How to set eeePC to display 1024 x 600?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
sp0

How to set eeePC to display 1024 x 600?

#1 Post by sp0 »

Have spent most of the day trying to get 1024x600 instead of 800x600 on an Asus eeePC X101CH.

The "personalise settings" option only offers 800x600 and less.
Xorgwizard offers 1024x600, but when X finishes loading it is still 800x600.

Some old posts say to use 915resolution. This says "Intel chipset detected" but cannot identify chipset ID bf18086.

Have tried:
- Slacko 5.3.3.
- Puppeee 1.0. Again, sticks to 800x600.
- Precise 5.2.2. Won't boot. Either get a black screen or a message saying it can't find the .sfs file even though that's on the boot device. (I'm using unetbootin to create USB stick).
- Reading forum posts. Hundreds of them. Many out of date, so now even more confused.
- Installing a mesa driver, and manually choosing intel driver. Neither helped.
- Installing the patched 915resolution mentioned in the forum (although other posts suggest it is no longer needed).

Help! Thanks.

sp0

#2 Post by sp0 »

If it helps, it appears this netbook has an Intel GMA 3600 series video adapter. I see some grim postings on the net suggesting this is poorly supported in Linux, although also some saying drivers are maybe now available...

Frustrating if this is no good, as I bought this tiny netbook specifically to run Puppy!

Thanks for any guidance on this.

prehistoric

#3 Post by prehistoric »

Have you tried Precise Puppy 5.4.2? This has installed w/o problems on two eee machines I know of, though I don't remember the exact graphics chips. You might also try Lupu 5.28.005 which is pretty solid now. .

FeodorF

800x600x16 resolution sounds bad - but it aint!

#4 Post by FeodorF »

I found an old S3 trio 32 graphic card and I had to give it a try with Precise Puppy 5.4.2

How does the outcome look like?

I would call it acceptable.
Attachments
800x600_NoProblemWithPuppyLinux.jpg
(89.81 KiB) Downloaded 3499 times

sp0

#5 Post by sp0 »

prehistoric wrote:Have you tried Precise Puppy 5.4.2? ...
Lupu 5.28.005 which is pretty solid now. .
Regrettably Lupu has same symptoms as others - the installer sees I have 1024x800, but by the time X has started it's only offering 800x600 or less.

As for Precise 5.4.2, I had already tried that (a typo above, sorry). What happens is that when I start it from a USB stick, created with unetbootin OR with Puppy's installer, it gets to loading kernel drivers, then blanks the screen and stays there.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Your Eee X101CH has one of the most recent Atom processors, the N2600, which is part of the "Cedarview" family. These differ significantly from earlier Atoms in that their graphics processor (model GMA3600/GMA3650) is non-Intel, it's PowerVR.
And there's no opensource Xorg graphics driver for it.

I'm presently trying to package the latest (closed-source) PowerVR graphics driver, as supplied by Intel here -
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... ldID=21938

It involves compiling a totally new AGP kernel module, and I think this new module is likely to succeed only with the latest kernels, so right now I'm setting up a compile environment for Slacko 5.4.

If you're happy to test this new package once ready, I suggest you download Slacko 5.4 in the meantime, and see if you can successfully boot to it.
It's important to get the "PAE" version of Slacko 5.4 - since I will be compiling a kernel module compatible with this version. The name of the ISO is:
slacko-5.3.9.5-opera-PAE.iso

sp0

#7 Post by sp0 »

Many thanks for working on this driver!
tempestuous wrote:download Slacko 5.4 in the meantime, and see if you can successfully boot to it.
It's important to get the "PAE" version of Slacko 5.4 - since I will be compiling a kernel module compatible with this version. The name of the ISO is:
slacko-5.3.9.5-opera-PAE.iso
Couldn't find that file but did try slacko-5.4-opera-PAE.iso and I get an error about a corrupt kernel file on booting (USB created with unetbootin).

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

OK, forget about Slacko 5.4, the new driver won't compile against its 3.4.17 kernel.
I will try an earlier Puppy version/kernel version in the next day or so.

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

sp0, I have successfully compiled the cedarview graphics driver under Slacko 5.3.3-PAE.
I should have it packaged shortly.

I suggest you get Slacko 5.3.3-PAE up and running on your Eee X101CH.

Be careful, I suspect some of your downloads are corrupt. It's best to download the ISO in Linux, and don't use the download function of a web-browser, use the commandline utility "wget" - it's extremely reliable.
So to download Slacko 5.3.3-PAE, do this -

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/where/I/want/to/download/my/iso
wget ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.3.3/slacko-5.3.3-highmem-PAE-SCSI.iso

arj_pup

#10 Post by arj_pup »

tempestuous wrote:sp0, I have successfully compiled the cedarview graphics driver under Slacko 5.3.3-PAE.
I should have it packaged shortly.

I suggest you get Slacko 5.3.3-PAE up and running on your Eee X101CH.

Be careful, I suspect some of your downloads are corrupt. It's best to download the ISO in Linux, and don't use the download function of a web-browser, use the commandline utility "wget" - it's extremely reliable.
So to download Slacko 5.3.3-PAE, do this -

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/where/I/want/to/download/my/iso
wget ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.3.3/slacko-5.3.3-highmem-PAE-SCSI.iso
we will be grateful if you upload the packaged driver or the modules, i tried to compile the stuff my self according to an intel guide myself but i was not able to load module/run x org, i might have messed things up, ill be really grateful if u do so, i am compatible with any puppy version esp slacko 5.3.3

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

I have just posted a HOWTO for Cedarview graphics support in Slacko, here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83636

arj_pup I have sent you a PM about testing the full third-party Xorg driver update.