SlackBones x86_64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jamesbond

#46 Post by jamesbond »

This is a prototype , right?
As in? :D
I noticed that pmount from Fatdog is included, even though there is no mention of it that I have seen. Are there any other Puppy/Fatdog specific utilities in there like resize-save-file etc.?
1. Drive icons
2. Save session (at shutdown)
3. Pmount
4. Filemnt
4. Remaster
Lastly, is it safe to assume the boot parameters from Fatdog 6.11 also apply to Slackbones?
Yes.
Just so you know, I’m quite enthusiastic about Slackbones. It’s like a bare-bones Fatdog on steroids, and I’m a huge fan of Fatdog!
Thanks. Slackbone is Fatdog's barebones :)
is there code to rewrap sfs into intrd. Still on a learning curve with this method of running a puppy version.
If you click an initrd (or initrd.gz), it will be un-packed in /tmp. Put any SFS you want and then click the re-pack script. If you want to see how all these work, look into the /usr/sbin/filemnt script.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

2byte

#47 Post by 2byte »

As in? :D
Potentially, if not already, the best bare bones Puppy ever 8)

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

Convert PETS to TXZ

Since you can't install .PET packages in Slackbones I made a handy utility so that you can! I haven't tested that they install yet but I don't see any problems. I built the TXZ package with the utility itself.

http://01micko.no-ip.org/testing/pet2tx ... ch_PET.txz

Hope this helps! (translate: "hope it works!")

Install:

Code: Select all

/sbin/installpkg pet2txz-0.2-noarch_PET.txz
EDIT: fixed a minor bug and also uses /sbin/makepkg if available
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Q5sys

#49 Post by Q5sys »

01micko wrote:Since you can't install .PET packages in Slackbones I made a handy utility so that you can! I haven't tested that they install yet but I don't see any problems. I built the TXZ package with the utility itself.

http://01micko.no-ip.org/testing/pet2tx ... ch_PET.txz

Hope this helps! (translate: "hope it works!")

Install:

/sbin/installpkg pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz
Yea that was actually by design. lol
Im sure some people will want to install Pets, so this will be helpful for them.
As for official releases, packages will be in TXZ format and not PET format. Since this is all new and shiny, I wanted to avoid the eventual conflict of people installing pet packages.
The official repo will contain only TXZ packages which will be confirmed to work and have no issues.
Un-officially, people can do whatever they want. But support outside mainline packages will be limited.

01micko

#50 Post by 01micko »

Q5sys wrote:Yea that was actually by design. lol
..and I agree with that design!

It does install, but with a warning..

# /sbin/installpkg pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz
Verifying package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz.
Installing package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz installed.

# pet2txz
Usage:
pet2txz somepet.pet -- produces a Slackware .txz file
pet2txz -v -- states version
pet2txz -v -- shows this help
NOTE: "PET" is clearly appended to the packagename in every instance, that is by design . And of course "USE AT OWN RISK".

Q5sys

#51 Post by Q5sys »

01micko wrote:
Q5sys wrote:Yea that was actually by design. lol
..and I agree with that design!

It does install, but with a warning..

# /sbin/installpkg pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz
Verifying package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz.
Installing package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz installed.

# pet2txz
Usage:
pet2txz somepet.pet -- produces a Slackware .txz file
pet2txz -v -- states version
pet2txz -v -- shows this help
Im glad you made it... it will help some people who just want to make a simple system for themselves. I've seen too many people come into the IRC channel for help running slacko and wondering why a pet package doesnt work or why other programs are suddenly broken... only to find out after talking to them it was a pet package from a v4.0 puppy. This is exacerbated by the fact that Pets have no distinction between ones made for Presice (debian based), or slacko (slackware based).
I think everyone can agree our package format system is a complete and utter mess.

The other reason the plan is to stick with offical txz packages in the repo has to do with the eventual coming Slackbones Official repo.
And the eventual goal of making Slackbones into a rolling release. For official releases, PETS add a possible fault point, which I'd like to avoid. For personal systems though outside the mainline release... Pets will be helpful to some users.

the whole rolling release thing will take quite a while to get right. I've figured out the technical process for it to work even with a frugal install, but turning theory into practice... well that's the challange. :P

rdog

no keyboard at console

#52 Post by rdog »

Hi,
I am trying Slackbones and noticed that when using an encrypted save file my USB keyboard is not functioning such that I can enter the password for the save file while booting. The keyboard works in the grub menu but by the time the password prompt appears it is not.

I haven't had any issues before with other puppy versions so... in case this is something to fix I figured I would mention it.

