Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#256 Post by rcrsn51 »

How are you starting CUPS now? From the Xdialog box? Or from localhost:631 in your web browser?

Brown Mouse

#257 Post by Brown Mouse »

rcrsn51 wrote:How are you starting CUPS now? From the Xdialog box? Or from localhost:631 in your web browser?
Cups will only start from localhost:631 in the browser,not by using the wizard..
Also,It would only start in this way before I decided to try installing the older version of CUPS.
However,I do have a backup copy of the savefile before I decided to install the printer this morning. :D

rcrsn51

#258 Post by rcrsn51 »

From the command line, run

Code: Select all

defaultbrowser http://localhost:631

Brown Mouse

#259 Post by Brown Mouse »

rcrsn51 wrote:From the command line, run

Code: Select all

defaultbrowser http://localhost:631
Permission denied :(

rcrsn51

#260 Post by rcrsn51 »

Brown Mouse wrote:Permission denied
Go to the folder /usr/local/bin and check the permissions on the file defaultbrowser. It is probably not executable.

If just checked a clean install of slacko-5.4-firefox-4g.iso.

I ran Setup > PupControl > Hardware > Printer > Install > "Do you want help" > No

The CUPS 1.4.8 web interface started correctly.

Brown Mouse

#261 Post by Brown Mouse »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Permission denied
Go to the folder /usr/local/bin and check the permissions on the file defaultbrowser. It is probably not executable.

If just checked a clean install of slacko-5.4-firefox-4g.iso.

I ran Setup > PupControl > Hardware > Printer > Install > "Do you want help" > No

The CUPS 1.4.8 web interface started correctly.
All I get is this:- ine 2: exec: mozstart: not found

rcrsn51

#262 Post by rcrsn51 »

Switching browsers has broken the "defaultbrowser" script. If you opened it in a text editor, you might be able to change it to run your current firefox instead.

There may be other Puppy tools that need "defaultbrowser" to work correctly.

Brown Mouse

#263 Post by Brown Mouse »

rcrsn51

Although its not the ideal fix,I used the backup savefile and managed to get CUPS 1.4.8 running from the Firefox browser that I had changed to an updateable version and using the localhost:631 method.The CUPS wizard remains broken.I then installed the hplip driver for my printer and configured it to run and print.
Not sure why it wouldn't work on the many first attempts.

Thanks for your help.

8-bit

#264 Post by 8-bit »

The script file that starts the browser cups interface is /usr/sbin/cups_shell and since it is a script, it is editable.
So one can change the browser used there or change the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser file to the browser you are using.

Brown Mouse

#265 Post by Brown Mouse »

8-bit wrote:The script file that starts the browser cups interface is /usr/sbin/cups_shell and since it is a script, it is editable.
So one can change the browser used there or change the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser file to the browser you are using.
Thanks 8-bit

It transpires that a Firefox symlink was missing from /usr/lib/firefox/firefox to /usr/bin/.Once I added this,CUPS wizard now working again.

Sage

#266 Post by Sage »

Runs nicely, few strange features like the cursor shape-change over targets and the point sizing, etc.
One item which is utterly bizarre - I first highlighted it a couple of centuries ago. Try pfix=ram, nox and stick in GB, UK, London, whatever. Top of the opening panel still shows USA! Always has done, hopefully never will again. Why not make Perth the default for all the locale settings? This pooch deserves the best.
Otherwise, fantastic.
For ultimate polish a well-developed, stable, extensively tested .pet clickable update file would set this offering apart from all the minor players and put it in the major league.

horhota

Citrix ICA Client Not working in Slacko 5.4

#267 Post by horhota »

