SlackBones x86_64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Q5sys

SlackBones x86_64

#1 Post by Q5sys »

SlackBones is a release for anyone who is interested in creating a 64bit Puppy release, all the heavy lifting has already been done. This is for lack of a better term a developmental release. You can take this release, add what packages you want, build in any functionality you can dream up; and remaster.

This release has only the minimal required applications so the system can boot, load into X. It includes Openbox window manager, LXpanel, Rox-Filer, and Slackware's Package tools.
The package tools have been included for future functionality. There is no browser included by default. You are welcome to wget firefox or any other browser you'd like. For simplicity I have included Dillo and GFTP on the ISO, they are under /Add-ons/. I did not include this in the base SFS so that future devs can install whatever browser they would like.

Also inside the /Add-ons sub dir is an auto extraction scripts for TXZ and TGZ files and the Edit SFS package.
In the root dir of the ISO is the devx.sfs and the kernel sources

Many thanks to JamesBond for his unbelievable assistance in this release. While the overall design and vision was from Q5sys, JamesBond did alot of the coding work.

Version 1.0
This release comes with the 3.6.6 kernel. Future kernels will be available... in the future.
For the rest of the included packages please see: Slackbones Packages

Primary Download link:
ISO: Slackbones v1
MD5: MD5DUM

Primary Backup Mirror:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppys ... es/files/?

Version 1.2

Jump to v1.2 thread discussion starts on here

Download: ISO
Mirror: SourceForge Mirror
Md5: Md5
v1.2 Package List
v1.2 Devx Package List

Updated Kernel used in FatDog 620 Beta thanks to Kirk.
Slackbones v1.2 is UEFI and SecureBoot capable thanks to JamesBond.

Q5sys and Meeki are currently working on establishing a dedicated repo for Slackbones.
This will be released as soon as we are able to make sure everything works smoothly and efficiently.

EDIT:
Meeki has decided to pull back from development due to lack of time. This unfortunately places the REPO on hold for right now, as I was dependent on his scripting skill.
But that's not the end... I am busy working on v2.0 of Slackbones, that I hope to have out by 01 June 2013.
Last edited by Q5sys on Tue 07 May 2013, 01:58, edited 13 times in total.

James C

#2 Post by James C »

Getting a 403 forbidden error when attempting to download.
Attachments
error.JPG
(25.8 KiB) Downloaded 8224 times

ally

#3 Post by ally »

^^^^^^^

me too.......

:)

Q5sys

#4 Post by Q5sys »

James C wrote:Getting a 403 forbidden error when attempting to download.
Fixed... I forgot to set the perms on the file to 644.

James C

#5 Post by James C »

Q5sys wrote:
James C wrote:Getting a 403 forbidden error when attempting to download.
Fixed... I forgot to set the perms on the file to 644.
Working now. Thanks. :)

ETP

SlackBones x86_64

#6 Post by ETP »

Q5sys,
This looks very interesting but I am struggling with the D/L. Can you confirm the MD5 as this is what I keep seeing?
Attachments
screenshot.15.png
(8.34 KiB) Downloaded 7467 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Q5sys

Re: SlackBones x86_64

#7 Post by Q5sys »

ETP wrote:Q5sys,
This looks very interesting but I am struggling with the D/L. Can you confirm the MD5 as this is what I keep seeing?
I just checked on the server and then downloaded the file to my local drive and the md5 sums match.
are you using some multi threaded download client?

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

Hi

Install via cheat frugal... added nouveau.modeset=0 to kernel line to get a desktop, (I already knew that vesa only is shipped :wink: ), I think generally "nomodeset" for all cards is the go IIRC.

Anyway, my forcedeth card (which LAN is plugged) wasn't seen, didn't bother debugging just plugged my realtek (second card), didn't save and rebooted.

Ran slapt-get --update to refresh repo info, then slapt-get -i mozilla-firefox (yes folks, in Slackware the "mozilla-" prefix is required :wink: ) and also installed nouveau, but I think I'll need a reboot to get that going. Vesa don't like my 1366x768 res. Never has in any pup.

More later....

LATER...

reboot after changing my kernel line to nouveau.modeset=1 (could, nay should have just deleted the entry), ran xorgwizard, chose nouveau, auto, all good, now my screen res is nice 8)

PS: just a tip, quick text console based editor.. slapt-get -i nano ..dunno why but I like it, and use it often.

