[solved] GnuCash install problem

Business software, financial software, etc.
WeeBaldie2

[solved] GnuCash install problem

#1 Post by WeeBaldie2 »

Hi

I recently resurrected an ancient Win XP laptop by putting on a full hard disk install of Precise Puppy version 5.7.1. The old girl (after three install attempts!) now flies like the wind and I'm delighted with her new lease of life.

However, I'm a total Linux and Puppy newbie (as you've probably already noticed) and really wanted it to run GnuCash. I used to run GnuCash in the laptop's previous Windows incarnation and thought it would be simple to reinstall.

Apart from a massive download - over 100 Mb - it appeared to install perfectly and all dependencies seemed okay. However, when I tried running GnuCash, I got the following error message:

"Cannot find default values

"The configuration data used to specify default values for GnuCash cannot be found in the default system locations. Without this data GnuCash will still operate properly but it may require some extra time to setup. Do you wish to setup the configuration data?"

I clicked on the Setup option, then to install the configuration data into the home directory and to let GnuCash correct the problem. The screen then said:

"When you click Apply, GnuCash will install the gconf data into your local ~/.gconf file and restart the gconf backend. The update-gnucash-gconf script must be in your search path for this to work correctly."

I clicked Apply but got another error message:

"Failed to execute child process "update-gnucash-gconf" (No such file or directory.)"

I used Pfind to search for update-gnucash-gconf but it said no files existed.

I've been reading loads of postings here and on the various puppylinux sites and am wondering if I made a mistake in doing a full hard disk install? Is this connected with the difficulty installing SFS files on a full install? I can't see on the Puppy Package Manager whether GnuCash is a SFS or a PET file?

Apologies for rambling. Anyway, now I'm stuck and don't know what to try next. Any suggestions will be very appreciated!

Dave
Last edited by WeeBaldie2 on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

WeeBaldie2

Solved

#2 Post by WeeBaldie2 »

Just to advise that the problem is now solved:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175549402/