A Puppy for the Mac mini?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
puponmanyoldlaptops

A Puppy for the Mac mini?

#16 Post by puponmanyoldlaptops »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Why I said that Macs are 100% different is because:

-Ubuntu developers had to create a seperate Ubuntu port for Macs (including Intel Macs) because the hardware is so different from a PC.
-Even in a Intel Mac, a lot of the hardware is different.
-When making RAM sticks for Macs, it's bit harder because the RAM is different than a PCs.
-Even keyboards have to be made differently at times.
-Macs overall have always been inferior (Performance-wise) to PCs.
-The graphics chip has to be made differently for Macs.

That is only part of the list.
I was a non-Mac man until my ex-wife wanted one. I had to learn Mac to help her get set up in her quilting business. I still use both Macs and PCs and I like 'em both for different reasons.

I've used PC keyboards on Macs since the 1998 iMac went all-USB.

The Macintosh was always considered a custom computer. The designs and peripherals were different, and a little radical. Vis the Twentieth Anniversary Mac.

Inferior? Performance was leapfrog between Apple/ Motorola-IBM and Intel throughout the 90s. Wasn't until the Adobe Flash debacle that we all believed that the Mac was faster.

Either way, I save old Pentium boxen, I save old Mac PowerPC boxen because Linux, especially Puppy Linux, makes them useful.

It holds them up as examples of why not to discard or recycle some of them. This mini was a terrible websurfer until Ubuntu 12.04, thanks to Firefox 18. Still no flash, but wow. Great performance doing browsing and in-Mac tasks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

I copied and pasted puponoldlaptops and caninieloop into the memberlist search. Neither one existed.

bark_bark_bark

Re: A Puppy for the Mac mini?

#18 Post by bark_bark_bark »

puponmanyoldlaptops wrote:Inferior? Performance was leapfrog between Apple/ Motorola-IBM and Intel throughout the 90s.
Yes it was like that in the 90s, but I have never seen a modern-day mac with more than 32GB of RAM. PCs these days can have 64GB+ of RAM.

If you were willing to get a $2000 iMac, you can get a 3.2Ghz CPU in you're Mac. Still though in a PC we see 8-core processors with 4Ghz+. In a iMac it is only a quad-core processor.