ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simargl

ArchPup 12.12.2

#1 Post by simargl »

ArchPup is minimalistic Puppy Linux variant, built using Arch Linux packages,
with pacman installed and configured as default package manager.
Combining speed and low resource requirements from Puppy Linux with this
powerful and efficient package manager, ArchPup provides a light-weight,
portable operating system and gives full control to the end user. Obviously
this OS would not be possible without Arch Linux developers and Mr. Barry Kauler,
so we owe them a big 'thank you'.
People behind ArchPup:
Developer: simargl
Contributors: mavrothal, stifiling
Ideas and suggestions: peebee, oui, darkcity

Next version Planning phase

UPDATE: 12.12.2, January 9th, 2013
This release is made with two main goals: include linux-firmware into main iso in order to
achieve better support for wireless internet cards, and keep iso size below 80 MB.
Actually, latest ArchPup iso with size 78 MB is smaller than ever. To make this possible I
removed some applications (like pacmanxg) and unneeded files from /usr/lib/gconv and
/usr/share/i18n/charmaps. New terminal sakura which allows right click copy/paste was added
to replace urxvt. Main iso now comes with two sfs included archpup.sfs and adrv.sfs.
adrv.sfs contains all graphical applications and window manager related stuff, so it is
now easy to remaster and use language, DE, window manager... of your choice. Also, I want to
thank all users who posted comments on this forum, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Release notes for ArchPup-12.12.1
Twenty days after first release, I am pleased to announce update for version 12.12,
which includes many bug fixes, together with some additional applications and scripts:
- added PacmanXG4 - graphical frontend for pacman,
- yaourt replaces packer (If you want to build packages from AUR, first run this in terminal: update-ca-certificates),
- notification support using xfce4-notifyd,
- added wvdial - a dialer program to connect to the Internet,
- lxtask replaces htop,
- fixed executing pinstall.sh and puninstall.sh scripts inside sfs module,
- help section with following topics explained: Install ArchPup to USB or HDD,
Manage packages with pacman, Using ArchPup specific scripts,
- changed user accounts, unprivileged user name is arch, read documentation
to find out user passwords ;)
- arch2sfs and makesfs scripts, for easy sfs module creation,
- new logout dialog.

Changes in version 12.12:
- Upgraded to latest Arch Linux packages from December 2012
(glibc-2.16, gcc-4.7.2, linux-3.6.8, xorg-server-1.13.0, mesa-9.0.1...)
- Moved squashfs-tools to main iso
- Added grub4dos config
- Fixed saving session on first reboot

Download from SourceForge.net
archpup-12.12.2.iso

Recomended
Applications module containing: firefox, flashplugin, evince, smplayer, deadbeef, xarchiver,
transmission, smtube, faience-icon-theme, image-enlarger, gpicview...
archapps-12.12.sfs

Optional
Development add-on with gcc, perl, python2, musl, cmake, git, mercurial, bzr, vala, subversion...
archdev-12.12.sfs
linux-3.6.8-12.12.sfs
md5sums.txt

Screenshot thumbnails (click for larger image)
Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by simargl on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:53, edited 28 times in total.

oui

#2 Post by oui »

Hi
Thank you very much sigmargl!
rgds

PS1: which files are to copy into a new remasterised version over the ones being in pup_ro2 to preserve the full functionality of the actual new stand of the dynamic menu of ArchPup?
PS2: what is to do to stick an icon more (for ex. browser icon) in the left bar in the remasterised version?
PS3: how to remove the moved squashfs-tools to main iso back to the tool sfs to let the main iso as smal as possible (alone Geany take a lot of MB before squashing! the place of development tools is not in the main ISO if you want to avoid that your very small puplet has to be preserved small! user can bind the development SFS with 2 hits on the SFS!)

simargl

#3 Post by simargl »

oui wrote:PS1: which files are to copy into a new remasterised version over the ones being in pup_ro2 to preserve the full functionality of the actual new stand of the dynamic menu of ArchPup?
PS2: what is to do to stick an icon more (for ex. browser icon) in the left bar in the remasterised version?
PS3: how to remove the moved squashfs-tools to main iso back to the tool sfs to let the main iso as smal as possible (alone Geany take a lot of MB before squashing! the place of development tools is not in the main ISO if you want to avoid that your very small puplet has to be preserved small! user can bind the development SFS with 2 hits on the SFS!)
Just remove /root/.cache/menus, and openbox menu will recreate itself.
To add icons in launcher (tint2-svn), go to System->tint2->edit config file. Find launcher line, It looks like this, and add what you want.

