Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#286 Post by jamesbond »

I don't use opendns so I can't help.
For the ip-up script, to get it to autorun, just insert the command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

ally

#287 Post by ally »

thanks james

:)

gcmartin

#288 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Ally.

There are two issues that you are hitting up against. I have had some problems in the past as well. Here's a brief description that comes into play.

The FATDOG hostname seems to have some issues with the tool that allows proper hostname setting. I say "proper" because I set each device on my LAN with a descriptive name for Identity reasons. With FATDOG, I have had several occurrences where the LAN is not receiving that name properly. This is compounded by several factors; but suffice it to say is occurs with my Live media system which I try to not boot. This becomes router related because that device name is relayed at IP personality time via DHCP protocol exchange.

OK, so advance to setting it proper on your PC and rebooting your PC. Next depending on which router you are using, the registration for local devices may or may not be managed in the router so that things can be found by their hostname(s). Some routers have a feature, manual or automatic, to control this registration for local use and some do not. Thus, depending on whether you are using automatic setting via DHCP or using a static setting, this TOO, can affect the LAN registration for finding things locally by the hostname.

In the cases of the router, those that are not set to manage the local device naming will pass the device name thru to the upstream DNSs that it knows about. In this case, it will register in the internet and local resolution will not occur as expected or will occur randomly to highlight this problem.

The solution to this is to setup a local LAN DNS server to accomplish the registration of the local devices. And tell all the PCs it is authoritative by pointing their DNS resolution to the authoritative DNS of all name resolution. This DNS would be smart enough to know that if request is unknown/not local to pass the request along to the Internet DNS for it to have a look and to resolve.

JamesBond has, I believe, included a subsystem which can do exactly that. Its DNSMASQ. But you'll have to look into it or contact their support team for setup instructions. Further, Microsoft has a solution, too.

Here is one things that will work using some routers. This I call automatic because for vendors sometimes employ this to automatically handle the feature which tries to screen local LAN hostnames traffic from internet traffic. Try setting the DHCP area of the router to pass along ONLY the router's LAN IP address as the DNS address. This field is usually left to 0.0.0.0 or on some routers will be filled in with the ISP's DNS. In some cases this is how some routers screen for local traffic. And, most all router still will see that internet address resolution occurs as one would expect. Should this work, there is no need for a PC running DNSMASQ locally for LAN DNS resolution.

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 26 Jan 2013, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#289 Post by ally »

hey gc

thanks, I am using a BThomehub2 which doesn't seem to work well out in the world, I wasn't for example able to set up a 'local network' setting for opendns

I was however able to set permanent ip addresses for my local network which has allowed me to append my local ip addresses to the 'hosts' file which has sorted the problem, vnc now works correctly in conjustion with ip-up pointing to opendns (highly recommended everybody)

thanks to JB the ip-up script start is permanently fixed so firefox polls opendns servers which CONSIDERABLY speed up my browser page find

the only real problem now is that FF is not behaving correctly with bookmarks but it's a minor niggle

thanks once again to the fatdog team, this is blistering fast on a 1800mhz dual core lenovo t61

kudos

dennis-slacko531

Why doesn't VLC work well with internet radio?

#290 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Hi :) I really enjoy my Killradio.ORG and have been trying tonight to listen in. The default browser (The Nightly, firefox), it brings the multimedia "web page" in fine, but no sound. So, I dnld IRON (23?) and it ask me to grant VLC rights to run this session, etc. Same result... I'll have to boot into another Puppy unless someone cool gives an answer (please). Thanks, Dennis -- I have the 610 version.

Oh, maybe I should mention it runs fine (immediately) a normal mp3 file dnld from the net.

Runs very snappy on HP dc7800 (2.66/2G Duo).

