Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
drspastic

xkb broken

#76 Post by drspastic »

hi, just trying 5.4 for the first time and all is well except for Xkb which says 'an error has occurred' no matter what i try and alter.
i am running xorg, not xvesa.
not sure what to do.

Namm

#77 Post by Namm »

I've had the full install. Upgraded (not wipe) to 5.4 and now my poor Slacko isn't feeling too well anymore. The file manager and Chromium isn't starting, no background pictures... It has to be put out of its misery I guess. :(

I'm getting this when trying to run programs: "[...] symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_bytes_unref"

ally

#78 Post by ally »

@Namm

sounds similar to the problems I was having, odd page displays and 'bugginess (yes concise tech term!)

the file issues on my own (frugal) install was limited to the opening (mounting) of partitions (2 partitions on 2 drives), when opened they operated freely

having the same problem affecting 2 different drives rules out drive issues

I have rolled back to 5.3.3 and the problems have disappeared

:)

Billtoo

#79 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of my remastered slacko-54 PAE to my acer netbook.
Report Video 1.4 - Sat 8 Dec 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.4 - Linux 3.4.17-PAE i686
Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller:ATITechnologiesIncM880G[MobilityRadeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
Version 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
8654 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1730.763 FPS
8666 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1733.177 FPS
8639 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1725.029 FPS
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Memory 1783MB (146MB used)
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n
It's running well on this netbook but a tad warm, I may try the
non-PAE for a comparison.

EDIT:screenshot2 shows the non-PAE version running 7 degrees cooler
than the PAE version on this netbook.

EDIT:screenshot3 shows the non-PAE version running on a 6 core amd processor, super cool.

EDIT:screenshot4 shows the PAE version running on the 6 core amd processor, it's super cool too so it just makes a difference on the single core amd netbook.
Attachments
screenshot4.jpg
(15.96 KiB) Downloaded 959 times
screenshot3.jpg
(58.52 KiB) Downloaded 1611 times
screenshot2.jpg
(87.86 KiB) Downloaded 1817 times
screenshot.jpg
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 1860 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 13 Dec 2012, 18:02, edited 2 times in total.

vicmz

#80 Post by vicmz »

Sorry for the off-topic, I've made a .pet of Openbox with extra addons that you can find here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82800

Works in Slacko, Precise and Wary, may work in other Puppies.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

JustGreg

#81 Post by JustGreg »

I have been using Slacko 5.3.3 on my ASUS Eee PC and it works just fine. When I attempt to boot Slacko 5.4, xorgwizard failed both initially and a manual attempt. ASUS Eee PC uses the Intel Atom with Intel Poulsbo Graphic Chip (500 GMA). Normally, one uses the vesa driver with the Intel hack to the mode table. This has work for a good while. I am surprised that the failure.

I also tried Precise Puppy 5.4.1 and got the same failure. I suspect the problem may be in the Woof build, which is common to the two versions.

For now, I will be using Slacko 5.3.3 with this computer. I did check on possible solutions. Tempestuous did post drivers for Puppy 5.1 back awhile. Any thoughts on possible solutions?

12-10 update: I did check Tempestuous drivers for Puppy 5.0/5.1 The kernel module is build for kernel 2.6.33.2 and not compatible with Slacko 5.4 kernel 3.2.33 I did more searching and found the problem with Slacko 5.4. Tempestuous explains it in this post:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1684246909
Last edited by JustGreg on Tue 11 Dec 2012, 00:38, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

SFR

PPLOG - error 500 on Slacko-5.4-PAE

#82 Post by SFR »

It's getting funnier - I noticed that installing 666philb's gtk-youtube-viewer has fixed PPLOG issue.

I don't know Perl at all, so by trials & errors I have found the following 4 files are responsible for that:
/usr/share/perl5/unicore/Heavy.pl
/usr/share/perl5/overloading.pm
/usr/share/perl5/utf8_heavy.pl
/usr/share/perl5/utf8.pm

Simply copying these files from devx.sfs to corresponding locations in real filesystem seems to fix PPLOG, however I didn't test if everything works correctly - it just makes that error 500 disappears (at least for me)...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

MinHundHettePerro

#83 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

On a similar note ...

An executable that has been hidden away in the devx for a long time is /usr/bin/update-mime-database, which is needed to properly update the mime-database.
I usually add some mime-types to my Puppies, and feel that is more of a maintenance-task than a development-kind-of-task.
Not having /usr/bin/update-mime-database readily accessible in a vanilla Pup can easily lead to the tinkerer's hack of just editing /usr/share/mime/globs(2) :oops: :oops: - vapourised on the next proper update of the mime-database ...

Yes, I've learnt since quite some time to supply my /usr/share/mime/packages/*****.xml - load the devx - and then update the mime-db.

The point I'm trying to get through is that updating the mime-types-db is something that should be readily do-able in a non-development environment.

Not specific to Slacko in any way ... just my Pup of choice :).

