How to connect Puppy to network? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Marcel

How to connect Puppy to network? (Solved)

#1 Post by Marcel »

PCA & PCB run Windows Vista. PCA, under Vista, connects to PCB and to Internet.
Please see attachment diagram.

PCA when running frugal install of LuPu5.2.8 (also tried Perfect Puppy) finds there is wlan0, but cannot connect.

Prior tp PCB being connected to the landline, it was connected via a wireless router, and PCA under frugal linux Lupu528 had no problem connecting. Problems only happened when PCB changed from a wireless router to a landline one.

I have been trying to connect to the new landline router – I think maybe that is my mistake. Should I be trying to connect to PCB? If so, what must I do to connect the frugally installed Puppy to the WinVista PCB?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
netwkdiag.jpg
(25.06 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Is the problem connecting pc B to eth0 with Puppy? and pc A was fine?

npierce

#3 Post by npierce »

Marcel wrote:. . . there is wlan0, but cannot connect.
Marcel wrote:Problems only happened when PCB changed from a wireless router to a landline one.
This implies that the new router is not a wireless router.

Usually the term "wireless router" refers to a router that is part of a wireless LAN (WLAN or "Wi-Fi"). If this is what you mean, then it is no surprise that Puppy cannot connect to it through wlan0.

But since you refer to the new router as a "landline one", I'm thinking that by "wireless router" you may mean that the old router connected to the mobile phone network (a.k.a. "wireless phone network").

So my first question is: does your new router support WLAN (a.k.a. "Wi-Fi")? That is, can multiple PCs connect to it without the use of cables?

If yes, then you might simply need to update your /etc/resolv.conf file. If you have switched from connecting via the mobile telephone network to the wired telephone network, you may also have a new Internet Service Provider (ISP), and they will probably have different nameservers. Or your new router may contain a nameserver, in which case you would provide the address of the router on the nameserver line in /etc/resolv.conf.

But I'm putting the cart before the horse here. I should first ask my second question: What exactly do you mean by "cannot connect"?

To answer that, please tell us which utility you are using in your attempt to connect, the steps you are taking, and any error messages you receive. This will help us to know, for instance, if "cannot connect" means that you cannot connect to the local network or just the Internet.

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

Is the problem connecting pc B to eth0 with Puppy?

If Pc B is plugged directly into router it should pick up eth0 automatically.

Marcel

#5 Post by Marcel »

The problem is: how to connect PCA to the internet, when PCA is running Lucid Puppy 528. The Vista PCB is connected to the internet via a landline - no problem there. I'm now thinking I should network PCA's Puppy to the Vista PCB, instead of trying to connect Puppy to the router.Trouble is, I don't know how to network Puppy to the Vista PCB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

Need your wirlesss dongle brand.

You need Lucid 5.28 version 5.

Run Frisbee.

You might need an additional >>Pet 4 the dongle.

But my top pick is try

DpupExprimo5X327 >>an earlier series....

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... primo5X327

squeeze-5.X.3.2.7-SCSI.iso 23-Feb-2012 15:36 150M

It uses Frisbee as default.

"""""""

Latest Lucid...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

or 3 headed Dog might be a goer.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

"""""""""""'

Latest Puppy Precise should be OK.

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00019

Slacko 533.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76279

::::::::

I had a wireless issue for a friend in Penrith.
What saw the Hidden wireless first on 3 laptops..

>> Lucid 5.28..05 and Frisbee

Supply your router and dongle specs.

And sometimes as long as you keep your ISP details handy
it is best to erase the modem settings>>> go to Factory default

and reset the modem.

Normally I do this manually...
but on the Penrith job I used the TP-Link software and finally the
wireless worked without fault....grrrrrr!

Chris.

Marcel

#7 Post by Marcel »

The dongle is a NetComm Wireless LAN USB adaptor, 54Mbps. The model is NP544. I couldn't find it in the lists in the wizard, so I have always used it with ndiswrapper, and that was fine while connected to the wireless router (incidentally, puppy was not then networked to PCB). The connection problem only started when PCB changed to a landline router/modem, although PCA still connects fine when running Vista.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

Marcel wrote:I'm now thinking I should network PCA's Puppy to the Vista PCB
No no. Get this concept out of your head.

Connecting PC A to the router is correct. It seems to me that now you have a new wifi router (actually, it will be a modem/wifi router) you simply need to reconfigure the wifi connection parameters.
But there's a lot of other missing information in your posts - in the new router's settings, you did actually enable wifi broadcasting, right?
And you assigned a wifi identifier name (SSID)?
And you set up encryption and a wifi password, right?
What type of encryption - WEP, WPA or WPA2?
The choice between WPA and WPA2 can be critical ie. one works, the other doesn't.

Marcel wrote:The dongle is a NetComm
... model is NP544
... I have always used it with ndiswrapper
Sadly, that could be part of your problem. ndiswrapper is a kludgey driver solution, but in your case it's the only choice, since your Netcomm NP544 contains the SiS 163u chipset, for which there is no native Linux driver available.

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

An N150 dongle costs $15

An N300 dongle $25 at most.

Plenty of Chinese computer shops in Chatswood.
Yeah! I know you list here as Sydney but???

Now $20

http://beecom.com.au/product.php?produc ... 442&page=2

I use >> LB Link
>>> Model no: BL-LW06-AR

http://www.lefen.com/index.php/Product/1

And

" ShutupEccles writes...

the TP-Link TL-WL822N worked for me out of the box

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... =TL-WN822N

picked it up for around $25

+1 "

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1953978

Stay away from Netgear dongles...issues with Linux.

Chris.

Marcel

How to connect Puppy to network?

#10 Post by Marcel »

Thanks everyone for your help. I have been away, so haven't tried the suggestions, or the requests for more info. I am going to check out, and change if necessary, the settings on the landline modem connected to PCB, as suggested by tempestuous. I'll post result - hopefully it will work.
If that fails, I'll get a new dongle, as suggested by Cthisbear. (BTW, I'm in Surry Hills)

cthisbear

#11 Post by cthisbear »

Happy New Year mate.

""""

" I'm in Surry Hills "

Lived around there for a short while many moons ago.

They hated me there too...ha!...ha!

Anyway keep on posting.

" squeeze-5.X.3.2.7-SCSI.iso 23-Feb-2012 15:36 150M "

Really love this one.

Chris.

Marcel

connecting to network

#12 Post by Marcel »

Thanks guys. I changed the encryption mode on the router, and also downloaded and ran the "squeeze" stuff. Now I'm connected to the Internet, despite using ndiswrapper and an old NetComm usb dongle! :D All I need to do now is work out how to connect to the printer on PCB. At the moment I have to save documents on the PC hard disk and print them from Windows. :cry: Once the printing is sorted I can't think of a good reason to use Windows very much.
Cheers - and don't be scared to show up in Surry Hills - it's very Yuppy these days!