RTPL - Realtime Puplet

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Announcer

#16 Post by Announcer »

If all you're doing is using your organ program, then no, you probably don't need an rt kernel.

Yes, 3.3 is based on Lucid 520.

allanbct

#17 Post by allanbct »

@Announcer

Thanks for your reply

I think I will stick with 5.4.3 then as all is working.
If all works out will probably need new machine with touch screen and decent sound cards

NeroVance

#18 Post by NeroVance »

Announcer wrote:Why don't you just use Puppy Studio 3.3-rt? It's based on the same version you are trying to switch kernels with, all you're basically trying to do is make a plain version with the apps removed.
That is indeed the goal. It is just good ol' Puppy (for the most part), but with a realtime kernel, for realtime infrastructure.

That and using it as perhaps my puplet for trying out different things, such as update Tcl to the now stable 8.6, and using a different WM, slim it down, etc.

In truth, I'm not even doing it for musical work :lol:
I'm just a crazy 19 year old *nix warlock (deep magic and such) 8)

Announcer

#19 Post by Announcer »

NeroVance wrote:In truth, I'm not even doing it for musical work
Hmm.

So, you got an industrial laser kickin' around the house you wanna control, or something?

NeroVance

#20 Post by NeroVance »

Announcer wrote:
NeroVance wrote:In truth, I'm not even doing it for musical work
Hmm.

So, you got an industrial laser kickin' around the house you wanna control, or something?
I'm just bored, and it gives me something to do. Could be useful for communications systems and the like. Even back in the day I always thought I could get puppy to do nearly anything. It is quite the capable distro.

Announcer

#21 Post by Announcer »

Ok, well, carry on then, I suppose.

allanbct

#22 Post by allanbct »

Hi guys

After further reading I think I have to just change wi-fi driver in 5.2.x. I can download and put in root to install from usb without wi-fi working.

There seems so much to learn when your over 60

Thanks for the help.

I find the hardest thing is how to ask the rite question with all the needed info.

Smithy

#23 Post by Smithy »

Why don't you just use Puppy Studio 3.3-rt? It's based on the same version you are trying to switch kernels with, all you're basically trying to do is make a plain version with the apps removed.
Yes Announcer, but having a look at 3.3rt Studio in GD Map, I think one could go completely mad trying to make a plain old barebones from your studio!
Wouldn't be so bad if GD Map had a delete button and automatically removed Muse or something.
It looks a bit crazy the way linux and its Apps are put together, but no crazier than any other computer operating system I'd say. (Yes I only just found GD Map and what it does :) )

That said, it really does do great latency your Pup, I think it is actually doing 1.5msecs or so and the figures may be wrong, which is most impressive.
The other Pups flake out in comparison as regards realtime audio.
Not tried the fat dawg one tho' with da realtime.

I just discovered this thread and think it is great that NeroVance is having a go, not tried the pup yet though.

cthisbear

#24 Post by cthisbear »

Always helpful....what is your Hardware??????

:::::::::

" Puppy Studio 3.3-rt also would not stay connected to wi-fi. "

So it connects.....have you tried Frisbee???????

Chris.

Smithy

#25 Post by Smithy »

Just gave the pup a test.

1. Yes it will only start when you select xvesa and then your resolution, after that it boots up okay.
Then you can get full direct rendering, after installing xorg high pet, doesn't seem to do a save file.
It will do a remaster though so it can be "frozen in time" that way.
Then after doing the xvesa at boot it goes straight into direct rendering video (glx gears giving it 2000 frames etc).

2. Alsa is a bit dodgy, maybe could do with this if it could be injected:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid525.pet

I managed to FORCE it to find a card with present alsa, eventually, but it 'aint fun. But it's a well known problem with the asound conf or whatever it is and I think 1.0.24 supported more cards and is generally good.

3.Network needs some module or something.

Everything else seems to work fine.
Bumped up PBurn with a little gtk update.

I thought it was going to be some command line interface job, but it looks like a good old regular puppy!

Nice work.

p.s don't know if you are going to finish it, but a file difference xdelta file would be good rather than doing a new iso each time.