I just tried Slacko 5.4 and I really like it. However I found one problem that is critical for me. I've had a Citrix ICA client (citrixICA-10.6.115659_openmotif-2.3.1-i486.pet) working in Puppy since I was using Lucid 5.2. I got it from one of the threads in this forum (viewtopic.php?t=29&search_id=233036402). It has been working fine in Slacko 5.3.1 and 5.3.3. I reinstalled it in 5.4 - no problems during install - but it comes up with a host transaction error box when I try to run it in 5.4. Does anyone have an updated ICA client for 5.4 or any suggestions on how to fix the error? I need this ICA client running to access my mainframe computer at work. In the meantime I'll have to back to 5.3. Thanks.

mister_electronico

I want fix alsamixer and retrovol

#268 Post by mister_electronico »

I am running puppy 5.4 but in retrovol and alsamixer is missing all controls, only appear IEC958, with the same PC and puppy 5.33 work all Ok.

I had read people fix alsamixer and retrovol but I don't know how do it.
Someone can say me a good post or tutorial.

Thanks.

natgab

Power Management problem - Slacko 5.4

#269 Post by natgab »

Question regarding power management,

I was watching a movie (using VLC )on TV hooked up to my Thinkpad X40 through VGA cable. The computer keeps dimming after every 30 min or so. The screen dims even while the movie would still play. I can still hear the movie. I am wondering if there is a setting I didn't set. I have the laptop plugged in to the AC, and I set to never sleep and never sleep display.

Doesn't seem to be caused by save file, since that only makes the menu appear above the movie ( I am using full screen ) back up the save file and then disappears. I had previously used Lucid 5.2.8 Wary to view movies the same way and the screen would not sleep on me.

I hope this is the right place to post, I had posted in House Training for regular users and never got a response in over a week.
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Terryphi

Re: Power Management problem - Slacko 5.4

#270 Post by Terryphi »

natgab wrote:Question regarding power management,

I was watching a movie (using VLC )on TV hooked up to my Thinkpad X40 through VGA cable. The computer keeps dimming after every 30 min or so.
Yes, I have seen inexplicable screen dimming on my Acer Aspire 5749 laptop - and it only happens with Slacko 5.4. I have been unable to work out why this happens but it seems unrelated to the load placed on the laptop.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

nooby

#271 Post by nooby »

I've noticed that one too. I looked at a 60 minutes science show
on streaming media and suddenly it got down but moving the mouse
got it back.

so if somebody know what to do about it that would be cool.
If you are good at searching using google use the link in my signature.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#272 Post by pemasu »

Sounds like dpms. You can switch it off by using xset. Here is gui to do it.

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 06c#662224
Attachments
xset-ssm2-linuph-0.0.1.pet
(45.65 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

natgab

#273 Post by natgab »

pemasu wrote:Sounds like dpms. You can switch it off by using xset. Here is gui to do it.

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 06c#662224
---So, do I just download the pet you posted and install? Does that fix the screensaver bug? Will it add a button to my power saving panel or will it just fix things and still look the same?
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

pemasu

#274 Post by pemasu »

I dont know what is power saving panel. But the pet installs menu entry under Utility. Xset screensaver manager. Launch it. Put all settings off and there shouldnt be any automatic display blackening. If the problem comes from dpms.

When you watch streamed video, the dpms will be triggered at default intervals. I suffer from that when watching streamed video through my laptop via hdmi to the lcd tv. I use that pet to disable dpms default settings.

natgab

#275 Post by natgab »

pemasu wrote:I dont know what is power saving panel. But the pet installs menu entry under Utility. Xset screensaver manager. Launch it. Put all settings off and there shouldnt be any automatic display blackening. If the problem comes from dpms.

When you watch streamed video, the dpms will be triggered at default intervals. I suffer from that when watching streamed video through my laptop via hdmi to the lcd tv. I use that pet to disable dpms default settings.
This is the panel I am talking about, " Power Management Preferences". This is how I have my computer set when I watch movies. I will go and download the PET. Thanks for explaining where to look for it.

EDIT: I downloaded the PET, double clicked it and it said installed. It said it was in the Setup Menu. I looked there and Utility. No new entry called " Xset screensaver manager". :(