Lxpup Power Management Laptop Settings???

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
kjacobs

Lxpup Power Management Laptop Settings???

#1 Post by kjacobs »

HI again,

Well, so far Lxpup has been working great....I am very pleased with it on this older laptop. Last night we tried to watch a DVD on it....and it worked great until the laptop screen went black. Of course, it came back on after touchng the touch pad. However, I could not figure out how to keep the laptop screen from going blank every 10 min....so switched to a differnt laptop for the remainder of the movie.

The screen saver is off....so there must be a way to change the power management settings for the laptop???? I just could not find the settings for that anywhere......

peebee

Re: Lxpup Power Management Laptop Settings???

#2 Post by peebee »

kjacobs wrote:HI again,

Well, so far Lxpup has been working great....I am very pleased with it on this older laptop. Last night we tried to watch a DVD on it....and it worked great until the laptop screen went black. Of course, it came back on after touchng the touch pad. However, I could not figure out how to keep the laptop screen from going blank every 10 min....so switched to a differnt laptop for the remainder of the movie.

The screen saver is off....so there must be a way to change the power management settings for the laptop???? I just could not find the settings for that anywhere......
I think the command you need is xset with s options

http://linux.die.net/man/1/xset

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 458#642458

There are various places you could try putting the command:

- in the startup script for your dvd player

- in a desktop icon

- in a /root/startup script

The default is set by /root/.xinitrc

Code: Select all

xset s 600 600 s blank
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

kjacobs

#3 Post by kjacobs »

Thanks for the quick reply again....

I took a look at the links and different ways to use the command. I only really need it on VLC when running a video at the moment. So, I did a little snooping and discovered there were 2 different files for launching vlc......vlc and vlc1. Upon looking at the vlc1 file I noticed that it does have the command to turn off the screen power down. So, I changed my shortcut accordingly and it appears to be fine now.

Any way to add the monitor power setting options to be adjusted in the monitor settings or a power management link???