YouTube videos just stay black in Legacy 2.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mrmyc0rn

YouTube videos just stay black in Legacy 2.1

#1 Post by mrmyc0rn »

So far, I really like the look and feel of Legacy 2.1, and it runs really fast and smooth on my old 2003 PC. Except for one thing - YouTube videos won't play. They just stay black. Is this a Flash issue?
I'm new to Linux and not totally sure what I'm doing, just trying to squeeze a little more life out of an otherwise obsolete machine.
THANKS!

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Hmm.. it says on the wiki that Legacy OS 2.1 Gamer and LTS come with HTML5 Browser (in large red writing). I wonder if that means it comes with a normal browser and an html5 browser (to watch videos) or if they're the same browser?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LegacyOS

edit:
website wrote:Also included in this release is Opera 12 Web Browser with Flash for excellent HTML5 Internet browsing
Now I'm even more confused! :lol:

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

See this post.

Leading to Flashplayer-11.2r202.tar.gz to be unpacked to /

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello mrmyc0rn,
As Sylvander posted install Flash version 11.2 from the link provided. There you'll also find a pdf showing how to install extra packages in Legacy OS if you're having trouble installing.
One question? Are you using xorg or xvesa with your monitor? You'll have more luck using xorg for Youtube.
Under Applications > Internet > Misc > Youtube Downloader you'll find info to allow downloading of youtube videos.
In testing while an old 350Mhz Pentium III won't play Youtube videos smoothly on Legacy OS by adding a downloader you will be able to play saved MP4 files with Legacy OS.
Those reading this might say "That's too much work!".
For those in poor countries having some way to view youtube content is better than nothing.
Hmm.. it says on the wiki that Legacy OS 2.1 Gamer and LTS come with HTML5 Browser (in large red writing). I wonder if that means it comes with a normal browser and an html5 browser (to watch videos) or if they're the same browser?
Opera 12 does support HTML5 but if the hardware it's running on is too old HTML5 videos won't run.
On this 1.9 Ghz Pentium 4 Laptop Youtube Videos play fine using Opera 12
On my 350Mhz Desktop while they play, they play very poorly. Once downloaded I can view them with "Quick Play" in the ROX file manager.
Running Ubuntu on this Pentium 4 laptop using a late version of Firefox or Opera Videos play poorly due to the extra resources being used by Ubuntu.
Attachments
Downloader.jpg
(36.99 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Youtube on Legacy OS.jpg
(54.6 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.