How to connect Slacko 5.4 using Broadcom BCM43224 wireless?

Rydberg

How to connect Slacko 5.4 using Broadcom BCM43224 wireless?

#1 Post by Rydberg »

Hi, I'm new to puppy linux (and linux overall) and would need some help.

I'm sitting in school and we have a 802.1x network (I think). However, when I was logging in from Windows is needed to enter a username and password (which i have), but when I'm trying to connect via the network manager or the Frisbee software i can't connect. The software just asks for a password, and my guess is that it connects to the network and thinks it's WPA2 encrypted.

I have no idea how to do this, so I would really appreciate any help i can get. My puppy linux is installed to my HDD, which doesn't seem normal around here...

I tried some fast searches on google and the forum but couldn't find anything I understood.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Puppy has a nasty habit of picking up any old wireless internet and tries connecting to it. So you may actually be being asked to supply a password for a "neighbor's" wireless.
You may need to select the correct connection.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Rydberg

#3 Post by Rydberg »

Are you sure that puppy Linux is fully compatible with 802.1x networks without any modifications of the network wizard?

I saw somewhere that someone had written about some wpa_supplicant thing...

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

I think he meant the x to be a variable of unknown value.

Rydberg

#5 Post by Rydberg »

Hm, okey. So you're saying that, if i connect correctly to the network, there should be no problems at all? Cause when you go and create a network profile, you can only choose WPA, WEP and so on802.1x (WPA2-EAP-...).

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

I'll need to try here from Puppy to double check this.
I can't check at the moment as my router died and I'm in the middle of setting another up and don't have ANY wireless just yet.

Rydberg

#7 Post by Rydberg »

Okay, thanks a lot!

grump

#8 Post by grump »

The OP's problem seems to be that he needs to log in to the school's Windows (or maybe Novell) network. My guess is that he needs a client in order to do so. He would definitely need one for Novell.

In the school I worked in (as computer support person) the wireless was open - there was no point in having security on the wireless routers because although you could get a wireless connection you could not see anything on the network or use the internet without being authenticated on the network or knowing the proxy server details.

Rydberg

#9 Post by Rydberg »

You're exactly right, grump. Sorry for my incompetent question, but what is Novell?

Rydberg

#10 Post by Rydberg »

Maybe I should add that it worked perfect while I was running Ubuntu for a few weeks, so I guess it's just some certificate or something that tells the adapter that you need to enter both an username and a password...

Burn_IT

#11 Post by Burn_IT »

You need to use the network set up wizard.
Tell it you want wireless, then scan. It will produce a list of available connections. choose you school one and fill in/choose the options.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Rydberg, it might help if you told us which version of Puppy you're using.

Rydberg

#13 Post by Rydberg »

Burn_IT wrote:You need to use the network set up wizard.
Tell it you want wireless, then scan. It will produce a list of available connections. choose you school one and fill in/choose the options.
I think I tried this and couldn't get any encryption type that let me put in username and password, but I'll try again tomorrow!

I think I'm running Puppy Slacko 5.4. I downloaded and installed it 30 Dec 2012. I can't really check that now since my computer is in school this night.

Rydberg

#14 Post by Rydberg »

Yes, I am running 5.4. The frisbee software says that it's going to detect encryption bu it doesn't. The strange thing is following:

When I look at all the wireless networks available I see that my schools network (LND_Elev1-1) is encrypted with [WPA2-EAP-CCMP], but when I go to the profile created automatically both Auth-Alg and Encryption is None/Open.

Any ideas why?

grump

#15 Post by grump »

Can you see the internet after you connect to the wireless?

If your computer was set up by the school techs it might have some settings in Windows to allow the browser to get through the proxy server, so have a look in the browser setting to see if it has proxy settings. If so, write them down and put them in the Puppy browser. You could sound out the school techs to see if they are interested in helping you.

For others info a school network is usually set up like a corporate network - all users have to log on to the network, and when successful a login script runs which maps network drives including the user's home directory. The small school I worked for had nearly 1000 users/clients (incl 600 student and teacher laptops), making it a as big and complex a network as would be found in many middle to large corporates.

Rydberg

#16 Post by Rydberg »

Well, I can't even connect to the network. When I try to connect I just get an error message that says that the configuration failed for wlan0. When I logged onto the network on windows it told me to log in with username and password before I was fully connected, just like when you connect to a WEP or WPA encrypted network.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

The card you've got there?

Code: Select all

lspci -nn | grep -i network

Rydberg

#18 Post by Rydberg »

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:0576] (rev 01)

But since I've been connected with this hardware (not software) to the network before, this shouldn't be a problem, or am I missing something?

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Well, your chipset appears supported: Name/PCI Device ID = BCM43224/0x0576

*No- NOT compiled for your ride..

Whether it's been prepped for Slacko 5.4 I can't answer.

Open a terminal and type: lsmod | grep brcm80211

Is she listed?

If no one answers, maybe give that Dpup a spin..

==

Who you're really waiting on are the folks with the know-how..

Rydberg

#20 Post by Rydberg »

Semme wrote:
Open a terminal and type: lsmod | grep brcm80211
I don't get any output, I just return to bash, or what it's called (I'm new to the terminal stuff too, sorry).