Uhuru 421 - Now extremely lighter as first promised!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
hondasid

Uhuru 421 - Now extremely lighter as first promised!

#1 Post by hondasid »

Ok, so I have rebuilt Uhuru because i really didn't like how bloated it was and how i had strayed away from my "only whats required" mantra. The new Uhuru 421 is built off of 421bbnobrowser.

Removed since last version:
VLC
Flash
Seamoney
Java
Foxxit
mtpaint

Added:
XMMS from slaxer_pup
Pidgin 2.6.1
Firedog 1.2

It has a stardust theme and wallpaper, looks very nice. But the important part is

Resulting ISO is 80MB!

I have tested it on a 100mhz 64 MB RAM laptop. Runs like a champ.

2 known issues:
1.chat client didn't keep it's icon on the desktop for some reason. it is located at /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/chat48.png
2.xmms had to be configured to use ALSA Output. Right click the xmms player while it's running and select that option in preferences.

Let me know about anything else you find and how it runs on your old stuff.

Here is the first download spot. Please mirror.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a1bae1g/n/uhuru-421_iso
Last edited by hondasid on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Nice project. Not sure about the bloat factor but this would be much better with Opera than the awful Seamonkey which won't even render my NatWest bank account, inter alia.

hondasid

#3 Post by hondasid »

Uhuru 4.12 used Seamonkey, but I pulled it out for the space saving Firedog 1.2. And the good thing is that all Firefox 2.0 themes are compatible with Firedog. This may fix your banking problem also, idk.

rokytnji

#4 Post by rokytnji »

Downloading now. Will give it a go. :)

Edit: Got a md5sum for it?
Last edited by rokytnji on Fri 13 Nov 2009, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

racepres

Re: Uhuru 421 - Now extremely lighter as first promised!

#5 Post by racepres »

hondasid wrote:
I have tested it on a 100mhz 64 MB RAM laptop. Runs like a champ.

2 known issues:
1.chat client didn't keep it's icon on the desktop for some reason. it is located at /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/chat48.png
2.xmms had to be configured to use ALSA Output. Right click the xmms player while it's running and select that option in preferences.

Let me know about anything else you find and how it runs on your old stuff.
[/url]

Will do, I have a box much like that.. I will check back in on monday or so..
RP

rokytnji

#6 Post by rokytnji »

Ibm A22, PIII 1000 mhz, 256 mb ram, 712 mb primary swap partition, DVDROM drive.

Booted up fine. Connected my Wireless Belkin F5D7010 ver.6 PCMCIA Cardbus with Raylink chipset via RT61 module in kernel.

Changed Xmms to alsa. Inserted Georgia Satellites Let it rock CD. Went to mount DVDROM and Pmount coudn't mount it. Same with Floppy Drive.
DVDROM label is sro in pmount.
Floppy drive is fdo in pmount.

I am just running it in a live session right now with Uhuru running in ram. Maybe that is why pmount can't mount DVDROM. Don't have that problem with Puppy Dingo Full Install on hd0,0. Movies and music play OK in it.

Edit: forgot to mention I am posting from it right now.

Firedog Browser opens quickly and surfs quickly. If I was to install it I would download jreu617-linux and install it so I could download mp3's.
I am adept at instaling java through terminal. Done it in different distros. also symlinking plugins to browsers.

All In all a nice looking/acting Puplet. Nothing fancy, but can be bulked up by user with the skills. Not sure why pmount is giving a hissy fit yet.

rokytnji

#7 Post by rokytnji »

Update, chat isn't opening for some reason, selected Pidgen also from menu and it wouldn't open either. Reinserted Uhuru CD and let it spin up. No change with chat or pidgin opening for me.

Rox opens OK. Console and Xmms open ok also. Write opens OK. So does drives and setup and install. Connect icon works to. Chat doesn't show in Htop when I try to open it.

Pidgin error in rxvt is,

pidgin:error while loading shared libraries: libpurple.so.O: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

That is it for tonight.

hondasid

#8 Post by hondasid »

copy the libpurple and 2 symlinks from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib and /lib. i thought i fixed that problem. i'll take care of it and reupload the iso tomorrow.

