I moved from Slacko 5.3 to 5.4 and now have more problems

Booting, installing, newbie
consentient

I moved from Slacko 5.3 to 5.4 and now have more problems

#1 Post by consentient »

Background: I decided to install 5.4 because of a problem I had previously had on 5.3 where the X Server kept crashing at random. I was advised that 5.4 had more support for Intel graphics cards, and so I downloaded the 5.4 ISO, burnt it, booted into it, and burned the ISO to USB.

I am now running the 5.4 install and so far the X Server issue has not repeated. However:-

1. I can no longer easily write to my NTFS partitions. Previously this was no problem at all.

2. The process of saving the contents of RAM to the savefile - that happens a few times per hour - now takes an absolute age. With 5.3, my 4GB savefile never took more than 20 seconds to save. Now it takes well over a minute and the CPU usage is maxed out and nothing else works at all. Previously, I could still do other things, provided they did not use too much CPU. Now I just have to sit and wait until I can use my PC again.

This is not acceptable to me. If I can solve both of these problems in short order I will continue to use and recommend Puppy. Otherwise I will have to seek alternative OS's.

Any help is much appreciated.

SFR

Re: I moved from Slacko 5.3 to 5.4 and now have more problems

#2 Post by SFR »

consentient wrote:2. The process of saving the contents of RAM to the savefile - that happens a few times per hour - now takes an absolute age. With 5.3, my 4GB savefile never took more than 20 seconds to save. Now it takes well over a minute and the CPU usage is maxed out and nothing else works at all. Previously, I could still do other things, provided they did not use too much CPU. Now I just have to sit and wait until I can use my PC again.
Similar problem here...

Slacko-5.4-PAE, 4GB slackosave.2fs on NTFS partition (compression = off, savefile defragmented), pmedia=ataflash (to have "save-on-demand" ability).

In my case it's less predictable - sometimes works fast and smooth, sometimes even totally hangs and the only solution is power button.
It happens more often when relatively bigger files are being copied from /initrd/pup_rw to /initrd/pup_ro1.

I've noticed that using directly:

Code: Select all

cat /dev/zero > /initrd/pup_ro1/root/bigtestfile
sometimes creates the empty file smoothly (HDD led flashes until finished), but sometimes after 100-200MB, HDD led goes out for over a dozen seconds (or much longer), then just a few MB are being written and so on.

I can't find any pattern in that behavior, but hopefully my observations will help someone to find the source of the problem.

EDIT: Corrected the code above.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

This is not acceptable to me. If I can solve both of these problems in short order I will continue to use and recommend Puppy. Otherwise I will have to seek alternative OS's.
Realize that Slacko 5.4 may still have problems. You seem to have found one.
Slacko is at the cutting edge of Puppy development.
Takes a while for all the bugs to show up and get fixed.

One of the older versions of Puppy may work better for you.

As my main operating system, I use Lucid Puppy 528.005 for just that reason. It got well tested and bug fixed.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

slenkar

Re: I moved from Slacko 5.3 to 5.4 and now have more problems

#4 Post by slenkar »

consentient wrote:Background: I decided to install 5.4 because of a problem I had previously had on 5.3 where the X Server kept crashing at random. I was advised that 5.4 had more support for Intel graphics cards, and so I downloaded the 5.4 ISO, burnt it, booted into it, and burned the ISO to USB.

I am now running the 5.4 install and so far the X Server issue has not repeated. However:-

1. I can no longer easily write to my NTFS partitions. Previously this was no problem at all.

2. The process of saving the contents of RAM to the savefile - that happens a few times per hour - now takes an absolute age. With 5.3, my 4GB savefile never took more than 20 seconds to save. Now it takes well over a minute and the CPU usage is maxed out and nothing else works at all. Previously, I could still do other things, provided they did not use too much CPU. Now I just have to sit and wait until I can use my PC again.

Any help is much appreciated.
Well at least the X server doesnt crash anymore :D :D :D :D

Just politely post about the 2 new problems on the precise thread and they might get solved.