Anyway :), [/rant], :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

666philb

#84 Post by 666philb »

if a .pet contains more than one application, each with separate .desktop files, they both end up in the same part of the menu.

for instance i had to package gtk-youtube-viewer with sakura terminal for slacko 5.4. and even though the sakura .desktop file was set to utility, it appeared in the multimedia menu along with gtkyoutube-viewer.

installing in precise is fine
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

liro

#85 Post by liro »

Hi. As recommended by darkcity in this thread in the Beginners Help forum, here's a problem I have with the new Slacko 5.4:
liro wrote:When I first started using Puppy earlier this year, I originally decided to use Wary (5.3), thinking it might be more suitable for my oldish laptop (IBM Thinkpad X31), but eventually changed to Slacko 5.3.3, which has run fine for me since.

One of the main reasons I stopped using Wary was due to a problem with "suspension" on closing the laptop lid. It would suspend okay, but on reopening the lid it wouldn't wake up again, leaving me with a black screen and having to reboot. After spending too much time messing about with the ACPI settings, I eventually gave up and started using Slacko instead.

Now... I've just tested out Slacko 5.4 and unfortunately this same suspension problem I had with Wary has reappeared in the newer version of Slacko.

Does anyone know what has changed from Slacko 5.3.3 to Slacko 5.4 for this problem to have come back? (and if so, how I can fix it). If there's no simple solution, I think I'll just stick with 5.3.3 for now...

Thanks.

666philb

Re: PPLOG - error 500 on Slacko-5.4-PAE

#86 Post by 666philb »

SFR wrote:It's getting funnier - I noticed that installing 666philb's gtk-youtube-viewer has fixed PPLOG issue.

I don't know Perl at all, so by trials & errors I have found the following 4 files are responsible for that:
/usr/share/perl5/unicore/Heavy.pl
/usr/share/perl5/overloading.pm
/usr/share/perl5/utf8_heavy.pl
/usr/share/perl5/utf8.pm

Simply copying these files from devx.sfs to corresponding locations in real filesystem seems to fix PPLOG, however I didn't test if everything works correctly - it just makes that error 500 disappears (at least for me)...

Greetings!
hi SFR,

this kinda makes sense, as gtk-youtube-viewer is packaged with some perl packages that are in the devx.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

peebee

ffconvert 1.3 bug

#87 Post by peebee »

ffconvert 1.3 in slacko 5.4 has a problem with filenames with spaces...

patch to cure by member SFR:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=188
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#88 Post by Lobster »

Installed on USB for my sisters zoostorm laptop.
Had to use the second option to install to USB (the Boot Flash installer rather than the universal installer).
Seems to be OK.
My sister has acute paranoia, taping over her in built camera in case [changing delusions] get pics of her . . . May get her a tin foil hat for Christmas :D - must be kind, she is not well . . .

I am using Slacko now and was glad to have the Openshot SFS, which seems OK. Maybe over Christmas will try getting SecondLife running with my Radeon card and Slacko . . .

Been busy with the paranoid and other suffering, so not much Puppy time. Have managed to practice some meditation to help with all the present 'Karma' [stuff that hits the fan]
http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/37704458 ... e-world-is

Thanks to Barry and Micko, really like Slacko. Just having those SFS of big programs running on a fast Puppy - nice . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#89 Post by Sage »

Today, BK tells us:
However, other recent Woof-built pups, such as Slacko 5.4, would also be able to use it, just take out the Precise-package-related files and leave in Woof files. So, here is the PET (422K):
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... recise.pet
Any chance you could expand on that explanation, please, micko - the 'take out' part in particular?

01micko

#90 Post by 01micko »

@Sage, I'll get back to you about that and soon will make an SP1 designed for Slacko-5.4, stay tuned,

In other news...

Finally [ :roll: ], the PAE version is up at ibiblio and the upload didn't break so the checksum *should* be ok, should be up at nluug by now also, confirmation required, TIA. EDIT: checksum now confirmed correct at nluug. Aarnet is wrong, I have emailed the webmaster.

Just the devx and FF version (which broke, but leaving broken piece there to overwrite at a later date) to go...
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

boof

does it have?????

#91 Post by boof »

by default, a local directory to install downloaded programs from in PPM?

I grow tired of racking my brain trying to create this function, as I frequently try to install non pet files and find it difficult, if not utterly impossible-even though I know it is designed to do it. The lack of automation/clear 4 noobs documentation is abominable, or i'm not doing it right. I'm getting too old to keep doing this.

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

devx is up at ibiblio, can someone check md5 please? I'm out for the day now.

Thanks
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#93 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:devx is up at ibiblio, can someone check md5 please? I'm out for the day now.

Thanks
Looks good.Downloaded from main Ibiblio server.
Attachments
Slacko 5.4 sfs.JPG
(52.48 KiB) Downloaded 1431 times
Last edited by James C on Thu 13 Dec 2012, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

MinHundHettePerro

#94 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Beware, though, that although nluug shows the correct devx-size, md5 bums out ...

/MHHP
Attachments
check_.jpg
(166.85 KiB) Downloaded 1365 times
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Billtoo

#95 Post by Billtoo »

I connected a 19" widescreen monitor to my netbook and set
it up with the catalyst control utility.
The external monitor is set to monitor 1 and the netbook is monitor 2,
each monitor has the correct screen resolution.
Never tried it before, it works well.
# report-video
Report Video 1.4 - Thu 13 Dec 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.4 - Linux 3.2.33-4g i686

Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 2464x900 pixels (651x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(49.5 KiB) Downloaded 1421 times