ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cinclus_cinclus

Black screen with Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G45

#76 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

I get only a black screen when booting into my Intel G45 based system. (No problems with my NC10 netbook.)

Booting into a console isn't possible as well.

Archpup 1204 doesn't seem to accept any kernel boot parameters like pfix=nox or xorg=vesa ...

Any help highly appreciated.

oui

what is ArchPup1204

#77 Post by oui »

Hi

I did experiment today with ArchPup as the weather was to bad to do something else.

Mozilla:

There is no Mozilla included.

I did never use some *.pet or *.sfs from Puppy for Mozilla :lol: . It is completely silly dilly as with one hit on the package directly downloaded from Mozilla, you get a lib directory with all what you need and really actual (ok, you need perhaps some dependencies depending from Puplet...).

There is no need to include it into the puplet by real installation: It is really as well outside directly in the home partition! and it works very well so.

For that, you need only a link in /usr/lib to the directory of your lovely mozilla in the partition and a link in /usr/bin to the precedent link in the /usr/lib with the completed path to the starting module:

# ln -s /mnt/home/.../seamonkey /usr/lib/seamonkey
# ln -s /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/firefox (yes firefox, as it is already existing in the menu as entry "browser")

and, as I suppose that ArchPup-1204 ignore the usual puppy home dir, I did add a dir

# mkdir /mnt/home into the file system as well as a command

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/home

into /root/.start so that the dir "home" is immediately already at starting time.

It is useful to complete the downloaded and unpacked Mozilla with a subdir .../plugins and to add in it an flashplayer.so from an other Puppy you are using

as well as a subdir /dictionnaries if you are using some ones (you need pairs of files as en-GB.aff + en-GB.dic).

probably it would be possible to do the same with /adblocplus (being to find in a /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/pipapo123.default/addblockplus) but I did not test that until yet.

(the objective is that you save file or, if you work as I completely without save file, the time to create and populate /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/pipapo123.default/ , has to be small!)

add packages from Arch

In my opinion, it is the last thing to do :roll: !

why?

because:

SFS-Load on the fly

- works really very well
- supports till 20 SFS (very different from other Puppy's with only 6)

also why fatten my smart Puplet with things if I don't need them permanently :wink: ?

I am sorry, but I don't like the place of the entry for "SFS-Load on the fly" in the menu in a submenu of submenu! It would be really better to use a permanet icon in the task bar on the sound mixer icon for example, as it is an essential function in a base-only-Puppy able to manage perfectly as much SFS's!! And I don't like the tons of little windows opening why I don't use some save file etc. I know what I do and don't need permanently a controller or employee to remember me what I do! It costs my time to answer such silly dilly messages and I don't like that... sorry, it is my opinion! a fluid work processing is not possible under such disturbing activity for nothing. ideal would be a/ I hit on an icon in the task bar, b/ I select a SFS, c/ I enter return, finish!
and to unload a SFS I would use the menu...

next problem is that a lot of available *.sfs packages already existing needs other dependencies OR, and that is very vicious in Linux, REQUIRE EXISTING lib's UNDER AN OTHER NAME :oops: ...

so we can only do a thing: announce in a separate thread tested SFS packages already tested and the url where they are offered to download. I did test today a lot of the big quantity of SFS being offered by Lazy Puppy (a really superb collection on a fast server), but rare are the SFS starting well - Firefox does it, LP2-LibreOffice331.sfs does it also (but requires 4 times java, that is not really needed for all operations... a bad heritage from the dependence from SUN :cry: ! it is really unpleasant!) etc.

I miss of course mTpaint as well as divers very small goodies, beeing permanently available (especially didiwiki as it is a real extrem small to elaborate smart texts for the own use)

and, very important, a package to print, scan and OCR texts! I don't need them each day as the modern kind of live is more email and sms oriented, but often. it is no reason to install them permanently and fatten so the ideal small Puplet! a office helping SFS would be very well with cups gutenprint, xsane and gocr! but a Linux without printing support is a poor Linux...

what are you thinking about the best ways to fatten this elegant and smart Puppy without to make it unnecessary fat?

kind regards

oui

Re: Black screen with Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G45

#78 Post by oui »

Hi
cinclus_cinclus wrote:Booting into a console isn't possible as well.
as this Puppy starts very fast, you can return to one of the consoles as usual by hitting on Ctrl+Alt+F2 .. F6. But Arch requires a password in the other consoles!

It seems you can (perhaps) continue Ctrl+Alt+F1 and continue your process passwordfree in the first console!

Kind regards

stifiling

#79 Post by stifiling »

Is everyone testing using ethernet/wired connections? my wifi isn't working on any of my computer's due to the fact that the firmware isn't loading.

I tried switching the kernel and got wlan0 to finally show up....but, dhcpcd gets frozen when requesting an ip address from the router.

Anyone have any knowledge of getting 'basic' wireless working?

greengeek

#80 Post by greengeek »

stifiling wrote:Anyone have any knowledge of getting 'basic' wireless working?
How to get the wifi going via cli depends on whether you are using WEP, WPA etc (they need different methods to set up the connection) and also depending on how the puppy is set up (where wpa_supplicant and other files are found etc...). Also, it depends on your hardware as some wifi interfaces might still show up as eth1, and some as Wlan0 etc.

