Wink
Window buttons now can be i.a. in PNG or SVG formats.
Grab the latest jwmconfig3-140121 - it includes some themes and a GUI (by 01micko) to switch between them.
I already made such a script for ToOpPy (see picture below), which seems (more or less) to work like the 01micko's one but using xbm pictures and working with older JWM release.
So, I converted my pictures from xbm to png, just to test if it would work. Don't know if I well understood but (?) if my jwmrc-personal file contains these lines:

<ButtonClose>/root/.jwm/W_buttons/Current_ButtonClose.png</ButtonClose>
   <ButtonMax>/root/.jwm/W_buttons/Current_ButtonMax.png</ButtonMax>
   <ButtonMaxActive>/root/.jwm/W_buttons/Current_ButtonMaxActive.png</ButtonMaxActive>
   <ButtonMin>/root/.jwm/W_buttons/Current_ButtonMin.png</ButtonMin>
... it should work?
Using my script or the 01 micko's one, I get the same error messages. :shock: My JWM release is 845. Isn't it the latest?
Or is it newer than yours?
:!: As reported above:
Configuration Changes
JWM no longer allows custom window buttons. These buttons are now custom drawn to an appropriate size using X graphics primitives.
???

Cordialement.
Attachments
204741_326x325_easyshot.jpg
(20.44 KiB) Downloaded 1334 times

SFR

#198 Post by SFR »

My JWM release is 845. Isn't it the latest?
Oh, it seems that this feature has been introduced 3 snapshots later, in s848.
BTW, the latest is s896.

Greetings!

joewing

#199 Post by joewing »

@Argolance:

As SFR mentioned, JWM now (as of snapshot 848) uses the same icon rendering code for window buttons as it uses for everything else, so you can use PNG icons etc. Unfortunately, xbm icons won't work anymore. I'll open an issue to address that (I think it would be cool to support xbm icons everywhere).

As far as transparency is concerned, JWM only sets a property on the window for the tray/menu/etc to indicate the desired transparency, so that method really doesn't allow anything more advanced than setting the opacity for the whole window. I'm not sure of an easy way around that, unfortunately.

- Joe

Argolance

#200 Post by Argolance »

Thank you for answering, guys! :D
Joe wrote: I'll open an issue to address that (I think it would be cool to support xbm icons everywhere).
I think you will do the right thing! The advantage of xbm buttons is that they are displayed using the color of the title of the window. The disadvantage is that they are a bit "rough"!
It would be "cool" to have the choice!
SFR wrote:Oh, it seems that this feature has been introduced 3 snapshots later, in s848.
BTW, the latest is s896.
.. has been (fortunately) reintroduced! :wink:

Question: How to compile the source to get jwm file inside /usr/bin/jwm instead of the default /usr/bin/local/jwm?

Thanks.

Cordialement.