Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
boof

does it have?????

#91 Post by boof »

by default, a local directory to install downloaded programs from in PPM?

I grow tired of racking my brain trying to create this function, as I frequently try to install non pet files and find it difficult, if not utterly impossible-even though I know it is designed to do it. The lack of automation/clear 4 noobs documentation is abominable, or i'm not doing it right. I'm getting too old to keep doing this.

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

devx is up at ibiblio, can someone check md5 please? I'm out for the day now.

Thanks
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#93 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:devx is up at ibiblio, can someone check md5 please? I'm out for the day now.

Thanks
Looks good.Downloaded from main Ibiblio server.
Attachments
Slacko 5.4 sfs.JPG
(52.48 KiB) Downloaded 1431 times
Last edited by James C on Thu 13 Dec 2012, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

MinHundHettePerro

#94 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Beware, though, that although nluug shows the correct devx-size, md5 bums out ...

/MHHP
Attachments
check_.jpg
(166.85 KiB) Downloaded 1365 times
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Billtoo

#95 Post by Billtoo »

I connected a 19" widescreen monitor to my netbook and set
it up with the catalyst control utility.
The external monitor is set to monitor 1 and the netbook is monitor 2,
each monitor has the correct screen resolution.
Never tried it before, it works well.
# report-video
Report Video 1.4 - Thu 13 Dec 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.4 - Linux 3.2.33-4g i686

Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 2464x900 pixels (651x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(49.5 KiB) Downloaded 1421 times

bigpup

#96 Post by bigpup »

An upgrade issue with version 5.3.3 to 5.4 and the fix.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82923
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#97 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:An upgrade issue with version 5.3.3 to 5.4 and the fix.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82923
:lol:

bigpup... he is quoting the release notes :wink: . Glad they were somewhat accurate.

-

Thanks James and MHHP for checking the devx, nluug will catch up. Firefox iso is up too now, byte size is correct so if anyone wants to check and report please do. Many thanks.

James C

#98 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: Thanks James and MHHP for checking the devx, nluug will catch up. Firefox iso is up too now, byte size is correct so if anyone wants to check and report please do. Many thanks.
Regretfully, no match from main Ibiblio server.

Size is 161 MB (169,414,656 bytes) which is same size as the one I originally downloaded from smokey01's server.
Attachments
not matched.JPG
(54.4 KiB) Downloaded 1318 times

01micko

#99 Post by 01micko »

Thanks again James, well we try yet again .. fingers crossed. (I think I'm wearing out my upload limit!)

gcmartin

#100 Post by gcmartin »

In this other thread, here,a member is reporting a problem in 5.4 with it saving its session changes.

Question
  • Can someone post what would be needed from the member to address the problem he indicates?
  • Is this a known problem?
Thx

01micko

#101 Post by 01micko »

After 13 days in the wild the Firefox iso is finally up at ibiblio. I downloaded myself and checked integrity, it's ok! Will take a day or 2 to propagate to the mirrors.

I guess you could say we are "official" now... :lol:

01micko

#102 Post by 01micko »

JustGreg wrote:I have been using Slacko 5.3.3 on my ASUS Eee PC and it works just fine. When I attempt to boot Slacko 5.4, xorgwizard failed both initially and a manual attempt. ASUS Eee PC uses the Intel Atom with Intel Poulsbo Graphic Chip (500 GMA). Normally, one uses the vesa driver with the Intel hack to the mode table. This has work for a good while. I am surprised that the failure.

I also tried Precise Puppy 5.4.1 and got the same failure. I suspect the problem may be in the Woof build, which is common to the two versions.

For now, I will be using Slacko 5.3.3 with this computer. I did check on possible solutions. Tempestuous did post drivers for Puppy 5.1 back awhile. Any thoughts on possible solutions?

12-10 update: I did check Tempestuous drivers for Puppy 5.0/5.1 The kernel module is build for kernel 2.6.33.2 and not compatible with Slacko 5.4 kernel 3.2.33 I did more searching and found the problem with Slacko 5.4. Tempestuous explains it in this post:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1684246909
Greg, please see the main post for link, same thread actually. Please let me know if it works.

