BareBones Puppies & BABYies

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
darry1966

Updated ffmpeg

#76 Post by darry1966 »

I have added updated ffmpeg from Shinobar in the same folder.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dazsbar ... t/download

keniv

#77 Post by keniv »

Hello All
I'm not sure if this thread is still live but I thought I would give it a try. I have installed the wary 5.3 barebones.iso as a manual frugal install booting with grub in an old Toshiba laptop (800MHz, 320MB). I have QtWeb as a browser. I have also installed xhippo-3.5-gtk.pet from the first post, mpg123-1.14.2 and xfreecd-0.9.0.1. However, I cannot find a way to install Mplayer-nodeps.tcz(also in first post). Can somebody please tell me how to do this?

Regards,

Ken.

mavrothal

#78 Post by mavrothal »

keniv wrote: I cannot find a way to install Mplayer-nodeps.tcz(also in first post).
Rename Mplayer-nodeps.tcz to Mplayer-nodeps.sfs so puppy will recognise it and mount it with sfs_load.
You maybe able to use it from there directly. If not you'll need to copy mplayer from the sfs to /usr/bin or somewhere else and tell xhippo to use it from the new location.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

keniv

#79 Post by keniv »

Thanks for your reply and the info. Changing .tcz to .sfs worked though I did have to move mplayer to /usr/bin. I tried linking it first but this did not work for some reason. In doing this I dicovered that my sound card is not recognised, I'll have a look at this tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#80 Post by keniv »

My sound card is a Yamaha Corporation YMF-774B (DS-1S Audio Controler). It does not appear to be recognised. I also use lucid 5287. The sound works with this. I have compared the sound drivers loaded in lucid with that in barebones wary. Wary is missing only two. They are snd_ymfci and snd_mpv401_uart. snd_ymfci is there and although it does not load it can be made to load using boot manager. However, snd_mpv401_uart is missing. Does anybody know if it exists in the unstriped version of wary, If it does and it uses the same kernel would it be enough to transfer this driver or would I have to do more? If I have to do more can someone tell me what.

Regards,

Ken.

Puppus Dogfellow

a mirror for the mini pups

#81 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rufwoof

#82 Post by rufwoof »

67MB Wary Barebone XVesa that runs the latest firefox, runs skype, libre office ...etc.

For frugallers I've expanded the Wary Barebone XVesa to include dbus so that you can use the latest firefox. Download the initrd (that contains puppy sfs integrally) and vmlinuz and set your grub4dos menu.lst (or whatever) to point to those

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing

Boot ... set up/configure keyboard, locale, sound etc as normal and perhaps remaster straight afterwards. My faster remaster script is included as a desktop icon (doesn't require a ISO). Once that finishes there's a new version of initrd and vmlinuz in /root that should replace the original versions wherever grub4dos looks to boot from.

In the home directory (/root) there's a get_latest_firefox script so once you have the network connected click on that and it will download, extract, install (under /root to a directory something like firefox-41.0.2) the latest firefox from mozilla (to run navigate to something like /root/firefox-41.0.2/opt/firefox and click the firefox icon). get_latest_firefox will automatically start up firefox the first time once it finishes downloading/preparing.

I've dropped a few firefox addons into /root so when firefox starts it will already have noscript, zoom and duckducklite (search engine) already set. Its home page (and a bookmark) have also been set to the googledrive directory where vmlinuz and initrd are stored together with some other SFS's that can be used - Libre Office, Skype, MasterPDFeditor and a portable firefox (Shinobar's) that could be downloaded and installed on HDD.

I can run libre, pdf editor, skype and the latest firefox all fine on my system. I've also PXE booted that vmlinuz and initrd using another later PC and that also was fine. A third even more later PC (around a year old) PXE booted OK but the mouse didn't work (nor did the network connect) i.e. your mileage may vary and more recent PC's likely have hardware/modules that are missing from Wary Barebone. XVesa.

Looks like the standard firefox can view youtubes and load PDF's etc. Libre has draw, word and spreadsheet programs and if you save/export files as PDF's you can use MasterPDF editor to edit the PDF with its draw functions and/or add additional files/images etc (internal attachments to the PDF)
Last edited by rufwoof on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#83 Post by oui »

The Unicorn 6.0 can also be considered as a kind of barebone!

And more:

RSH did publish an extension package containing all his "science" and making out that kind of barebone the most modular puppy able to use a lot of the LP2-somewhat.sfs and other app's from RHS! As the language package for German is added, it is easy (but make a lot of work) to produce other one for all possible languages...

I did use Unicorn 6.0 as my main system long months along exactly so!