Tempestuous has a whole topic on programming wifi via cli here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

Here is an example that I found useful when setting up a WPA connection in a different Puppy (Haven't tried this with ArchPup yet as my wifi card firmware is not loading):

Step 1) Create a new /etc/wpa_supplicant file containing the following:
(altering the relevant details to match your wifi network)

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=2
update_config=1

network={
   id_str="some name to identify the connection you are creating"
   ssid="the SSID name of your router"
   psk="the shared key password for your router"
   proto=WPA
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   pairwise=TKIP
   group=TKIP
   priority=1
} 
Step 2) In a terminal enter the following:
ifconfig eth1 up
then:
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
(this will then connect but the terminal will appear to hang. Open a new terminal and continue...)

Step 3) dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc12345 -d eth1
(the puppypc12345 is the hostname, which should be made unique so each PC stays separately identified)

Step 4) type: ifconfig and check that IP has been correctly assigned

So, after I've created the wpa_supplicant file, all I need to do is run a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth1 up
sleep 10
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
sleep 40
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc12345 -d eth1
(I probably didn't need such a long sleep before the dhcpcd request though)
Last edited by greengeek on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.

stifiling

#81 Post by stifiling »

@greengeek

thanks for the reply, but yes....i believe that the firmware not loading...is what's blocking the action. one of my computers 'normally' uses eth1 and the other wlan0.....but, neither show's up on either machine using Archpup and the reason is once again......the firmware isn't loading.

mavrothal

#82 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:@greengeek

thanks for the reply, but yes....i believe that the firmware not loading...is what's blocking the action. one of my computers 'normally' uses eth1 and the other wlan0.....but, neither show's up on either machine using Archpup and the reason is once again......the firmware isn't loading.
I had the same issue. In my case was a udev issue.
Install the attached ped and see if net interfaces are found on reboot.
To install (since there is no petget in Archpup)

tar xvzf  udev_luki_racy-167-i486.pet
cp -aRf udev_luki_racy-167-i486/* /
If not it may help to add this code in rc.local

udevadm trigger  --action=add --subsystem-match="net"
udevadm settle
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

cinclus_cinclus

Re: Black screen with Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G45

#83 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

oui wrote:you can return to one of the consoles as usual by hitting on Ctrl+Alt+F2 .. F6. But Arch requires a password in the other consoles!

It seems you can (perhaps) continue Ctrl+Alt+F1 and continue your process passwordfree in the first console!
oui. Thanks for replying.

Ctrl+Alt+F1 .. F6 aren't available after booting into a black screen because the system freezes completely after starting xorg. Sometimes I can interrupt the booting process by hitting Ctrl+C. So I can sometimes get the root console.

simargl

#84 Post by simargl »

@mavrothal: I tried to recompile udev with --enable-extras, but got this after make install:

>> Starting package...
make --no-print-directory install-recursive
Making install in .
test -z "/lib/udev" || /bin/mkdir -p "/mnt/home/puppy/pkgbuild/udev/install/lib/udev"
 /TOOLCHAIN/build/baby1-8.0-trunk-puppy5-x86-i486-linux/TOOLCHAIN/tools.chroot/wrapper/install -c extras/rule_generator/write_cd_rules extras/rule_generator/write_net_rules '/mnt/home/puppy/pkgbuild/udev/install/lib/udev'
/bin/sh: line 19: /TOOLCHAIN/build/baby1-8.0-trunk-puppy5-x86-i486-linux/TOOLCHAIN/tools.chroot/wrapper/install: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [install-dist_libexecSCRIPTS] Error 127
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2
used udev-167-patched_t2.tar.gz from http://bkhome.org/sources, and this looks like
error in Makefile. Also I noticed that your udev pet package has 26 *.rules in /lib/udev/rules.d,
but in this I compiled and included in ArchPup there's only 12 of them. Did you use some different source?

@slenkar: I guess you forgot to add 'ca-certificates' to depends list, or if that don't work (it should) replace this
https://github.com/keenerd/packer.git/info/refs with this
git://github.com/keenerd/packer.git/info/refs in PKGBUILD.

@oui: /mnt/home should be created automatically by rc.sysinit, as link to /initrd/mnt/dev_save,
or I am missing something here.

mavrothal

#85 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: used udev-167-patched_t2.tar.gz from http://bkhome.org/sources, and this looks like
error in Makefile. Also I noticed that your udev pet package has 26 *.rules in /lib/udev/rules.d,
but in this I compiled and included in ArchPup there's only 12 of them. Did you use some different source?
If I remember correctly I used udev-167 from T2 (which I think is vanilla)

Keep in mind that "extras" compilation require acl and acl does not work in aufs. So you should compile in a "full install" puppy or plain ArchLinux.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#86 Post by simargl »

This is new udev version 175 compiled in archpup, using source from debian mirror, and without any patches.
Its working fine here so I'm uploading for you to test. Backup your save file before you begin...
To install it. First rename udev-175-1.tar.bz2 to udev-175-1.spkg, then:

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/simargl/spkg
cd spkg
sh install
then remove old udev and install new:

spkg -r udev
spkg -i udev-175-1.spkg
Everyone who had problems with wireless because firmware modules was not loading etc. please test this and report your findings. Thanks :)
Last edited by simargl on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

slenkar

#87 Post by slenkar »

heres my depends line:depends=('grep' 'sed' 'bash' 'curl' 'pacman' 'jshon' 'ca-certificates')

I changed the address but it said it wasnt valid, it could be becuase my clock is the wrong time.