NerdWithNoLife

#103 Post by NerdWithNoLife »

liro wrote:Hi. As recommended by darkcity in this thread in the Beginners Help forum, here's a problem I have with the new Slacko 5.4:
liro wrote:When I first started using Puppy earlier this year, I originally decided to use Wary (5.3), thinking it might be more suitable for my oldish laptop (IBM Thinkpad X31), but eventually changed to Slacko 5.3.3, which has run fine for me since.

One of the main reasons I stopped using Wary was due to a problem with "suspension" on closing the laptop lid. It would suspend okay, but on reopening the lid it wouldn't wake up again, leaving me with a black screen and having to reboot. After spending too much time messing about with the ACPI settings, I eventually gave up and started using Slacko instead.

Now... I've just tested out Slacko 5.4 and unfortunately this same suspension problem I had with Wary has reappeared in the newer version of Slacko.

Does anyone know what has changed from Slacko 5.3.3 to Slacko 5.4 for this problem to have come back? (and if so, how I can fix it). If there's no simple solution, I think I'll just stick with 5.3.3 for now...

Thanks.
Same here, on an HP laptop. You can see the desktop for a split second, then it goes back into suspend mode. If I hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace at precisely the right moment, I can xwin back in to it.

Also it seems necessary to THANK all who have made puppy what it is today. The hard work in keeping it small simple and yet robust is evident. I´ve got 4 frugal puppies, and a bunch of documents and downloads, and this only totals 5.5 GiBs. Hahaha, not like the alternatives.

SFR

Slacko-5.4-PAE frugal - problems with savefile

#104 Post by SFR »

Slacko-5.4-PAE installed via Noryb009's installer on sda2 (NTFS) partition, on which is slackosave.2f as well.

Please take a look at this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83041

In short:
The OP have problems with frugal install - during saving to the savefile, system practically hangs for longer periods of time.

In my case it's less predictable - usually everything's ok, but sometimes ,especially when bigger files (>100MB) are being saved, after 70-150 MB HDD led goes off for longer period of time (>30sec), then just a few MB are being written, led goes off again and so on...
During this, no application can access savefile, even for reading, system barely responds, however DeaDBeeF plays mp3s directly from sda3 partition fluently.

I've made a few more tests:
- slackosave.2fs or slackosave.3fs
- savefile on NTFS or EXT3 formatted partition
- PUPMODE=13 or PUPMODE12
- real environment as well as VBox

In all cases (but not every combination of these above was tested):

Code: Select all

cat /dev/zero > /initrd/pup_ro1/root/bigtestfile
(PUPMODE=13), or:

Code: Select all

cat /dev/zero > /initrd/pup_rw/root/bigtestfile
(PUPMODE=12)
recreates the above problem, ie. sometimes the empty file is created smoothly, until there's no more free space, but sometimes after ~100MB HDD hangs and the only solution is CTRL-C and I must wait about 30sec to be able to delete that file.
If I won't break the operation, after few cycles of hanging/writing, CPU load becomes maxed and it's difficult to do anything, often only power button works...

I ran similar test few times on Slacko-5.3.3-4g (savefile on NTFS or EXT3) and I couldn't recreate the problem there.

I'm stuck at this point, anyway...

BTW, if someone would like to run such a test to confirm/deny the existence of this problem, then please: for security reasons (very high possibility of data loss/corruption), it's better to create a separate savefile for this task, or install 5.4 in VBox.
Then just open terminal window, type one of the above commands (depending of your PUPMODE), observe HDD led and control the size of the file, which is being created.
If HDD hangs - CTRL+C to break the operation.
There may be need to repeat the procedure few times, because, as I wrote, sometimes it just works...

TIA & Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

consentient

Saving from RAM to Savefile takes way longer than 5.3

#105 Post by consentient »

I'm been experiencing a problem that is not in the notes, which is that the savefile seems to take 10-20x longer to save than with 5.3. - mainly the one that happens periodically, not just on shutdown. Shutdown I don't care about and I think even on 5.3 it takes longer on shutdown than the periodic one cuz there is more stuff to sort out. But the periodic one on 5.4 takes a really long time and rapes the CPU usage more than it ever did on 5.3.

Other than that, I think everything else seems more or less the same. I dont get the error I had with the graphics card, due to the updated drivers?

So if I can clear up the savefile issue, it would be no complaints and all praise.