Code: Select all

# Launcher
launcher_padding = 2 2 2
launcher_background_id = 9
launcher_icon_size = 48
# Specify icon theme names with launcher_icon_theme. 
# if you have an XSETTINGS manager running (like xfsettingsd), tint2 will follow your current theme.
launcher_icon_theme = Faenza
# Each launcher_item_app must be a full path to a .desktop file
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/urxvt.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/clementine.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/geany.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop
squashfs-tools is only 80KB, and it has just one dependency lzo2 (110KB)
For files that belong to that package see /var/lib/spkg/installed/squashfs-tools/files.list, and
remove them manually or install my package manager. Geany is 1.1MB, there are probably
smaller text editors, but I really like geany (for text highlight etc.) :)

oui

#4 Post by oui »

hi simargl

I did play a little with it. a GREAT Linux really! It is a special pleasure to are able to use a really adult packager in such a very small Linux :idea: !

Squashfs: ok! You are right.

Editor: Nano is build in so that Geany is only needed in a development package!

I did see that Cups is build in but will not start both in Firefox or Seamonkey.

The new look and screen info are optimal!

king rgds

Note: at you place I would advise http://www.distrowatch.com :wink:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 887#671887
Last edited by oui on Mon 17 Dec 2012, 15:48, edited 3 times in total.

simargl

#5 Post by simargl »

oui wrote:I did see that Cups is build in but will not start both in Firefox or Seamonkey.
cupsd service in /etc/init.d is from original woof rootfs, and cups is installed
with all dependencies. You might see this guide
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU ... r_packages
to install gutenprint foomatic and load linux-firmware sfs. See if right kernel
modules are loaded with lsmod.

oui

#6 Post by oui »

oh! ok...

which files would be to erase to remake begin the installation of Cups completely new with pacman?

Next question:

how to introduce an commando line application installed with pacman in the thunar list of available applications to select to open a kind of file (especially mplayer2, it works really good without frontend! but it would be more confortable to hit on the icone of videos in thunar instead to enter the all commando line with the long name usually used for videos.. :wink: )

simargl

#7 Post by simargl »

To reinstall cups

pacman -Sf cups
For making automatic file associations, if you've downloaded archapps.sfs, this command

update-desktop-database
That will make pdf file open with evince, mp3 with deadbeef, archives with xarchiver...
I wanted to add this in pinstall.sh into sfs module, but it didn't work.

mikeslr

Interest in ArchPup

#8 Post by mikeslr »

HI simargl,

Just wanted you to know that I'm following your efforts closely, but don't have the skill set to be of any assistance. In fact, posting problems I might run into would probably just slow down its development.
From the numerous past threads, posts and efforts to merge the strengths of Puppy and ArchLinux, I would guess that I am not the only "watcher in the wings."

Keep up your great work.

mikesLr

bark_bark_bark

#9 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Same complaint as last version: there is no installer.

Ray MK

#10 Post by Ray MK »

HI simargl,

I am also following your Archpup with great interest and have tried them all on my 10yr old Acer laptop.
Fantastic, especially 12.12 - absolutely superb.
Really fast, uses minimum resources, boots in no time and looks a million dollars, luvly Puppy.

I’m a novice user and have had difficulty with pwireless.
Me being dim, I’m sure. I did read the instructions but still no go.

However, it did occur to me to try to make an SFS of Frisbee or BK’s SNS
(simple network setup).

Needless to say, haven’t a clue about what to do, or what incredients are needed.

If you or someone knowledgable would be kind enough to make a wifi setup SFS for n00b’s, I would be more than greatful.
As I am sure, would be the many other silent observers, who like me are enthusiastic but confused by command-line.

ATM, posting from Magoo-v6, but would really like to get online via wifi with Archpup.

Thank you for making Archpup - I think it is a real winner.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Tote

#11 Post by Tote »

I agree! Same here, very impressed, but I don't know nearly enough to use it. :?

simargl

#12 Post by simargl »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Same complaint as last version: there is no installer.
To install on hard disk or usb copy this 3 files: archpup-1212.sfs, initrd.gz, vmlinuz
to root or your partition, and run grub4dos bootloader config from menu.
Select you disk, then in options tick search only in this device press ok and that's it.
Tote wrote:I agree! Same here, very impressed, but I don't know nearly enough to use it. :?
Just make some experiments, (first backup you savefile :wink: ). Simple example, for install and remove leafpad.

pacman -Syu
pacman -Sf leafpad
pacman -Rs leafpad
Arch has around 6000 packages in main repository and over 30000 in AUR, so everything you need will probably be there.

mavrothal

#13 Post by mavrothal »

12.12 looks really nice and the archapps sfs is a nice addition.
The savefile setup works ok on removable media, though eventually you may want not to hardcode its path.

