HP Photosmart 1215 not printing PDF files right

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
aen

HP Photosmart 1215 not printing PDF files right

#1 Post by aen »

I have been using Lucid 5.28 for sometime now with great success. My HP Photosmart 1215 printer has always worked flawlessly with any Puppy including 5.28.

Recently while trying to print a PDF file I noticed that the output is distorted where every other line of the document is cut off halfway (the top half of the line prints and the bottom half is missing.) I originally thought maybe the print rollers have finally given out and it is time for a new printer. However, the test page printed from the CUPS administration site is perfect in every way.

Has anyone else experience this situation and if so found a solution?

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

I'd first try cleaning the print head; also you may be somewhat low on ink -- both will do that.

Failing that, it could be a software issue. Not sure.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you having the problem with all PDFs or just this one? If you want, you can send it to me by PM and I can run some tests on it.

aen

#4 Post by aen »

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I don't believe it is a software issue or a problem with the file because I was able to print the documents correctly with another computer and printer.

I ran the printer utility to clean the cartridges and noticed the ink levels are around 15% on both Color and B&W. Also, there is some minor streaking in the B&W test band. I think the problem may be the ink levels but am not sure.

The printer is at least 10 yrs old. These days you can almost replace a basic printer for the cost of replacement cartridges. Guess I'll plug along for a while longer since most of the time the printer functions perfectly.

aen

#5 Post by aen »

Once again Puppy proves it is the best.

My previous post indicated my problem with my OLD HP Photosmart 1215.

Today I picked up a HP Deskjet 1000 for a little more than it would have cost to replace my Photosmart cartridges. Only problem was CUPS did not have the correct driver.

I searched the forum, and in 2 minutes I discovered and found the updated .pet for HPLIP --- with the driver support.

Printer works like a charm, and printed the PDF file I was unable to print before.

THANKS PUPPY!!!