Thanks,
Rob

slackfan

#53 Post by slackfan »

Yes!

Hi

It also was my question:
koulaxizis wrote:Can i work a 32bit distro on this?
and I did see the answer of Iguleder (look at his own home page and Shahor Black distro).

I have a laptop with AMD64 but I also have ill eyes and need a better screen as the laptop give me... so I use mainly a older PC but with high resolution screen. ok, I would be able to connect that screen also on the laptop with better technical performances as the old PC but I always have in this case the empty screen of the laptop between keyboard and high resolution screen. it is bad as long term solution... and I know no way to eliminate the build in screen from laptop (4..5 years old acer emachine).

so I find I need a distro available in 2 or 3 forms:

- for i686
- for AMD64
- and (only perhaps) for i386.

exactly the same scope of applications because I will not change my habit changing the PC (it is problematic enough with changing keyboard!)...

it is possible in typical full installed distro like Debian, Slackware, Mandriva, Ubuntu etc.

not in Puppy :x

not in Shahor :?

why not? because each hobby coder felt the need to present something different by nature of what was done before...

Shahor would perhaps be a maximal solution for me as I absolutely will promote the libre software original made by or for GNU and beneficiant approval of GNU (this is also a weakness of Puppy: not enough consideration for GNU software). but I need a way to se my usual news video on the most important European TV channels. black is not enough as permanent state of evolution (I often use SliTaz base started as ISO using Grub2. SliTaz also offers Libre Linux but not the other needed Icecat, gnash, as the old Puppy-Puplet made by Iguleder from Debian did offer in the past :wink: etc. - I continue to often use it, as we did not become some new one :lol: !)

And I hate OS where windows open themselves as well as bars beeing masked, hidden by other applications as it is usually the case with the bad wbar (a good bar has to be where each new line begins after hitting RETURN, left in Occidental, right in Semitic language and only Asiatic languages write from top to bottom...) : It is not Linux but only distraction. I have no need of save file or front ends to fill up the scripts beeing in /etc, /root or /home/myself!

Kind regards

Iguleder

#54 Post by Iguleder »

slackfan wrote:why not? because each hobby coder felt the need to present something different by nature of what was done before...
There are many reasons to support less architectures:
- It saves time: when you update a package, you need to compile it only once. In my case, I only build it for x86_64, so I can use my own machine for compiling.
- It's cheaper: no need to buy machines of different architectures or make heavy use of virtualization. For example, I don't have the money to buy a smartphone or some expensive ARM development board to port my distro to ARMv7.
- The desire to stop promoting the use of legacy architectures which pull back software for others. For example, in the case of Windows, most software is available for i686 but not x86_64.
- If you request an i386 port today, who knows what other users might want - someone might request an ARMv4, PowerPC or Itanium port tomorrow. This is a big burden for developers.

And besides, you can use a x86_64 distro to do x86 development, using chroot. That's what I do when I want to make something for Puppy - I just chroot into a Puppy (different one every time :lol:) from my x86_64 distro - I get my favorite window manager and familiar programs, but my work is 100% compatible.

EDIT: Q5sys, you're doing great work here! I totally agree with your decision to focus on x86_64.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

2byte

#55 Post by 2byte »

Q5sys or Jamesbond

My /usr/lib64 in the sb64_devx.sfs is not correct. There are many directories that should not exist, from /libasound.la to /libz.a. The corresponding *.la & *.a files are inside of these directories instead of /lib64.

It kind of makes compiling anything a wee bit difficult.

Is this a OS build issue or is my devx file corrupt?

Q5sys

#56 Post by Q5sys »

2byte wrote:Q5sys or Jamesbond

My /usr/lib64 in the sb64_devx.sfs is not correct. There are many directories that should not exist, from /libasound.la to /libz.a. The corresponding *.la & *.a files are inside of these directories instead of /lib64.

It kind of makes compiling anything a wee bit difficult.

Is this a OS build issue or is my devx file corrupt?
Im on the road right now and dont have access to my home machine to dig into this. can you crank out a MD5 for the devx file? I'll compare it to the ones I have on my machine. its possible I bundled a bad one when I made the ISO.
I would have hoped if that happened though someone else would have noticed it.

As for the other comments above... Ill comment on those when I get home and have time (hopefully tomorrow).

2byte

#57 Post by 2byte »

Q5sys wrote:I would have hoped if that happened though someone else would have noticed it
Yeah, that's why I wonder if it's my file here. Here's my MD5

fe68c54de11ef4ca55feb52a2bf8db3f  ./sb64_devx.sfs
I'll download again and double check it. Will report back.