LATER (2) ...

Ok.. couldn't resist some customisation ,, (gimp works but needed a bunch of deps.. try Salix for package lists, has all the stock Slackware PACKAGES.TXT with deps, I believe slapt-get can resolve them fine :wink: ). tempiconsvg works too, running ok without any cpu scaling. :)
EDIT: no, Salix x86_64 dep info is broken, showing i486 packages! i have emailed gapan, Salix maintainer. Besides, they don't mirror the slack repo anyway, just the dep info in PACKAGES.TXT.

Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Q5sys

#9 Post by Q5sys »

01micko,
thanks for the feedback. i forgot to mention about nomodeset but most devs should know thats the situation with vesa by now.
im working on a repo now with dependency resolution, but ive gotta get the scripts from jaos to work properly. right now ive got something wrong. the extra fields are not being written into the packages.txt file.
once i get that resolved then ill release the repo for slackbones and start work on adding new packages and setting up a way for others to submit packages as well.
gotta patch xarchiver for ntive xz support as well for everyone, since im planning on sticking with the txz format for packaging.

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

Q5sys wrote:01micko,
thanks for the feedback. i forgot to mention about nomodeset but most devs should know thats the situation with vesa by now.
im working on a repo now with dependency resolution, but ive gotta get the scripts from jaos to work properly. right now ive got something wrong. the extra fields are not being written into the packages.txt file.
once i get that resolved then ill release the repo for slackbones and start work on adding new packages and setting up a way for others to submit packages as well.
gotta patch xarchiver for ntive xz support as well for everyone, since im planning on sticking with the txz format for packaging.
In the meantime, I packaged geany, built from slackbuild in slackbones, just stock, no optimisation, or xz compression.

Install with: /sbin/installpkg geany*

EDIT: now just posting the link to my repo @smokey01 for slackbones. All packages are suffixed "SlackBone" and xz compressed now.

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slackwa ... ackware64/

Currently in repo:

xap/geany
xap/gpicview
xap/flashplayer
scripts/get_libreoffice .... REQUIRES: gettext ( slapt-get -i gettext )
system/tempiconsvg .... SUGGESTS lm_sensors (not required)

Current Sfs

google-chrome-23_x86_64.sfs CHECKSUM:04a750be1b319d1b3c160e79cf91e163
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:01, edited 6 times in total.

Q5sys

#11 Post by Q5sys »

01micko wrote:
Q5sys wrote:01micko,
In the meantime, I packaged geany, built from slackbuild in slackbones, just stock, no optimisation, or xz compression.

Install with: /sbin/installpkg geany*

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slackwa ... _SBo-1.tgz
appreciate it.
if anyone does make a package. (any format)
you can submit it to the site.
ftp:
user: submit@slackbones.org (full address is the username)
pass: !*puppy#linux*! (remove the # from the password)

anything submitted will be tested before added to the official repo.

01micko

#12 Post by 01micko »

I don't intend to submit any packages (thus far, time limitations), but I will set up my repo such that it can be used with a PACKAGES.TXT and all. Users can pick and choose then. Anything I package will be basically standard SBo, unless it's script based (such as I got my get_libreoffice script working, may package that, and tempicon, although that is a binary, I may make a SlackBuild for it, it does actually work in Slackware too [<ot> and raspberry pi distros</ot>]).

Cheers

Q5sys

#13 Post by Q5sys »

01micko wrote:I don't intend to submit any packages (thus far, time limitations), but I will set up my repo such that it can be used with a PACKAGES.TXT and all. Users can pick and choose then. Anything I package will be basically standard SBo, unless it's script based (such as I got my get_libreoffice script working, may package that, and tempicon, although that is a binary, I may make a SlackBuild for it, it does actually work in Slackware too [<ot> and raspberry pi distros</ot>]).

Cheers
that way to submit packages is open to anyone in the community. i didnt expect you to build much since you are wrapped up with slacko. do you mind id i go ahead and include geany in the forthcoming official repo?
im still waiting on my rasberry pi to show up in the mail... so i havent gotten around to messing with the arm stuff. i cant wait though!
have you delved into the slapt-get repo script for dependency resolution at all before?