RSH archive download for his extension package for Unicorn 6.0

RSH archive download for his devx for LazyUnicorn

RSH archive download for his extension package for Vivid (read more here eventually with the help of the Google translator!)
Note: Vivid is of course no barebone but a standard Puppy! Sorry :wink:. It would be wonderful to have it also as barebone but it is not available.
Note: I did use Vivid in French together with that RSH archive - It did work very good. Probably the same thing would also happen in other languages. I did use usual *.sfs from ASRI, Petihar etc. and convert them to LP3-somewhat.sfs for the RSH system, adequate tool is contained in the RSH archive. It is very easy. All that is in French also within the applicationś modules...

RSH archive at smokey01 for all his LP2-somewhat.sfs for the LazY modular system (attention: the modules concern Puppy's used between 2011 .. 2015 so that divers modules work only in older version in LazY Pup system!)

RSH page on the RSH's LazY modular system

Note: you need no change in Unicorn 6.0 excepted interchange the original initrd with the new initrd prepared by RSH and include in his archive! same thing for Vivid!

oui

#84 Post by oui »

as you see in my precedent message, Puppy Linux could easily be a modular system...

Profits?

- only barebones to develope according the different main distributions lines (Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, and now LFS in fatdog64 since version 7.0, etc.) :roll:

- probably only a central LPn-somewhat.sfs archive needing perhaps for all distributions lines :idea:

- typical software archive chaos usual in the Puppy world is broken: disorder is finish :x

- using the tools from RSH it would be easy to build new own Puppy's. See his following examples:
LazY Puppy wrote:Entdecke die Möglichkeiten!!!

Hier einmal zwei Screenshots und ein paar Daten bez. des Effekts der Verwendung einer Konfigurationsdatei.

LazY-Puppy-Normal.jpg

zeigt meine LazY Puppy Arbeitstation (im Originalzustand) für alle Entwicklungen, die mit der Bearbeitung von initrd.gz -also auch die Optionen zur Konfigurationsdatei- zu tun haben.

LazY-Puppy-Bad-Doggie-per-Konfigurationsdatei.jpg

zeigt dasselbe System als Bad little Doggie:

- geändertes Hintergrundbild
- andere Ikonen
- alle Laufwerke eingebunden
- geänderter Startklang

- bereits zusätzlich geladene Module:

Code: Select all

EXTRASFSLIST='LP2_Aqualung09b11.sfs LP2_AutoAdjust-Image-Suite-1.0.0.sfs LP2_Geany-0.20.sfs LP2_Gimp2612.sfs LP2_WineCorelSuite.sfs'
PREVUNIONRECORD=''
LASTUNIONRECORD='LP2_Aqualung09b11.sfs LP2_AutoAdjust-Image-Suite-1.0.0.sfs LP2_Geany-0.20.sfs LP2_Gimp2612.sfs LP2_WineCorelSuite.sfs'
Viele weitere Optionen wurden hier nicht genutzt, alle Änderungen ohne Erstellung eines neuen Systems! 8)

Wie gesagt: entdecke die Möglichkeiten!!! :idea:
see the two images here and here

starhawk

#85 Post by starhawk »

Wary barebones doesn't boot on the system I want it to boot on :(

Wyse C90LE, VIA Eden 1GHz CPU, VIA VX855, 2GB RAM, boot attempted from old PNY Attache 512mb USB stick, formatted ext3, boot flag enabled. Boot manager was Grub4DOS, installed from X-Tahr 1b2 on another computer.

Boot halts immediately after selection, does not unpack vmlinuz or initrd. If I power off with the button, it shuts down instantly, which indicates that the system is halted already, rather than having to hold it down to shut off a misbehaving machine.

menu.lst --

Code: Select all

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.2
color blue/cyan yellow/blue white/black cyan/black
#splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Wary XVesa Barebones (sdc1)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /initrd
  kernel /vmlinuz    pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /initrd

title Wary XVesa Barebones (sdc1) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /initrd
  kernel /vmlinuz    pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram
  initrd /initrd

# additionals

title Reboot computer
  reboot

title Halt computer
  halt

greengeek

#86 Post by greengeek »

rufwoof wrote:For frugallers I've expanded the Wary Barebone XVesa to include dbus so that you can use the latest firefox. Download the initrd (that contains puppy sfs integrally) and vmlinuz and set your grub4dos menu.lst (or whatever) to point to those
Looks interesting. Seems to go through the boot process ok on my Toshiba M700 but I end up with a black screen with backlight apparently on but no mouse or anything else.

Can you suggest any additional parameter I could add to the menu.lst to get past this?

rufwoof

#87 Post by rufwoof »

Sorry I can't. I just took the Wary 5.3 Barebone XVesa only ISO and added dbus and my own remaster script to that.

My understanding is the XVesa communicates directly with the VGA BIOS and is generic - for older hardware. Limited to 4:3 old style aspect ratio only and supports 8 bit and 32 bit only colour resolutions (no 16 bit). It was good for older days hardware, but I suspect newer kit may not be as consistent as with older kit use of VGA.