Edit after Reply: I'll try that, thanks kirk. I've noticed in Linux & their browser's, if wishing to save, I have to kick-start the downloadable mp3 by saving the page. I mean, the default is set to start playing. As you may know http://www.Killradio.org (and the popular http://www.radio4all.net) have K's of 90min or better music/shows! Free for all to enjoy.
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

kirk

#291 Post by kirk »

I am unable to install bookmarks from html file (have followed html to downloads then open ff instructions)
The bookmarks file has to be owned by user spot. If the file is located in the Downloads folder and you open and close the browser it will change it's owner to spot.

In Fatdog64-620 any file placed in the downloads folder will automatically change the owner to spot.
I really enjoy my Killradio.ORG and have been trying tonight to listen in.
Yes, apparently the vlc pluggin has problems with that stream. You can play it from vlc directly though. After you click on the link to open the stream on that site copy the URL. Open vlc and click Media - Open Network Stream and paste the URL in there. Vlc will remember it for next time. I might need to update the vlc mozilla plugin.

gcmartin

Minor issues with pathing for utitities.

#292 Post by gcmartin »

This post is removed as the problem has vanished.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#293 Post by ally »

hey kirk

I am running FF as root and it still failed to load, I noticed that the same thing happened in slacko 5.4 which I ran for a few days trying to generate the hanging bug

I am running slacko 5401 testing which is built with opera and the bookmarks file loaded correctly so the issue is with FF

thanks for the help though......

rcrsn51

Re: Minor issues with pathing for utitities.

#294 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:Seem that the current PPM version for SAMBA has the same problem.
Which Samba version are you talking about? The built-in version or Samba 3.6.5 from the repo?

I checked 3.6.5 and testparm worked OK.
Please explain.

galen

#295 Post by galen »

outstanding work on 611!
linux user and distro hopper since 1998

galen

#296 Post by galen »

611 sound stop working, it was working
my cables are good and connected.
alsamixer & control panel all working,
nothing muted.

Code: Select all

# lsmod |grep snd
snd_pcm_oss            37122  0 
snd_mixer_oss          14516  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_intel8x0           26135  0 
snd_ac97_codec        108147  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                1118  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_mpu401              4728  0 
snd_mpu401_uart         5699  1 snd_mpu401
snd_rawmidi            18178  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_pcm                72118  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_device          4924  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_timer              18081  1 snd_pcm
snd                    55640  10 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_seq_device,snd_timer
soundcore               4994  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          6681  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

galen

611 sound

#297 Post by galen »

on most boots VLC, flash/firefox works
but as soon as Pidgin starts (via /usr/local/bin/defaultchat)
flash/firefox dies and won't work further,
vlc sound may stop or not

JustGreg

#298 Post by JustGreg »

I wanted to change the colors used by urxvt, the normal terminal emulator that comes with Fatdog64. Without .Xdefaults file in /root only the defaults are allowed. One can use .Xdefaults file to set the colors and other options as need. Fatdog64 does not have .Xdefaults file. I copied the .Xdefaults file from Slacko and made the appropriate changes. Now, urxvt looks the way I like it. I suggest that .Xdefaults be added.

Ok, smoke01. Here is the contents of .Xdeaults that I am using:

!Rxvt*keysym.0xFF50:\001
!Rxvt*keysym.0xFF57:\005
! but urxvt in quirky etc needs these...
!Rxvt.keysym.Home: \033[1~
!Rxvt.keysym.End: \033[4~
! broomdodger reports this works in both 431 and quirky (rxvt and urxvt)...
!Rxvt.keysym.0xFF50: \033[1~
!Rxvt.keysym.0xFF57: \033[4~

!Rxvt*menu: /root/.rxvt.menu
Rxvt*saveLines: 1000

urxvt.foreground:#000000
urxvt.background:#f5f5f5
urxvt.underlineColor: Red
! underLineColor is cursor

! fonts
! run "fc-list" for a list of available fonts
urxvt.font: xft:Nimbus Mono L:style=Regular:pixelsize=14

urxvt.geometry:80x25
urxvt.scrollBar: True
urxvt.scrollTtyOutput: False
urxvt.scrollTtyKeypress: True
urxvt.secondaryScroll: True
urxvt.saveLines: 1000
urxvt.cursorUnderline:True
urxvt.cursorBlink:True

urxvt.transparent:Off
urxvt.shading:85
urxvt.borderLess:Off

Now just cut and paste from the post. I hope this helps.
Last edited by JustGreg on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

smokey01

#299 Post by smokey01 »

JustGreg why not TarBall it or paste the contents into the message.