01micko

#14 Post by 01micko »

Q5sys wrote: that way to submit packages is open to anyone in the community. i didnt expect you to build much since you are wrapped up with slacko. do you mind id i go ahead and include geany in the forthcoming official repo?
Anything i post there is fair game 8) . Note now that I'm adding the "Slackbone" suffix and compressing xz. the older gz package is deleted though the contents are identical. I'll maintain a list in my second post of the thread, at least it's on the first page. Just added flashplayer.

Q5sys

#15 Post by Q5sys »

01micko wrote:
Q5sys wrote: that way to submit packages is open to anyone in the community. i didnt expect you to build much since you are wrapped up with slacko. do you mind id i go ahead and include geany in the forthcoming official repo?
Anything i post there is fair game 8) . Note now that I'm adding the "Slackbone" suffix and compressing xz. the older gz package is deleted though the contents are identical. I'll maintain a list in my second post of the thread, at least it's on the first page. Just added flashplayer.
Appreciate the help! :)
Im planning on building a bunch of programs this weekend. So far the list includes:
GIMP 2.8
xarchiver with full XZ support
arora
filezilla
htop
iptraf
kvirc
nano
nethogs
openssl
pidgin
qbittorrent
strace
sysstat
traceroute
TrueCrypt
yakuake

jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

Two things:

1. Use kernel parameter "keepvar". The system will automatically clean out everything inside /var during restart unless this parameter is set. It works fine for Fatdog, but slackware keeps a lot of stuff in /var (e.g - list of installed packages), so if you don't keep the content of var, well - lotsa things will break sooner or later (e.g. can't uninstall packages). I should make it the default in the future.

2. Q5sys, before you burn your time building those packages, it is worthwhile to check what slackware already has, I think things like sysstat and traceroute is already there. Go and get http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/ ... NIFEST.bz2 and it will show you which package contains the file; alternatively, boot to Slackbones and use "slackpkg --file-search xxxx" to search for a package that contains xxxx.

3. I deposited xarchiver with xz and txz patch to the incoming ftp directory.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

jamesbond wrote:Two things:{ added by me 3 things? }

1. Use kernel parameter "keepvar". The system will automatically clean out everything inside /var during restart unless this parameter is set. It works fine for Fatdog, but slackware keeps a lot of stuff in /var (e.g - list of installed packages), so if you don't keep the content of var, well - lotsa things will break sooner or later (e.g. can't uninstall packages). I should make it the default in the future.
Ah, that explains why I had to update slack-pkg after a reboot. Yes, things will break!.

Added get_libreoffice and tempiconsvg (hacked for no startup folder, uses openbox autostart script in ~/.config/openbox, the "proper" way) to my repo.

Ah. Good, "keepvar" works. Guess i need to reinstall now :lol: . Anyway, mostly what I've done is uploaded, not too much. :)

koulaxizis

#18 Post by koulaxizis »

Can i work a 32bit distro on this?
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

Iguleder

#19 Post by Iguleder »

Got all these, built automatically under both a Slackware 14.0 (x86_64) and Ubuntu 12.04 (i686):

Code: Select all

libsigc++
shed
vim
linux-source
advancecomp
bitlbee
elinks
tudu
dropbear
aspell6-en
terminus-font
unnethack
slock
screen
libav
abook
optipng
rxvt-unicode
snownews
gpm
fetchmail
msmtp
ncdu
fbset
surfraw
dash
aria2
bwm-ng
libtorrent
fbpdf
locale-gen
fbshot
mktemp
linux-headers
cmus
busybox
irssi
syslinux
squashfs-tools
lftp
fbv
linux
vifm
libbsd
licenses
cddetect
setvol
cgtkcalc
elspci
xload
aufs3-util
bcrypt
bbc_provided
ddcprobe
getcurpos
915resolution
dhcpcd
aqualung
maildrop
cwm
rtorrent
figlet
aspell
xdotool
htop
dtach
frost
roar-ng-ii
mplayer2
calcurse
dvtm
iana-etc
mutt
bash
I can cross-compile them to any other architecture. The list contains some Puppy-specific packages (e.g elspci) and I'm working on more build scripts for such packages.

I want to make the building of all packages under Packages-puppy-common-official automated, so we can port Puppy to x86_64 or any other architecture easily. It's an on-'n-off project I've been working on for months now.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

LateAdopter

#20 Post by LateAdopter »

There's an error in the link in the first post. It should be:

http://slackbones.org/info/slackbones-v1-packages.txt