Flash games not working in Puppy 533 with XFCE

Play with your Puppy.
eagleye31

Flash games not working in Puppy 533 with XFCE

#1 Post by eagleye31 »

I installed flash player 10 for puppy Linux 5.3.3 while running XFCE 4.8.

I tried playing a local flash game off my thumb drive in my browser, however when my browser opens up it prompts to download the .swf. Giving me the option to Cancel, Open, Save... Neither options work to play it. I know its probably a really easy problem to fix, but I don't know what to do.

Will post screenshot soon. This started when I installed XFCE, before that I could play local flash games.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Which browser are you using? You might check the preferences/settings to see if there's anything defining what the browser will do with an SWF file.

For example:
Seamonkey: Edit > Preferences, double-click on the Browser category in the left pane to expand it, then the "Helper Applications" subcategory. Find "SWF file" in the list, and see what action is listed. Mine has "Use Shockwave Flash (in Seamonkey)".

Firefox: Edit > Preferences > "Application" category/tab. Look for "SWF file" in the list, and check the listed action. Mine has "Use Shockwave Flash (in Firefox)".

(I wonder if anyone's created a .pet of Adobe's own stand-alone Flash player...)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

majorfoo

#3 Post by majorfoo »

Makoto wrote:
(I wonder if anyone's created a .pet of Adobe's own stand-alone Flash player...)
I use flashplayer 11.2.202.238 pet posted by mama21mama at fourth entry from bottom of page

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 148#605148

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

That's not the stand-alone Flash player, that's the Flash plug-in.

Adobe provides a stand-alone player for Flash that you can run like any other program, and play Flash (locally; no streaming that I'm aware of). Whether or not you'll be able to get it to work for everything, is difficult to say.

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Scroll down to the "Download the Linux Flash Player 11.2 Projector (TAR.GZ, 5.72MB)" link; that's the stand-alone player. (There's also one for Flash 10.3 a little farther down the page.)

I've been decompressing the archives, storing the binary in the my-applications folder, and running it from an icon on the desktop. :)

Edit: I've put together something of a .pet package, but dir2pet is crashing on the pet.specs step for me, for some reason. :(
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

eagleye31

#5 Post by eagleye31 »

Im running opera 11, when I go to edit the settings for .swf files there is an option to use an opera plugin. But there are no items in the list. Do I need a plugin in opera to play flash games? The other option is to open with a different application, but flash is not in the list. If didn't need any plugins before I installed XFCE, I just needed the flash player 10.pet which I got from here http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-slacko/

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

The Flash plugin should be enough (and set Opera to load Flash in Opera, from that list). I'm not sure why it would be trying to save the SWFs otherwise, though.

You might try using GetFlash rather than installing Flash from a .pet, and update to the most recent version of Flash, if your system has no problems using Flash 11 over Flash 10. (GetFlash can also install versions of Flash 10, if you choose.)

XFCE might have altered the MIME settings for SWF files - but as I don't use XFCE or know anything about it, I won't be of much help in that regard. :(

eagleye31

Solved

#7 Post by eagleye31 »

I went to the opera forums, and a lot of people are having trouble playing flash on opera. So i switched to Firefox and now everything is fine. Thanks for your help!