How to download movies with the Transmission program?

Booting, installing, newbie
jpsimm

How to download movies with the Transmission program?

#1 Post by jpsimm »

There is something I don't understand. To use Transmission it seems all one has to do is to drag a torrent URL into the Transmission window and click on "new". But here is what happens to me.

I search for a movie I want then click "download" on it's website. Invariably I am offered a downloading .exe file but no actual torrent from which I can capture the URL to put into Transmission. What is the good of an .exe file with Transmission? Am I doing something wrong? Must I have the Torrent program that all these websites offer? They all presuppose that I am using Windows too.

What are the specific steps for downloading with "Transmission" :?:

Thank you anyone who can help

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

It would seem you're on a dodgy site that is looking to install a virus or other malicious code on your windows machine. Lucky for you you are using puppy, and are somewhat immune to that sort of thing.

Best solution is to visit an official site to purchase the movie you want to see. If you insist on doing something that is possibly illegal (depends on the content and your area) find a better torrent site that doesn't try to mess with your 'pruter.

jpsimm

#3 Post by jpsimm »

p310don wrote:It would seem you're on a dodgy site that is looking to install a virus or other malicious code on your windows machine. Lucky for you you are using puppy, and are somewhat immune to that sort of thing.

Best solution is to visit an official site to purchase the movie you want to see. If you insist on doing something that is possibly illegal (depends on the content and your area) find a better torrent site that doesn't try to mess with your 'pruter.

Kindly avoid being cavalier and/or patronizing in your reply. It is quite unnecessary for you to lecture me on legal issues and your opinion of how I should conduct myself on the internet is both unasked for and unwanted.

It take it from your response that you do not know how to use "Transmission". This is what I want to know. There are no tutorials for this program not even on the Transmission website.

When I open Transmission and click on "add" my file manager opens as though I am first to have had some program or script in readiness there. But where does this supposed program come from? That is the question. How does one obtain the file that subsequently linked to Transmission.

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I believe that files with the .exe suffix are peculiar to Windows and can't be used by Puppy, except possibly in Wine. I could be wrong.

James C

#5 Post by James C »

Purely for informational purposes.....

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/sca ... rrents.htm
Futhermore: if there is an exe executable file included, then avoid that download! For movies and music, there is no need for an executable file to be present, nor should there be any passwords or any special download instructions

jpsimm

#6 Post by jpsimm »

Flash wrote:I believe that files with the .exe suffix are peculiar to Windows and can't be used by Puppy, except possibly in Wine. I could be wrong.
Yes and thank you. .Exe files are, indeed, Microsoft types and will not open organically in any Linux.

Do you know how to use "Transmission"? Plainly that program requires that the user will already have an URL to insert and thus begin a torrent download but there are no instructions and no clue as to how one obtains this URL.

Thanks

jpsimm

#7 Post by jpsimm »

This is an update to my query.

I just found out that what is causing the confusion for me is the fact that the world of Bit Torrents is busy changing from direct downloading to a new format which they call "Torrent Magnets". Under this new system rather than beginning a downloading by dragging the torrent file into Transmission it is required now that only a small file is dragged. This file then works through the browser and links/begins the larger download.

When I discovered this I did not know about torrent magnets. What I did see was that a small .exe file was being offered me. Plainly it is expected that everyone uses Microsoft Windows else why wouldn't they offer files for other OS's?

I've noticed lately that this switch to magnets is true of many other sites. I've been trying to obtain the Space Cadet Table game from Windows to hack into a Linux OS and all I can find are torrent magnet (.exe) files where before the whole program would be available.

This is my question then. How does one use Transmission, under Puppy Linux inasmuch as virtually all magnet files are now .exe?

Anyone know?

666philb

#8 Post by 666philb »

hi jpsimm,

magnet links and torrents are not .exe's!! if you are clicking on movie torrents or magnet links and exe's are downloading, this is a sure fire way to know that you are using a dodgy site. if you would have installed these .exe's on windows you would probably end up with a load of toolbars, trojans & other trash installed unwantedly, and still no movie!!

so first off, use a different torrent site! http://isohunt.com/ if you click on a torrent here, it will actually download a .torrent file that you can open in transmission.

as for magnet links (pirate bay has no torrent files, just magnet links) right click on the magnet link and choose 'copy link location' then in transmission choose 'file' then 'open url' and paste the link into the box, then press open and open again.

note: that is is possible to have the browser do all this automatically, but you'll need someone else to tell you how to do that.

One final note, before you start downloading stuff, in transmission preferences, make sure to set download location to your harddrive (it will quickly fill up your savefile else), also set to 'keep incomplete torrents in' folder to your hardrive aswell
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

p310don

#9 Post by p310don »

Kindly avoid being cavalier and/or patronizing in your reply. It is quite unnecessary for you to lecture me on legal issues and your opinion of how I should conduct myself on the internet is both unasked for and unwanted.
Lecture? Wow, if it was, it was a short one at that!

I'm sorry you have taken my good advice to be patronising or cavalier. It was not intended to be that at all. Simply, I don't feel that it is right to recommend a particular site to download copyrighted things from, although some others have made recommendations above me. It does seem however, that you could use a change of site to get your movies from.

If whichever site you are visiting is giving you an .exe file, in my experience, that is usually some dodgy bit of software that is trying to install onto your computer to do something, probably malicious.

The sites mentioned above this post are generally better for downloading the correct thing, usually and .avi or mp4, rather than dodgy .exe files. Those sites have review systems that will usually tell you if there is something nasty in your download.

Most often a .torrent file will automatically work with transmission in most puppies, for magnet links, 666philb offers great advice in his post above this.

jpsimm

#10 Post by jpsimm »

p310don wrote:
Lecture? Wow, if it was, it was a short one at that!

I'm sorry you have taken my good advice to be patronising or cavalier. It was not intended to be that at all. Simply, I don't feel that it is right to recommend a particular site to download copyrighted things from, although some others have made recommendations above me. It does seem however, that you could use a change of site to get your movies from.

If whichever site you are visiting is giving you an .exe file, in my experience, that is usually some dodgy bit of software that is trying to install onto your computer to do something, probably malicious.

The sites mentioned above this post are generally better for downloading the correct thing, usually and .avi or mp4, rather than dodgy .exe files. Those sites have review systems that will usually tell you if there is something nasty in your download.

Most often a .torrent file will automatically work with transmission in most puppies, for magnet links, 666philb offers great advice in his post above this.

My questions was nothing to do with the question of copyrighted material. Yes. I could purchase a DVD of a movie but not of all movies. Thousands of old movies have expired copyrights and are no longer available in this way. Indeed I could throw away my computer, too, and revert to snail mail for everything. I like computers though.

Since posting this question I tried the same download using Transmission under Ubuntu and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks