wireless approach using iogear device

weatheredman

wireless approach using iogear device

#1 Post by weatheredman »

I have a slightly different approach, which I think is inexpensive, very easy, and widely adaptable. It doesn't easily fit in the categories defined so far: PCI, PCMCIA, or USB. I invite a forum moderator to rearrange my comments as desired.
It's a Wireless N Universal adapter, manufactured by IOGEAR (www.iogear.com), model GWU627. It cost me $40 at MicroCenter here in Denver.
I say it doesn't fit in the usual categories because Puppy (I'm using 5.2.8) sees it as an ethernet (eth0) interface. The box, about 3" X 2" X 1", pulls the wireless signal out of the air and puts it onto an ethernet cable (supplied) plugged into your ethernet card. I'm using an old RTL3129, but I suspect any reasonably common card would work.
My DSL wireless broadcaster is an ActionTec PK5000, broadcasting 802.11b/g; I was concerned the IOGEAR box wouldn't "see" the b/g signal properly, because some 802.11n manufacturers don't implement backward compatibility properly (or don't give a darn). No problem with the IOGEAR box.
The instruction booklet, which is easy to understand but a little hard to read (small print) covers setup quite well. The box contains some firmware, which one can access through Firefox or a comparable browser. You assign a fixed IP to the box, open up the firmware routine, let it search for the wireless signal you want, tell the box to connect to that, then go back to whatever operating system you're in (I used Windows XP), assign it a DHCP slot, and, Shazam, you're in business.
Even I can handle this, and I'm certainly not a guru. Took about 15 minutes, after I figured out how easy it really was - i.e., use Windows.
IOGEAR offers a discount on follow-on purchases, so, if you have a friend struggling with wireless Puppy, make a deal. I think this system would work with just about any Puppy (or Linux) version; after all, it's fundamentally hooking up an Ethernet port.
BTW, IOGEAR also advertises this as an interface to a BluRay device, internet-enabled TV, or a game set. I haven't tried any of those - yet.
The device is powered from the USB interface (if you wish) or from a 120v plug-in wall socket.
weatheredman