One thing I thought is: does the fact that I have the OS installed to an 8Gb USB with a 4GB savefile mean that I should be using the PAE version?

Could this be the source of my problem?

Thanks for any help.

[EDIT: I forgot to say that Thunar file manager doesn't want to boot. Installs fine (apparently) but then won't run at all. Have been using QTFM instead]
Last edited by consentient on Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#106 Post by 01micko »

Some goodies to test.

I will get on to more serious things soon.

Firstly, It's Christmas again and once again Joe Wing is back in action. He is up to revision 587 as of 17 December and seems to have fixed the compositing bug which first appeared in revision 520 (or so).

Secondly, Thunor has been steadily progressing with gtkdialog and is now at revision 496, getting close to the next stable release.

Both are attached. Report any issues.

EDIT: Attachment jwm-587 removed, test jwm-590 near the bottom of this page
Attachments
gtkdialog-0.8.3-r496M-slacko.pet
(97.91 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
gtkdialog_DOC-0.8.3-r496M-slacko.pet
(126.17 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 27 Dec 2012, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#107 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote: Firstly, It's Christmas again and once again Joe Wing is back in action. He is up to revision 587 as of 17 December and seems to have fixed the compositing bug which first appeared in revision 520 (or so).
@01micko
Hi,
I made an sfs of openbox and the latest lxpanel that is working well in Slacko-54,let me know if you'd like to check it out and I'll give you a download link.

EDIT:How about jwm+lxpanel? :)
Attachments
jwm+lxpanel.jpg
(32.24 KiB) Downloaded 1636 times
lxpanel.jpg
(106.47 KiB) Downloaded 1895 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 22 Dec 2012, 11:00, edited 2 times in total.

8-bit

#108 Post by 8-bit »

I had downloaded and am using Slacko 5.4 Final frugally installed.
The md5sum checks out ok.
But the list of built in files seems to lack inclusion of Firefox in the list.
I want to be able to completely remove Firefox and use Seamonkey in it's place.
I currently have Seamonkey installed and did a rename of the hidden file .mozilla in the /root directory to .oldmozilla.
I then systemlinked my .mozilla directory into /root so I can use it for all my installs of Puppy running Seamonkey.
The problem I am having is that I am getting severe pauses when entering text in a post, videos are also not playing properly etc. when running Seamonkey.
I think it might be a cache problem with Firefox caching stuff even though it is not running but Seamonkey is.

So, is there a list of the files that are installed by Firefox that I can delete and then do a reinstall of Seamonkey.
Of course, I would initially remove the link to my external .mozilla file to protect it until I had Seamonkey installed.

Suggestions gladly accepted.

01micko

#109 Post by 01micko »

8-bit wrote:I had downloaded and am using Slacko 5.4 Final frugally installed.
The md5sum checks out ok.
But the list of built in files seems to lack inclusion of Firefox in the list.
I want to be able to completely remove Firefox and use Seamonkey in it's place.
I currently have Seamonkey installed and did a rename of the hidden file .mozilla in the /root directory to .oldmozilla.
I then systemlinked my .mozilla directory into /root so I can use it for all my installs of Puppy running Seamonkey.
The problem I am having is that I am getting severe pauses when entering text in a post, videos are also not playing properly etc. when running Seamonkey.
I think it might be a cache problem with Firefox caching stuff even though it is not running but Seamonkey is.

So, is there a list of the files that are installed by Firefox that I can delete and then do a reinstall of Seamonkey.
Of course, I would initially remove the link to my external .mozilla file to protect it until I had Seamonkey installed.

Suggestions gladly accepted.
mozilla-firefox :wink:, look for that.

8-bit

#110 Post by 8-bit »

Thank you 01micko.
That list of installed files for Firefox is unreal!
Going by the line count in geany when I open that file as text, it looks like 1277 files approximately.
And that is a lot of files to individually remove.
Do you suppose a utility I saw a while back on removing built-in files would work?
I just do not look forward to manually removing them although I suppose if I did a quiet delete of the associated directories, I might have a fighting chance.
But one thing that bothers me is if removal of it would break the CUPS browser interface and if there are other things in Puppy that depend on any of the files associated with it.

I will have to give it a go and see I guess as I have my slackosave file backed up for being able to easily undo the changes if need be.