In the archlinux docs it says to use timedatectl but that command doesnt exist (and cant be installed by pacman)
Last edited by slenkar on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

cinclus_cinclus

remove startx from boot-process

#88 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

Because I have to configure intel-xorg-video driver manually I have to first boot into a console which is not reliably possible (please, see my previous post).

As a first step to further analysis of the graphics-driver-problem I have to comment out the command which starts xorg/opendesktop und then remaster the root-filesystem. But I couldn't locate that command.

@simargl. Could you please help.

slenkar

#89 Post by slenkar »

can you see the speaker icon in the bottom left at least?

If so , right click on the screen and choose the third option from the bottom

simargl

#90 Post by simargl »

@cinclus_cinclus: You need to remove or comment last lines in /etc/profile, inside if statement.
intel-xorg-video is already inside and also intel-dri, mesa... so for intel cards 3D should
work out of the box, I also use intel card btw. xorg.conf in /etc/X11 is almost empty file and Xorg
use udev to automatically load best driver for your graphic card, or if it's not available it will then use vesa.

@slenkar: Can you if test this works

git clone git://github.com/keenerd/packer.git

mavrothal

#91 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:This is new udev version 175 compiled in archpup, using source from debian mirror, and without any patches.
Its working fine here so I'm uploading for you to test. Backup your save file before you begin...
To install it: First remove folder /lib/udev/rules.d, then extract package

tar -xf udev-175-1.tar.bz2
and copy content inside install folder to rootfs

cp -aRf install/* /
Everyone who had problems with wireless because firmware modules was not loading etc. please test this and report your findings. Thanks :)
Didn't quite work for me.
Usually the files are in /lib/udev and not in /lib also libudev goes to /lib and not /usr/lib (otherwise you end up with libs in both places).
Maybe I did not manage to clear all the old udev files. I'll give it another try, but maybe is better to use consistent file location so will overwrite the preexisting ones.

simargl

#92 Post by simargl »

Usually the files are in /lib/udev and not in /lib also libudev goes to /lib and not /usr/lib (otherwise you end up with libs in both places).
Thanks, I fixed that recompiled and changed instructions, to make clean reinstall.
See here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 885#668885

mavrothal

#93 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:
Thanks, I fixed that recompiled and changed instructions, to make clean reinstall.
See here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 885#668885
Yep. That's good. wifi is OK.
Though I still have the same problems as I had with my udev-167. ie terminal still needs /dev/pts to run.
I did not check if there are any devices in initrd, but you might need udev also there, though the kernel should be configured to support this.
Also I noticed a lot of broken kmod symlinks in archpup. Is it booting with kmod?

simargl

#94 Post by simargl »

I see that /dev/pts is not created for me either, but terminal is still working. Its so strange because I remember that earlier it refused to work with error 'Cannot open your terminal /dev/pts'. Maybe to test with this in rc.sysinit

mkdir /dev/pts
busybox mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
kmod was in /usr/bin, and I moved it to /sbin, to create modules.dep on startup if needed.

mv install/usr/bin/kmod install/sbin/kmod
rm install/sbin/{depmod,modprobe}
rm install/usr/bin/{insmod,lsmod,modinfo,rmmod}
cp install/sbin/kmod install/sbin/depmod
ln -s /sbin/kmod install/sbin/modprobe
ln -s /sbin/kmod install/sbin/insmod
ln -s /sbin/kmod install/sbin/lsmod 
ln -s /sbin/kmod install/sbin/modinfo
ln -s /sbin/kmod install/sbin/rmmod
Please tell me where are broken links. Did I forget something?

cinclus_cinclus

#95 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

simargl wrote:@cinclus_cinclus: You need to remove or comment last lines in /etc/profile, inside if statement.
OK.
(Intel-3D-driver) ... if it's not available it will then use vesa.
I'm afraid not: neither the intel nor the vesa are installed automatically.

So for the moment I got a working solution with the following configuration (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf):

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier             "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier             "Device0"
    Driver                 "vesa" #Choose the driver used for this monitor
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier             "Screen0"  #Collapse Monitor and Device section to Screen section
    Device                 "Device0"
    Monitor                "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth           24 #Choose the depth (16||24)
    SubSection             "Display"
        Depth                24
        Modes                "1280x1024" #Choose the resolution
    EndSubSection
EndSection
I never got a problem before with an Xorg-Intel-driver on my MSI G45M Digital mobo on any other distribution (an exception was SALIX).