DVD doesn't work because the dvdlibs aren't installed. I designed it for P1 processors, which doesn't support DVD's. That was the reason I replaced VLC with XMMS. I'll look into the pmount error and see what's up with that. I also left flash and java out of this version because they eat up a lot of resources on those old units.

I'm working on another puplet called SidPup that is more complete. Will be built for P3 minimum and have some of the heavier programs. Should have it ready next week.

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Interesting boot-up sequence. If I enter boot codes, notably:
<puppy pfix=ram>
I get
"Couldn't find kernel image : puppy"
It then proceeds to boot up normally after the regular time-out.

Firedog took a long time to fire up then gave:
"No flash cookie folder could be found. Press OK if you like to configure a valid path manually"
Best news is that it's Natwest compliant.
It would be nice if you could adopt the strategy used by 'gray' to ensure complete shutdown with ALL chipsets. Ask him if he still does this with acpi=force?
Last edited by Sage on Fri 13 Nov 2009, 12:09, edited 2 times in total.

aragon

#10 Post by aragon »

rokytnji wrote:Changed Xmms to alsa. Inserted Georgia Satellites Let it rock CD. Went to mount DVDROM and Pmount coudn't mount it. Same with Floppy Drive.
DVDROM label is sro in pmount.
Floppy drive is fdo in pmount.
AFAIK you don't mount an audio-cd as it has no filesystem.

if xmms is not able to play your audio-cd, the cd-audio-plugin might be missing.

aragon

Peterm321

#11 Post by Peterm321 »

Hi,

I tried this version, liked VLC media player first time I have used it under linux.

It did not do for me one thing I was looking for (NB I have "dingo" installed on HD - difficult to replace it due to tweaks etc).

What I would like is a fast-boot live CD that supports the latest SFS format. Dingo wont handle it; I think the latest SFS uses LZMA compression. Uhuru 4.21 apparently doesnt handle it either.

Thanks

hondasid

#12 Post by hondasid »

no there is no sfs4 support as that is in the new kernel. i was thinking of making a uhuru431, but first i have to get my barebones build of puppy431 built (still learning woof). It's a bit harder because of the script changes barry made and pet-be-gone no longer works. I'm working on that though, look for it in a few weeks.

there used to be lzma support in puppy1. maybe you could extract that pkg and see if that works? IDK, just a thought.

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

Addendum: as well as implementing a full shutdown for all chipsets, it would be a nice polishing exercise to have the tray eject, too - something that Puppy has never done, not even by 'gray'!

hondasid

#14 Post by hondasid »

that's getting into puppy scripts. a whole other thread
I'm just trying to make a puppy that runs on P1 well.

sc0ttman

#15 Post by sc0ttman »

Just a quick idea, feel free to ignore it, of course...

Firedog includes Chatzilla, so you could get rid of all other IRC clients (XChat?), if you think ChatZilla does the job well enough.. Same goes for gFTP (which never works well for me anyway)...

This would further reduce bloat (a bit!), and remove the resetting icon bug. :)
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

hondasid

#16 Post by hondasid »

I will look into the chatzilla idea. pidgin would remove some extra bloat and run faster on older hardware.

working on compiling new editions of everything for 421 to make a cutting edge updated version.
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

Peterm321

#17 Post by Peterm321 »

no there is no sfs4 support as that is in the new kernel. i was thinking of making a uhuru431, but first i have to get my barebones build of puppy431 built (still learning woof).
Sorry, my ignorance. It does seem that the 2.6.30.* Kernels have sfs4, and I discovered from DPUP that it wouldn't load sfs3. After some research on the forums I discovered that DPUP does have the programs mksquashfs3/mksquashfs4 and unsquashfs3/unsquashfs4. Those work on "dingo" too.

davec51

Wired Network

#18 Post by davec51 »

I like the speed and simplicity of Uhuru, but I can't figure out how to connect with my wired network. Other Puppies have a convenient Samba scanner. Does someone have a quick tutorial for the Uhuru network scanner?

hondasid

#19 Post by hondasid »

i did not include samba with this build. a wired internet connection can be connected using the network wizard, on the setup icon or wizard wizard.
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

raffy

Pwireless

#20 Post by raffy »

There is Pwireless in the Network menu! (How about CUPS?)

Thanks for your project, hondasid. Certainly a small build without Flash will work wonders for old PCs.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].