ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oui

what is the future of ArchPup?

#151 Post by oui »

Hi

Using Arch Pup all the time since it did appear here, I am very happy with all the conception of this smart, fast (1/2 starting time of course in relation also with the size of the ISO: I have not to wait the starting of a lot of applications sizes which I will never use in a great time of sessions...) and flexible distribution!

I only miss one: A ready to use SFS for printing, networking, and media (commando line mplayer would be enough in a first approach and probably better as more as flashplayer, being easy to install, does a lot within a browser...) as such activity are sometimes really tricky to install...

But it was not my question today. Today is my question: What is the future of ArchPup as Arch is a rolling distribution? Two ways seem to be possible:

- way 1: the maintener of this distro publishes all n month a new frish release

- way 2: he writes and publishes a script downloading the stuff from Arch and making automatic this actualiised release on demand! It would of course be the really perfect solution, as it would make the people using this base to build special puplets to help himself starting or publishing a new work to make certain to start the work / the publication with a really actual version!

What is the road map in this matter?

Kind regards

stifiling

#152 Post by stifiling »

the kernel panic on usb booting with a save file is a massive downer. having high hopes that it'll be resolved.

mavrothal

#153 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:the kernel panic on usb booting with a save file is a massive downer. having high hopes that it'll be resolved.
Yes it is.
One other thing I can think of is the absence of a distro ID string in archpup that the puppy init script uses to find its files.
I'll try to test that latter and see if it works.

Latter: No is not the ID string :(
Also tried an old init script (May 2010). Same thing :? :?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#154 Post by stifiling »

i remastered precise (which we all know works as expected) replacing /usr /var /root and /lib, (all but /lib/modules) with the files from archpuppy. of course the system didn't work properly, X didn't start and so on but it did load to a tty prompt.

so i say, great...it loaded completely, let's try with a save file from USB.

i created a precisesave.2fs file and tried to boot it from USB and 'kernel panic'. So...i'm knowing it's not of 'much' help but based on that test, from what i can tell, the problem is in one of those dirs.

i originally thought it was something in /etc.

michiamophil

#155 Post by michiamophil »

Hi all
I'm new in this forum and I really like puppy with arch :)
I was looking for a distro for my eeepc and I found puppeee, but it not seems still developed..
I think archpup should be fine for netbook, maybe with kernel-netbook installed, that it's simple to install by pacman :)
I'll do some tests soon!

mavrothal

#156 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote: i originally thought it was something in /etc.
It is something in etc! :D
I did some voodoo boot and debug 8) and turns out that the panic is when it is accessing /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG in the save file.
Turns out that if you take any puppy and you remove/rename the /etc/rc.d from the savefile (in another machine) you get a kernel panic when you try to boot.
Why this is happening when you have the savefile in a USB stick but not when in a HD, I have no idea. :? I' ll ask Barry I guess.
In the mean time, looks like that savefile creation in archpup must become more puppy-like. Is rather awkward the way it is right now anyway.

(latter) Till then if you want to boot with a save file in a USB, after you create it mount it and add these 2 files
/etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG

Code: Select all

EXTRASFSLIST=''
PREVUNIONRECORD='archsave.2fs arch-1204.sfs'
LASTUNIONRECORD='archsave.2fs arch-1204.sfs'
and
/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

PUPMODE=13
PDEV1=''
DEV1FS=''
PUPSFS='sda1,ext3,/arch-1204.sfs'
PUPSAVE='sda1,ext3,/archsave.2fs'
PMEDIA='atahd'
#ATADRIVES is all internal ide/pata/sata drives, excluding optical, excluding usb...
ATADRIVES='sda '
#ATAOPTICALDRIVES is list of non-usb optical drives...
ATAOPTICALDRIVES='sr0 '
#these directories are unionfs/aufs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_rw'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the archsave file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV=''
#complete set of modules in the initrd (moved to main f.s.)...
ZDRVINIT='no'
#Partition no. override on boot drive to which session is (or will be) saved...
PSAVEMARK=''
PSUBDIR=''
Make sure you adjust the paths and the USB filesystem accordingly
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:40, edited 2 times in total.

stifiling

#157 Post by stifiling »

It would be nice if this project sparked an interest in Barry. Looking at it from this side of the table...it appears as though it would be 'easier' and plain, 'better' to base a traditional puppy off this head start.

the ubuntu based puppys don't install the big apps like wicd, blueman, pulseaudio, and others correctly. At least they didn't in Lucid and from that lesson learned, i never wasted time trying them in Precise.

This archpuppy that i'm using on my computer now is a clone of my full arch linux. every app i use works but faster. i'm a click away from scraping the full arch linux installation. It's just sitting there, never being used, on a 'just in case' status, the same as XP.

darkcity

#158 Post by darkcity »

that's interesting that the repository support actually works, I've found this a problem all Puppy's I've used.

oui

#159 Post by oui »

Stop mavrothal
mavrothal wrote:In the mean time, looks like that savefile creation in archpup must become more puppy-like. Is rather awkward the way it is right now anyway.
Please, let Archpup as it is, different, more as old first Puppy's were!!

The GREAT performances of Archpup are

- 1/2 Size (*1
- 1/2 Starting time
- NO loose of time with silly dilly little windows to ask if my gran'ma, my gran'pa etc. and later, doing shutting down, if I will a safe file!
- dynamic Puppy menu and task bar
- task bar left, exactly at the place where occidental text lines begin :roll: = ergonomic :!: I usually never need to find an other mouse cursor position!
- great packaging system from Arch packages
- great conversion ability *.PET > *.SFS
- great management from *. SFS : it works perfectly

Why do you want a save file?

Are you not able to know and use the 5 lines needed to remaster Archpup with some personal data? Poor, really poor :oops: !!!

You don't need to install any *.PETs! Have you loose the reason?

You can transfer all *. PET's working well into *.SFS: IT IS INCLUDED IN PERFECTION

Please let the smudge hands away from Archpup and let it as it is!

Kind regards

(*1 compared with Slacko, a medium size Puppy!

mavrothal

#160 Post by mavrothal »

oui,
I just spend few good hours trying to solve a major bug in ArchPup.
You are clearly unable to appreciate it, but please at least stop screaming.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

oui

#161 Post by oui »

mavrothal wrote:oui,
I just spend few good hours trying to solve a major bug in ArchPup.
good
You are clearly unable to appreciate it, but please at least stop screaming.
and because you did help, I did observe it, it is so,

you will now

rebuild the concept of the good work of sigmargl?

it would more bad as I did consider it just now :oops: ...

my question again:

"why do you want a save file in THIS puplet!"

you already have 100 bad Puplets with the terrible save file question shutting down the system :roll: !

take an other one!

mavrothal

#162 Post by mavrothal »

oui wrote: my question again:

Maybe because I'm crazy.
Or maybe because ArchPup is designed to have a savefile.
Or maybe because there is no OS in the word without the ability to save your data.
Hmm,... maybe it is not me who is the crazy one here.

oui

#163 Post by oui »

mavrothal wrote:
oui wrote: my question again:

Maybe because I'm crazy.
It is YOUR opinion, but I would be able to live with it :lol: !
Or maybe because ArchPup is designed to have a savefile.
it is absurd:

open Thunar (or the save procedure of EACH classic application as Firefox, Abiword etc.):

you see all your drives and partitions and

CAN SAVE ALL YOUR WORKS!

It absolutely not true:
Or maybe because there is no OS in the word without the ability to save your data.
Your data are this way absolutely secure! And about all good applications

require you save correctly before leaving the job!

You did probably mean your setup values! It is different! And that is perversion: We work as "root" without password! Only "playing systems" do that (I would better add a real login function with root and user to Archpup as a not serious playing save file! After first start remasters Archpup itself with the encrypted 2 passwords and the new user(s) name(s) in real Linux secure manner).

No secure Linux at all!

And it is easy to remaster Arxhpup with a few of the setup values being really not critical. They are after that included in the arch-1204.sfs and nothing more that you would regret at the next day if in internet once accede to your unprotected "root" puppy account!
Hmm,... maybe it is not me who is the crazy one here.
for this reason, I find it is really silly dilly to add any save file to a system needing nothing! As well as I did meet myself, Archpup did setup my computer correctly full automatic! And starts fast doing that!

Not one question

not one little window!

What is the need of your fun save file to start on normal systems :roll: :idea: !

Ok, other systems...

sigmarl did procure a way, no not one, different ways

a. menu > system >> setup >>> Make personal save file
b. menu > system >> setup >>> Resize personal storage file
c. commando line

to add and extend a save file! it is not enough for you?

Surprising...

Kind regards

anikin

#164 Post by anikin »

oui,
please do not discourage mavrothal from doing his work. He's doing it for those of us who lack the knowledge, that you and he have. I need the save file to be able to save not external data, but some very basic internal settings of Archpup. So far I'm unable to do that the way it's easily done with other puppies. Unless I'm mistaken, simargl himself acknowledged the save file does not work as it should. Once, the problem is solved, it will be up to the end user to decide whether to use the save function or not.

stifiling

#165 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:(latter) Till then if you want to boot with a save file in a USB, after you create it mount it and add these 2 files
It FRIGGIN' works DUDE!!...thanks for diagnosing that issue and coming with a resolution. You're a smart fellow, bud.

But I myself like to remaster a 'clean base' arch-1204.sfs with what i consider necessary apps. And then give that base to my mother, sister, cousin, brother, etc. and let them go from there. Do i want to explain to them, "Hey bro, all you got to do is, take these 5 lines, and remaster it, and pet2sfs your other favorite apps and........". come on now, that's just tacky, and cumbersome, and enough for my bro's reply to be "You know what bro, I think I'll just keep using Precise."

