Cute, but sexist

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Pelo

Forum francophone : Dorothée

#16 Post by Pelo »

Miss Puppy :
Forum francophone : Dorothée :) nice idea.She speaks a fluent French, and practice Puppy..
Screenshot : Our English teacher preparing next lesson for her Linux colleague very weak in foreign languages (with big moustaches).
"Because Puppy is small, it can live in your PC's memory and be ready to quickly execute your commands, whereas in other systems, programs are first read from drive storage before being executed."
it can live, so Puppy is Neutral...
Attachments
Miss.jpg
This is not Dorothée !
(48.33 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#17 Post by Burn_IT »

Are there any ladies on this forum?
Wrong question!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

spiritwild

#18 Post by spiritwild »

insert religion into the story. sexism gone! poof!!

People seem to pick and choose their offenses anymore. Once I started seeing the that stupid racist meme about boycotting hobby lobby cause they sell something with dried cotton plants as decor , I knew the world was to deep in it's own shit to survive.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Why is that supposed to be racist? :?

Pelo

what should i use for Puppy , his, her, its ?

#20 Post by Pelo »

it's a topic about translation, for people having to translate. No sexism, but gender of words.

what should i use for Puppy , his, her, its ? we don't have neutral.. boats are she, in UK, if i remember school lessons., but Puppies ?
I said Miss Puppy, i see Puppy as a women in my head., and people posting are supposed to be men, excepted when avatar sounds a sex male or female.

Racist, no it was not the subject. the gender in translation was the starting debate. Don't draw topics towards where you like to go. US , Trump, let us speak of something else..some variety would not be bad.
personally i just answer the question : there are ladies on the forum.
not enough or too much would be sexist somewhere.
English people get eadache translating neutral to french, why 'une table' 'une' chaise and 'un' fauteuil.
Why 'le' Maroc, but 'la' France..
'le' Texas , Le 'Costa Rica' is strange, because Coast is translated 'la' côte

Pelo

Puppy is not 'she'

#21 Post by Pelo »

Puppy is not 'she'.. but 'it'.. Ok i got my answer. that makes me sad a little bit that Puppy is not 'she'

musher0

#22 Post by musher0 »

French from France Puppies call themselves "Toutous",
From "un toutou" [a puppy], masculine gender.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

anikin

#23 Post by anikin »

I suspect Puppy is gender fluid and a snowflake.

souleau

#24 Post by souleau »

Anyone who has ever owned a dog will acknowledge that dogs are enormous sexists.

Pelo

Chienne (dog female) as 'Bitch'

#25 Post by Pelo »

Google traduction translate Chienne (dog female) as 'Bitch'
is it really the translation ?
Some animals have no name for the opposite sex.. as seagull
One UK person living our city sait 'un mouette'? we told him 'une mouette' he answered 'how can you tell it from here ?

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

To me, the Puppy icon I've adopted as my 'mascot' can only be a 'she'. (She's too cute to ever be a boy... :lol: )

Puppy is definitely a 'she'. She's helpful, compliant, bends over backwards to accommodate ancient technology..... (hell, that sounds terribly sexist, doesn't it? Arrgh...)

And I've always thought of the old Dell lappie as a 'she'.....

(*shrug*) :shock: :roll: :D

Mike. :wink:

ahoppin

#27 Post by ahoppin »

Interesting that Finnish is gender-neutral. I didn't know that, thanks.

Sexism is baked into almost every other language. In French and Spanish (and no doubt others) the rule is that when you refer to a group of people in the plural, you always use the masculine form if there's at least one male in it, even if there are 100 females. You can only use the feminine if it's 100% female.

All nouns in these languages are gendered. German has some neuter nouns, though.

English has ungendered nouns, but as someone pointed out, English grammar rules call for using the masculine pronoun "he" or derivatives when referring to "someone."

We need a better genderless substitute than they or their, which will always be incorrect because it fails to match singular nouns in number. You can't say "someone has their idea" or even "everyone has their ideas" and be using correct grammar.

But I think it could be done, with some creativity, if people cared enough. Look at how well Ms has been incorporated into a language that used to only allow for Miss and Mrs.

To address one of Pelo's questions, yes, "bitch" is a correct English translation for Chienne, but it began falling out of use in the second half of the 20th century. That's because of the negative connotations it now carries. Most polite US speakers just say "female dog." Curiously, the term "queen" for a female cat is also seldom used any more here. Even pet rabbit owners seem to be getting away from calling their charges bucks and does.

Sorry, this has gone far afield. To get back to the original thought, one could just avoid the problem by rewording a bit: "If your friend thinks data is lost because of a corrupted hard disk, boot Puppy and try saving the data."

As for what sex (or gender if you prefer) Puppy is, I may be crazy, but I think it depends on which version. It has to do in part with the default screen icons and screen background. For example, I think the drive icons in Lucid 5.25 are male, but those in Lucid 5.28 seem female to me. The default desktop background puppies in Tahr strike me as genderless. Does that make me a sexist? I hope not.