I had hoped for a simple and small pup that could boot on a wide range of kit (which XVesa seemed to fit the bill), that had enough to get a browser and network up and running (GUI) and where that barebone pup could then be added to using PET's/SFS's i.e. moduler. But it would appear that's not a viable option.

Puppus Dogfellow

#88 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

have yet to try rufwoof's offering, but i downloaded the initrd and vmlinuz, placed them in a folder on sda3, ran grub4dos, got the following entry in menu.lst:

title war3ry66 (sda3/wary66)
uuid f8f444ac-98cb-46a2-8f2b-64d2b0ab03a2
kernel /wary66/vmlinuz psubdir=wary66 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /wary66/initrd

, which looks good to me. it also gave me the idea to manually redo the frugals on one of my machines--i moved around the folders, unpacked some isos so that the folders looked like any other bootable pup's, reran grub4dos--everything looks like it'd work but i haven't yet rebooted. can anyone think of a reason the preceding would fail (savefolder/savefile issues on existing installations aside) or anything i should change before i attempt to boot one of them? i left one installation intact so i'm pretty sure (possibly faulty jwm compile aside) i'll be able to boot from something off that drive regardless.

anyway, very cool, rufwoof, especially if people can get it to boot somewhat consistently. i was going to first try out 666philb's stripped unicorn to see if the frugal-sprinkling method worked, but your puplet is there as well as wary66, so i may boot that first. i use the machine (asus ha1000 with 2 gigs of ram) mostly for the browser and music, i could try barry's stripped LO 4.X on it (i think the x86 is about 110mb...)...seems very promising.

:D

--

(hope i didn't go too off topic)
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.

jrb

#89 Post by jrb »

rufwoof wrote: I just took the Wary 5.3 Barebone XVesa only ISO and added dbus and my own remaster script to that..
Excellent idea rufwoof. I downloaded your version and tried it. Its works well with the latest version of Seamonkey.

I notice that you created it by remastering. This is fine for your own use but it picked up the video and ethernet settings for your PC and overwrote the more general initial settings. I suggest you untar the debus .pets and your remaster script, possibly with UExtract, and then add them manually to the original puppy_wary_5.3.sfs using edit-sfs.

Starhawk and Greengeek, Xvesa works on most but not all hardware, but the resolution choices may be limited. I chose 640x480x16 for the initial resolution at boot because I think thats probably the most universal. Try the original wary-5.3-BABYbarebonesXvesa.iso and see if it will work.

Cheers, J

keniv

#90 Post by keniv »

I get a similar result to starhawk but i can get the origional Wary 5.3 Barebones Versa iso to work with a manual frugal install on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 (800MHz 320MB). Still no sound though. For the moment using QtWeb as browser.

Ken.

greengeek

#91 Post by greengeek »

jrb wrote:Starhawk and Greengeek, Xvesa works on most but not all hardware, but the resolution choices may be limited. I chose 640x480x16 for the initial resolution at boot because I think thats probably the most universal. Try the original wary-5.3-BABYbarebonesXvesa.iso and see if it will work.
Thanks - same problem for me with the original too. Might be my nVidia graphics. Will try it on any other older hardware i come across.

ETP

#92 Post by ETP »

@ Puppus Dogfellow & greengeek,

You may wish to try my f2fs version of 666philb's Unicorn-6.0 building block pupplet.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 817#816817

It is something I keep returning to as it is quick,versatile & very stable.
No problem with Nvidia.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

starhawk

#93 Post by starhawk »

@jrb -- works fine :) a pity about the 640x480 initial res, though -- good heavens that stuff makes the icons big! Base VGA resolution there is really only suited to something like Windows 3.x that's expecting it.

rufwoof

#94 Post by rufwoof »

jrb wrote:
rufwoof wrote: I just took the Wary 5.3 Barebone XVesa only ISO and added dbus and my own remaster script to that..
Excellent idea rufwoof. I downloaded your version and tried it. Its works well with the latest version of Seamonkey.

I notice that you created it by remastering. This is fine for your own use but it picked up the video and ethernet settings for your PC and overwrote the more general initial settings. I suggest you untar the debus .pets and your remaster script, possibly with UExtract, and then add them manually to the original puppy_wary_5.3.sfs using edit-sfs.
Done : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing 61MB ISO of the original barebone wary 5.3, but with dbus PET's extracted and a get_latest_firefox added to the /root directory that downloads/starts the latest firefox. Repacked into a ISO with just the puppy sfs replaced

Loaded up firefox 42.0 OK browsing to sneekylinux's video and that played ok (presumably via firefox HTML5), sfs loaded my local copy of libre office, and master pdf editor which also fired up/ran ok. Had to search for/install pet's for screeny and xwd to enable a screen capture to be made.
Attachments
sc.jpg
(76.09 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Last edited by rufwoof on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 17:16, edited 3 times in total.

keniv

#95 Post by keniv »

Hi darry 1966
Your update links no longer work. Is it possible to get them working again?

Regards,

Ken.