Thanks again mavrothal...u've filled a major gap in this incomplete derivative. It's still done from a tinkerer's/geek's standpoint...and until it's integrated more 'naturally', it'll prolly keep slowly but surely sinking down to the second page of this "Puppy Derivatives" forum.

I've noticed this hasn't gotten an extreme amt of attention, and i'm sure you have too....why? no one knows how to use it. Except geeky geeks.

It really is though, since mavrothal's tweaks...so far, the best GNU/Linux OS i've ever used. Arch Linux and Puppy Linux....are a head to head tie. ArchPuppy, is better than both of them.

mavrothal

#166 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote: It FRIGGIN' works DUDE
Actually it does not!
Yes, does not crash but also will not save the data at shutdown since ArchPup does not have the snapmergepuppy and its associates.
Plan B below works (with caveats).
stifiling wrote: But I myself like to remaster a 'clean base' arch-1204.sfs
For that you must also change the initrd/init and comment out lines 867-869 that read

[ "$REMOVABLEDRVSAVE" = "1"  -a  "$PMEDIA" != "usbhd" ] && PUPMODE=13  #110116 shinobar.
  [ "$PMEDIA" = "usbflash" ] && PUPMODE=13 #v404 fix classmate, with internal usb flash.
  [ "$PMEDIA" = "ataflash" ] && PUPMODE=13 #w019 constrain writes to internal flash drv.
and repackage the initrd.gz

However, in this cases removing the stick while working will crash the machine (will be like removing your hard drive!). That's why in pupmode 13 the RW layer is in tempfs and not in pupsave (and actually this is the reason that you get the kernel panic).

So despite oui's delirium, making the savefile process more puppy-like is the way to go here (and there are some nice pets to do that) if you want a USB-portable ArchPup.
But I'll leave that to simargl
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 13 Dec 2012, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

#167 Post by stifiling »

@mavrothal

hmm...the snapmergepuppy script is returning the error "find: unrecognized: -mount"

would u happen to know the way around that?

I'm presently using:
rsync -avz /initrd/pup_rw/* /initrd/pup_ro1

mavrothal

#168 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:@mavrothal

hmm...the snapmergepuppy script is returning the error "find: unrecognized: -mount"
I can imagine that...
From the top of my head (unfortunately I will not be able to use archpup till next week), I would think you may need to rename the /bin/mount binary to /bin/mount-FULL (assuming that in ArchPup is the original and not a link to busybox) and copy the /bin/mount script from a recent puppy.
Also check if /bin/find is the full version or a symlink to busybox. You need the full version
In addition you may need aufs-utils.

Finally, snapmerge is using the ash shell. I'm not sure what is the status of ash in Archpup, but in puppy is a symlink to bash. You may want to change "#!/bin/ash" to "#!/bin/bash" at the first line of snapmerge script, to be sure.
Also change ~line 49

[ "`echo "$RUNPS" | grep 'pup_event_frontend_d'`" != "" ] && XRUNNING="yes" #v4.01 v409
to

[ "`echo "$RUNPS" | grep 'pup_volume_monitor'`" != "" ] && XRUNNING="yes" #v4.01 v409
(check with `ps' to make sure that "pup_volume_monitor" is the correct name)

While at it add also "set -x" as a second line in snapmerge. If you then run it from the terminal, will tell you exactly what it is doing and hopefully where the problem may be.

mrgreen

ArchPup

#169 Post by mrgreen »

Very interested to know how to get involved. Got linked to iso this morning on ArchBang forums. Currently ArchBang weighs in around ~571mb, imagine my shock at seeing a similar desktop at 78mb.

Are there any guides, link or tutorials to see how Archpup is created?

Am assuming you are running a custom kernel/udev and not running systemd

oui

Re: ArchPup

#170 Post by oui »

Hi mrgreen
mrgreen wrote:Very interested to know how to get involved. Got linked to iso this morning on ArchBang forums. Currently ArchBang weighs in around ~571mb, imagine my shock at seeing a similar desktop at 78mb.

Are there any guides, link or tutorials to see how Archpup is created?

Am assuming you are running a custom kernel/udev and not running systemd
pls erase the content of one of both messages (you can!)

your question:
simargl wrote:Hi, it's not made with woolf2 but use settings from rootfs-skeleton
inside woof.
To make it I used 3 scripts:
- spkg package manager which uses def-scripts to create packages
similiar to arch PKGBUILD or slitaz receipt
-paka is script to convert arch linux packages into spkg.
For all compiled or converted packages this creates folder inside
/var/lib/pacman/local in format $NAME-$VERSION-$REVISION,
so pacman will recognize them as installed.
-finally script called arch is used to extract packages,
create needed busybox links, move some libriaries to /lib,
split development files and create arch-1204.sfs

https://bitbucket.org/simargl
see also the next message from simargl at page 2

and see more here: https://bitbucket.org/simargl/archpup

Kind regards