How to change colour of background in jwm?

Booting, installing, newbie
kattami

How to change colour of background in jwm?

#1 Post by kattami »

Hi.

I have been looking around both in google and in this forum when its about how to make themes and change colours in jwm config file.

My problem is probably that I dont understand the english terms so I have no idea what its called.

One problem is the colour inside windows.

I like the theme called black-vg and in openbox I chosed something called onyx.

But the background inside windows is abit too dark for my taste.

Where do I change the background colour inside windows? Like the window showing folders. Its black frame and black background with icons that has text colours which is difficult to view because background is black.

Another problem is when I use browser. Almost all schemes, where I fill out information inside textboxes, has black textboxes. Its very difficult to write in these textboxes because I cant see the text which is of course black. This one I have no idea what its called, so I couldnt find anything in search. Would of course like the textboxes white...

GustavoYz

#2 Post by GustavoYz »

Not sure if understood the problem totally, but gtk is who "paints"
the text boxes, so you should try to change the gtk theme to
see if solves your problem first.

Im rusty on jwm issues, as long time without it, but I remind that
the "user" installed themes live in /root/.jwm/themes and the
config files that sets the colors are *.jwmrc. Maybe the theme
you're seeking for is under /usr/share/themes...

Also, if you're using ROX as filemanager, you can overwrite color from the right button menu, chooose 'Options' and 'Types > Colors'.

kattami

#3 Post by kattami »

Thanks.

I found through searching about gtk themes that they say its very typical in black gtk themes - its giving impossible to read black textboxes in the browsers. Not only firefox but also Midori was mentioned.

GustavoYz

#4 Post by GustavoYz »

Totally.
Add Opera in the list. But the problem goes away if a clearer gtk theme is used, I didn't investigated why it happens or which options in the theme rc file is causing it yet...
Attachments
gtk_dark_opera.jpg
(13.21 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Last edited by GustavoYz on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

Very much so an issue with dark (especially full #000000 black) backgrounds having an issue with text (foregrounds) not contrasting well .. sometimes selecting or hovering will prelight the bg for an acceptable look, but gtk is quite iffy at times and per how some apps use various values. The reverse, light text on lighter bgs can be an issue as well in some field boxes.

Making a usable dark gtk theme is challenging since there are so many places it can fail (tabs, url-box, menus and so on). There are some well-done 'medium' gtk themes like the stardust series if you really don't care for the light gtks.

Some apps use an fltk (xfe file manager for one) or qt engine for drawing window interior colors - often these can give better results for a dark(ish) look that's useful/legible.

hth

kattami

#6 Post by kattami »

Thanks for the replies.

I got a temporary fix by changing for the time being to the Deep Thought theme to get rid of the black textboxes.

I am now trying Lucid 5.2.8 and will look around to see if I am able to figure out the openbox or jwm transparency.

Which means further questions doesnt belong to this thread.

Mercedes350se

#7 Post by Mercedes350se »

I am using JWM in macpup 5.2.8 and only have Black-Metal theme - well that is all that shows in Desktop>JWM Configuration>Choose a JWM theme.

Any suggestions where I can view/download something easier on the eyes rather than the blue on black!

`f00

#8 Post by `f00 »

@Mercedes350se - Big selection of jwm themes here, as well as making your own custom by edit/mod of an extant (jwm)theme or trio's jwm-thememaker. Jwm themes are fairly easy to edit :)

Here's a jwm sixpack for useful variety, most have opacity tags for use with x/kcompmgr for translucency effects if desired..

Mercedes350se

#9 Post by Mercedes350se »

@ 'foo Thank you for the info. In the meantime I have been playing around with the theme maker in macpup and have a "reasonably" pleasant theme now.

How do I change the colour of the Menu button? I would like the font colour to match - I do not know how to describe it - the website info that shows on the bottom bar.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

If interested, I'm sure I could scrape up an Austrumi theme or two. Let me know..