2byte

#58 Post by 2byte »

I checked both isos at slackbones.org & smokey01.com
Both have the same MD5 as mine and a visual check of the contents shows the same issue.

Q5sys

#59 Post by Q5sys »

2byte wrote:I checked both isos at slackbones.org & smokey01.com
Both have the same MD5 as mine and a visual check of the contents shows the same issue.
2byte wrote:I checked both isos at slackbones.org & smokey01.com
I checked my slackbones development directory on my home system... I have multiple versions of the devx, based on all the alpha versions Jamesbond and I were working on.
I see the same thing in some of them, and not in others. The one thats bundled in the ISO has this issue.
We were working on a updated release right now, so this will be fixed with that. I'll repack the 1.0 release ISO at the same time.
The next release 1.2 will have a newer kernel and a few other tweaks, but nothing massively different.

01micko

#60 Post by 01micko »

Just a note that I have now deleted the slackbones-V1.0 ISO image from the smokey01 server. An upgrade is imminent anyway so it should not affect anyone.

2byte

#61 Post by 2byte »

You know, it's kind of funny. In an odd sort of way. I installed quite a few apps with gslapt and slapt-get and even compiled a couple from source and built a couple with slack.builds. The lib64 problem didn't show up until I tried to build a new lxpanel.

Go figure.

jamesbond

#62 Post by jamesbond »

Problem acknowledged. Fix is coming.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

2byte

desktop fails to load sometimes

#63 Post by 2byte »

I've been debating with myself on whether not to even mention this, because I'm not sure this isn't a firmware or hardware problem. But since there was a similar report on the Fatdog 6.20 beta thread, well here you go, just in case it's relevant.

Once every 6 or so cold boots I fail to get a desktop and Slackbones leaves me at the command prompt. Then, if I give it the xwin command it boots to a normal desktop. That's all it takes, xwin. This particular box is a circa 2006 1.8 ghz AMD with 512 MB ram and on board radeon 300G. I have installed with gslapt xf86-video-ati and mesa.

xorg.0.log at line 366 when the desktop fails

[     9.681] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported. 
xorg.0.log at line 366 when the desktop loads

[  1165.858] (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled. 
/var/log/messages reports several times, if I get a desktop or not ..

Feb 19 09:01:10 slackbone64-d41 daemon.err udevd[2121]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/firmware' 'firmware --firmware=radeon/R300_cp.bin --devpath=/devices/platform/radeon_cp.0/firmware/radeon_cp.0': No such file or directory 
The messages and xorg logs are attached.

Regards,
2byte
Attachments
boot-video-fail.tar.gz
(55.07 KiB) Downloaded 576 times

Q5sys

Re: desktop fails to load sometimes

#64 Post by Q5sys »

2byte wrote:I've been debating with myself on whether not to even mention this, because I'm not sure this isn't a firmware or hardware problem. But since there was a similar report on the Fatdog 6.20 beta thread, well here you go, just in case it's relevant.

Once every 6 or so cold boots I fail to get a desktop and Slackbones leaves me at the command prompt. Then, if I give it the xwin command it boots to a normal desktop. That's all it takes, xwin. This particular box is a circa 2006 1.8 ghz AMD with 512 MB ram and on board radeon 300G. I have installed with gslapt xf86-video-ati and mesa.

xorg.0.log at line 366 when the desktop fails

[     9.681] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported. 
xorg.0.log at line 366 when the desktop loads

[  1165.858] (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled. 
/var/log/messages reports several times, if I get a desktop or not ..

Feb 19 09:01:10 slackbone64-d41 daemon.err udevd[2121]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/firmware' 'firmware --firmware=radeon/R300_cp.bin --devpath=/devices/platform/radeon_cp.0/firmware/radeon_cp.0': No such file or directory 
The messages and xorg logs are attached.

Regards,
2byte
Slackbones v1.2 will be released by the end of the week. So when that drops, check to see if you get the same result. If you do let us know.
We've just got a few final things to tweak before we put out the next release.

Q5sys

#65 Post by Q5sys »

Slackbones v1.2 released.

Download: http://slackbones.org/isos/v1.2/slackbo ... x86_64.iso
Mirror: https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppys ... ce=updater
Md5: http://slackbones.org/isos/v1.2/slackbo ... 64.iso.md5
Package list: http://slackbones.org/isos/v1.2/slacklist
Devx Package list: http://slackbones.org/isos/v1.2/slacklist-dev

Updated Kernel used in FatDog 620 Beta thanks to Kirk.
Slackbones v1.2 is UEFI and SecureBoot capable thanks to JamesBond.