JustGreg

#300 Post by JustGreg »

I have been using fatdog64 on a laptop with a touch pad. When I am typing, I touch the touch pad, which results in problems. Under the other consumer operating system that will not be named, I can use the Function (fn) key and F9 key to turn the touch pad off.

The key combination does not work with fatdog64. Is there some way that the key combination be able to turn off the touch pad in fatdog64? I know that under the apci demon some key combinations can be define to do functions, but, I am not familiar with the process. Any pointers on how or where to find the information will be appreciated. I suspect it may be a driver issue. Thank you in advance for help on this.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

smokey01

#301 Post by smokey01 »

JustGreg in Control Panel under Desktop there is an Adjust Touch Pad tool (flSynclient) where you can turn your touch pad off. Have you tried this?

I don't have a 64bit Laptop so I can't test it but it works fine on my 32bit laptop under Dpup Exprimo.
Last edited by smokey01 on Sat 02 Feb 2013, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Re: Minor issues with pathing for utitities.

#302 Post by gcmartin »

rcrsn51 wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Seem that the current PPM version for SAMBA has the same problem.
Which Samba version are you talking about? The built-in version or Samba 3.6.5 from the repo?
I checked 3.6.5 and testparm worked OK.
Please explain.
AS you know, I run Live media (DVD boot in this case expressing "media" at boot time.

@Kirk and all, nevermind. I have a update to that post.

For some reason for which I cannot explain, my post's problem has resolved. Here's what happen, but does NOT explain "why".
  1. I am running FATDOG from DVD on an 4GB X2 system.
  2. I downloaded a very large distro via browser, which only allows storage into the RAM based filesystem.
  3. A notification popped indicating "system running short of resources ..."
  4. I opened ROX and moved items from the RAM filesystem to permanent stores.
  5. while moving files, I opened a terminal to check which name was assigned for community share and found the problem with "testparm".
  6. I noted it, restarted the X desktop and posted the problem.
I remembered this 'testparm" problem from years ago and made an assumption. (that experience does NOT apply to this problem)
Note: This system has NOT been rebooted since its initial save session to Live media.

@Rcrsn51 thanks. I just reopened a terminal and the system now executes "testparm" as it should.

Sorry, but I still cannot find why that occurred.

Thanks for your help

JustGreg

#303 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks Smoke01. Yes the control panel applet works same with a 64 bit as 32 bit. It takes care of the problem. It does save the touch pad state so the touch pad is still off after a reboot. I just finished testing it.

That solves my problem, but, is there a way to use function key to do the same? This is more of an interest of mine rather that something that needs to be done. Thank you in advance for any help on the use of function keys.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

smokey01

#304 Post by smokey01 »

JustGreg wrote:Thanks Smoke01. Yes the control panel applet works same with a 64 bit as 32 bit. It takes care of the problem. It does save the touch pad state so the touch pad is still off after a reboot. I just finished testing it.

That solves my problem, but, is there a way to use function key to do the same? This is more of an interest of mine rather that something that needs to be done. Thank you in advance for any help on the use of function keys.
Fn+F4 will toggle your touchpad on/off. It calls the following script:
/usr/bin/toggle-touchpad.

If you don't like the Fn-F4 key combination you can make your own with sven. Sven is in the taskbar, right click on it a choose preferences.

capicoso

#305 Post by capicoso »

How can this be translated to spanish?
I'm surprised that nobody translated it already. I'd translate it if there are tools to do so? Like the scripts on other puppies. Or someone could point me in the right direction...