Changed to ADSL now POP3 mail won't come down[Mostly Solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

#16 Post by tytower »

Well whako the didlio
Here we go ...go there.
I think you must have moved to Mars

I usually get pretty good help here from these people that's why I asked here

How about answering the questions I asked you here, before I go join another forum and find more whakos

tytower

#17 Post by tytower »

Hmm not getting much further on this .

If you think about it there are 3 Firewalls running ,any one of which can be upsetting this .
One or more on the service provider's machine
One on my router
One on my Computer

Two of them are involved in the change and I can only check the router firewall.

Is there a way to connect to TPG's server and see what the Firewall settings are ? They do not seem to be willing to tell me

tytower

#18 Post by tytower »

cthisbear wrote:tytower:

Mate i pointed you to Whirlpool Forum for TPG.

Hello....Mars calling Earth....can you hear me.

I am also in the process of moving.

Chris.
I don't think the mars thing is necessary.
Last edited by tytower on Tue 01 Jan 2013, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.

tytower

#19 Post by tytower »

OK for anyone who wants to know the truth of this now
TPG my ISP atm are doing something . Don't know what yet but I will find out .Its is a lookup problem

When I changed the incoming mail server to the IP number it came straight down . When I use "pop.mail.yahoo.com" it hangs .Likewise with GMail

So in Sylpheed I put the IP for pop Yahoo 63.250.192.36 and all was good again
GMail 173.194.73.109
Also I was not able to ping or telnet the name but I could the IP?

I used Google's public DNS in my connection settings (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)and this seems to fix the problem .So it is with TPG and is to do with their DNS servers it seems.

It also applies to sending mail. I must address it to the IP numbers and not to a name.

Can anybody suggest an explanation of what this might be?
Last edited by tytower on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:22, edited 2 times in total.

tytower

#20 Post by tytower »

xan wrote: it might pay to check what your DNS settings are now and make sure you aren't still using the DNS servers from the old ISP.
This may be closer to the mark than I expected xan -thanks
Its not my settings at fault but there seems to be a block on yahoo and gmail at TPG but they don't have it attached to the IP numbers.. yet.

scsijon

#21 Post by scsijon »

tytower,

quick thought, ?you did rerun the firewall program after changing over didn't you!

However, I would have re-run the Internet Connection Wizard and rerun the 'connect to the internet' section, just to flush clean your settings first, then the firewall.

tytower

#22 Post by tytower »

Yes thanks . About 40 times actually . Been tinkering on and off at it for months