I should suggest once more to add aufs-utilities in the build. The developer says "These utilities are always necessary for aufs".
I also on aufs I noticed that your usbsave script removes the whiteout files. This I believe will result in deletions of files in lower branches not to be permanent/possible and may generate problems with the layers.

It would also appear that udev-175 is the one from 12.04 with the problematic hot-plug support, and as before removable media are not showing in pup-volume-monitor/thunar.

Hopefully v2 will address some of these for an even better ArchPup :D

PS. You may also want to post in the 12.04 thread about 12.12. Not everybody is scouting the forum index :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Keef

#14 Post by Keef »

Manual frugal install to internal HDD.
Compaq Armada M700 850mhz and 576m RAM

I've got it up and running with wifi again - easier second time round. But...

Savefile: I've found that I need to make a savefile and not bother making any changes first time - they don't get saved. I move the savefile to the Arch directory with the other files and reboot. After that any changes get saved (this is actually what I had to do with the previous version).
However either doing logout or reboot causes a freeze. I can force a restart and run pfix=fsck, and it saves the day, but I didn't get this behaviour previously.
EDIT 'shutdown' works correctly.

Still, it is interesting to mess with, and I am starting to get used to pacman.
Last edited by Keef on Mon 17 Dec 2012, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

simargl

#15 Post by simargl »

First thanks for you comment and for discovering problems with savefile on usb earlier in version 12.04. 8)
mavrothal wrote:PS. You may also want to post in the 12.04 thread about 12.12. Not everybody is scouting the forum index :wink:
Ok, I added link to this page on old thread.
mavrothal wrote:I also on aufs I noticed that your usbsave script removes the whiteout files. This I believe will result in deletions of files in lower branches not to be permanent/possible and may generate problems with the layers.
Well I thought about this and because it's not really possible to remove files from squashfs image, they are just renamed to .wh.filename, decided to just delete this whiteout files, in pupmode 13 and when savefile is created in pupmode 5. It is possible to overwrite them, only not to remove them, because they can never be really deleted.

oui

#16 Post by oui »

hi simargl
simargl wrote:
oui wrote:I did see that Cups is build in but will not start both in Firefox or Seamonkey.
cupsd service in /etc/init.d is from original woof rootfs, and cups is installed
with all dependencies. You might see this guide
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU ... r_packages
to install gutenprint foomatic and load linux-firmware sfs. See if right kernel
modules are loaded with lsmod.
we have 2 classic software connections through localhost in puppy

- Cups
- didiwiki (is in each official Puppy since years ago! only a full hand bytes, no dependence) at localhost:8000

Copy didiwiki from an other Puppy into /usr/bin and start it as deamon (manually or in /root/.start) as it is not available at Arch depos.

It will probably start and you can try to connect to didiwiki by invocation

localhost:8000

in each browser (links, elinks, links, midori, firefox, seamonkey). never failing.

did localhost:8000 or localhost:631 work on your PC (on my PC both don't work!)?

kind rgds

James C

#17 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of ArchPup 12.12 on my Athlon XP box....along with the Archapps sfs. Zero problems. Sound,internet and display all working and correct on initial boot.
Already rebooted several times and everything is working smoothly. :)

James C

#18 Post by James C »

Just for testing purposes I also did a traditional full install of ArchPup 12.12 on an old P4 test box......... along with Xubuntu, Zenwalk ,Vector and a bunch of Puppy installs.

Still tweaking on it but working pretty well so far.

songzi

#19 Post by songzi »

Hi simargl,

wlan0 is not up after archpup is up and running. I am using it on a Thinkpad x230. Its wireless wifi module shall be Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200.

Any advice on how to load the driver module for this machine?

TIA. Like this Archpup very much. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by songzi on Tue 18 Dec 2012, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux | Arch | antiX

mavrothal

#20 Post by mavrothal »

Keef wrote:Savefile: I've found that I need to make a savefile and not bother making any changes first time - they don't get saved.
Yes, looks like the usbsave call did not make it into rc.shutdown.
If you have made a savefile you can run "usbsave" in the terminal before the first shutdown to save your first boot changes .
simargl wrote: Well I thought about this and because it's not really possible to remove files from squashfs image, they are just renamed to .wh.filename, decided to just delete this whiteout files, in pupmode 13 and when savefile is created in pupmode 5. It is possible to overwrite them, only not to remove them, because they can never be really deleted.
Is not possible to remove files from the sfs but you can remove them from the working filesystem. That's exactly why the whiteouts exist.
What about if you want to install an app that conflicts with an existing one or you want to check if a specific file causes an issue?
You may want to incorporate the whiteout-handling related code from snapmergepuppy to usbsave to make archpup with a tempfs-mounted rw-layer fully functional.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==